Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
I saw an ad on craigslist for a MacBook pro 15 inch that says it works but it needs a new video card. Does that mean it needs a new logic board? I'm sorry if it's a noob question, I haven't studied macbooks at all because I have a PowerBook. It's for a low price, should I get it?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I saw an ad on craigslist for a MacBook pro 15 inch that says it works but it needs a new video card. Does that mean it needs a new logic board? I'm sorry if it's a noob question, I haven't studied macbooks at all because I have a PowerBook. It's for a low price, should I get it?

It means that it needs a new motherboard. IF it is for under $250, I would think it is a good deal. But, I would recommend saving up for a new one, because this MBP might be a lost cause.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If it's got one of those videocards that are faulty and tend to fail (I forgot the series, but was it the nVidia 8600 or something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong) then Apple should replace it for free.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
If it's got one of those videocards that are faulty and tend to fail (I forgot the series, but was it the nVidia 8600 or something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong) then Apple should replace it for free.

The 8600m GT. Yes, Apple should replace this for free, assuming that there isn't obvious physical damage to the MBP. This is also assuming that the computer hasn't been reported to be stolen or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.