MacBook Pro Repairs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ItalianPride, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ItalianPride macrumors newbie

I've heard from a few people that as long as your macbook is still covered under warranty that the Apple Store will replace any parts on the macbook that are damaged or have wear and tear. Is this true? Because I want to make an appointment and get some parts replaced if I could like:

-the keyboard - because it's worn
    -the disk drive - because it's loud
    -the battery - because it's losing its charge
    -and the fans (if possible) - just because they are mechanical and are bound to go out sooner or later.

Would they do this for free? Also do I need to bring them excuses for each of these problems?

Thanks for your time.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless you're having a problem with any of those things listed above you are likely not going to be able to get them replaced on a whim.

3. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

You heard wrong.

This is almost hilarious. Why would you expect anyone to warranty something against normal everyday use?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

save the excuses ... they cover hardware failure ... not the miles you have put on it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than listen to nonsense from people who have no idea what they're talking about, why not read for yourself?

Apple Limited Warranty
    AppleCare Protection Plan
    Batteries are not covered by warranty or AppleCare, except in the case of manufacturing defects.

Apple Limited Warranty:
    AppleCare Protection Plan:
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

6. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

I see Mr. Cut 'n Paste is still trying to minimize open thread discussion thereby saving all of usenet from excessive bandwidth usage.

How is what you posted different than what everyone has been saying? I suspect you're merely trying to subtly insult another member for electing not to search for answers again.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

GGJ was merely pointing out that sometimes it pays to try and solve your own problems before asking for readily available information.

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

out of curiosity is it probable that the keyboard backlight on a 2010 MBP has failed/weakened and that AppleCare covers the replacement of the keyboard? or does the backlight only fail due to accidental damage?

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you follow GGJs responses ... you will find he is one of the more helpful members here on MR.

as apposed to you answering the OP below with only a question?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is posting relevant information in any way "trying to minimize open thread discussion"? If anyone is attempting to "minimize discussion", it's you, since you're the only one criticizing other people's posts.
    How is what you posted different than what miles01110 said? If you take the time to read and learn about the forum, you'll find it common for many people to answer the same question. Are you suggesting that once a question is answered, that no one else can respond? That sounds suspiciously like "minimizing open thread discussion"!
    You suspect incorrectly. In no way did I say anything about searching.

As a newcomer to the forum, you would be wise to re-think your attitude toward forum members who have been here a while, helping people. You never know when you may need help, yourself.

11. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Even in my short time at MR, I've recognized that you have been very helpful to many members. That said, I think the issue revolves around this sentence:

It wasn't really necessary, and to be honest, it was a little insulting in its broadness and absoluteness. "Here are excerpts direct from Apple policy" would have worked just as well, without being antagonistic towards anyone else in this thread, regardless of how much value they may have brought to the discussion.

12. GGJstudios, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My comment was in no way insulting or antagonistic toward the OP, but to the people who the OP was listening to. My recommendation was that the OP read the facts directly from Apple, which I posted, so they could refute such ridiculous statements by others in the future. There is absolutely nothing, expressed or implied, that is insulting toward the OP in my post. Anyone who thinks otherwise is misreading my statement. The bold text below refers to the same people, not to the OP.
    It's not the OP's fault that someone fed them a load of BS. I have no reason or motivation to insult or be antagonistic toward someone who has been giving misinformation and is simply trying to get the truth.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

People belittle others all the time on MacRumors. It's as certainas death and taxes.

14. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

1. Feel free to re-read my post; I never said you insulted the OP.

2. It is not clear in your first post that you are referring to the original people where he had "heard" misinformation or to everyone who had subsequently posted in this thread, that's all. Sometimes we make it quite easy to "misread" statements. All the more reason to just skip being antagonistic at all.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• I quoted only the part of OP's statement that referred to the people who had given the OP bad information, so there would be no question about who I was referring to.
    • If I had meant the OP, I would have quoted the OP's questions and not the part that I did quote.
    • If I was challenging something that someone else posted, I would have quoted the post I was challenging.
    • I couldn't be referring to the people who had already posted, because my post was in agreement with and supported their statements.
    • I couldn't be refering to anyone who subsequently posted, as their posts had not yet appeared.

Now, is it possible that we get this thread back on the OP's topic, or is that too much to ask?

16. ItalianPride thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys.

I was just curious because I hear the stores are very lenient in replacing things. This girl I know dropped her iphone a bunch of times but one time actually broke it. She took it to AT&T and they said it would cost $500 or something for a new one but the Apple Store guy looked at it and told her that if she told him she had a problem with this small crack that it had he could replace it for her for free hahah.

It's no big deal though. Just thought I'd ask.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple reps have been known to bend rules on occasion, but it's by no means Apple policy to replace/repair such things under warranty. It never hurts to ask them, but knowing Apple's official policy on such matters will keep you from getting unrealistic expectations.

18. iZero macrumors regular

It really depends to be honest. Apple is pretty well known for going out of their way to help people. They know that doing so brings people back to do business, making up for any loss that they may incur being a little "lenient". That being said though, I don't know of any cases where they just replaced normally worn parts. I mean, say you walk in with your keyboard having those "slick spots" from months/years of typing. They won't just replace it for the sake of replacing it. If it was in the way of a "defective" part, it wouldn't be unheard of. That's the kind of leniency one might normally see from them.

That being said, you never know until you ask to be honest :) A guy here on MR recently got an Apple store to repair (not replace) a large dent in the case of his MBP. But I really wouldn't count on any of it. Though if the HDD is really noisy, and you're worried about it, that one I would get checked out. You can always ask on the rest. Worst they can do is say no :)

19. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ah,

This made my evening.

Thank you.

20. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Normal wear and tear isn't covered. I know this because I have spent many long hours on the phone explaining this to customers.

Unless it's faulty, no.
    Only if it fails Apple's battery test.

No. That's like saying they might as well replace EVERYTHING, because one day it will fail too.

There has to be a fault.