Macbook Pro Replacement? Will Apple Store Replace it? Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Jul 2, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

I purchased a brand new 15inch macbook pro 2011 base model in MArch.

Right out of the box i noticed there was a slight cosmetic scuff ont he right side of the lid, but only noticable under bright light. since it was new computer and everything ive decided to enjoy the machine.

a week later the hinge started to make hinge and crackling noises when u open and close it, as well as specs of dust under the screen.

i decided to take it back to best buy but i was a few days after 14day return policy. i wanted an exxchange so talked to a manager since i was a few days off.

i explained the issues and the manager laughed at my cosmestic issue, saying it was pathetic, and accused me i caused the hinge to make the noises due to user damage. there was no dent or anything to indicate user damage, and he still wouldnt do ****. so "*******" best buy.

called applecare, they said they dont offer mail in options in canada and said take it to a service ccenter. i dont want my brand new computer repaired, i wanted a new replacement as i wanted a flawless machine i initially paid for.

after multiple calls in the past couple months, i managed to talk to a supervisor and the best he could do was offer a mail in option for me, even though it wasnt avaialble in canada, he could make an exception, which i suppose is better than nothing.

anyways, my last option is to take it to an Apple store, closest one is in toronto, 3 hours away. a train ride there would be 60bucks round trip and i dont want to go there on a gamble that the apple store wont be able to do much.

do you guys have any suggestions?

i know, not major issues but hey, 2000 dollar machine, u wouldnt buy a new car with a scratch on it right? lol

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

You should of taken it in the moment you saw the problem. I doubt you will get a replacement, more like a fix. If you acted upon it with 14 days you would have got a replacement. Also don't buy ish from best buy!

3. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

unfortunately the best buy was located in another city, and i dont have the luxury of going there cause i dont own a vehicle, and all my friends were busy with university and such.

anywyas, ive read on these forums of people getting there macbooks from like 2009 replaced with new 2011 ones as an example.

anything i can say or do for apple to replace the thing?

and yeah i will never buy a computer from best buy agai. stupid arse customer service UGH

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I'm going to guess that they won't. If you don't own a car I'm guessing you're a student that intends on or currently does carry your MBP around for school. Believe me, your unit will not remain pristine if you use it and carry it around. I know the frustration however like the previous poster said, you should've called Best Buy as soon as you noticed it, not waited until now to do something about it.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get them to fix that busted shift key while you're there.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Since you didn't buy from Apple, they're only obligated to do warranty service on it.

In regards to warranty repairs, it generally takes three major hardware repairs before Apple will consider giving out a new machine as a replacement.

7. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

how come people who had macbooks from 2010 and 2009 get new replacements with new 2011 models?? ive a read posts like that on here :S

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

most likely you will not get a replacement, they will just continue to fix it for a while.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Because they had real problems with their computers. Not cosmetic issues. AppleCare is not a free pass to upgrade every other year. In your case you are not getting a new one. They will fix it, not replace it. If you are looking for a new one, your going to have to purchase a new one. Plain and simple.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

Reread their posts, they always say why. :S

11. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

it is a new one though, macbook pro 15inch 2011 lol.

cosmetic issues..yes..but right out of the box :(

hows the hinge clicking a cosmetic issue?

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hinge isn't a cosmetic issue. Either are crashed hard drives, broken DVD drives, screens that won't turn on, or keyboards with stuck keys. However none of those alone qualify for a new machine. They do however qualify for a warranty repair.

The guaranteed way to get a new machine is to return it during the return window. You missed that. That doesnt make Apple obligated to give you a brand new machine when they can simply repair it. :S

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I feel sorry for you but you seriously need to stop whining on not getting a replacement. Apple cannot and will not get you a replacement. I would talk to best buy for a replacement rather than Apple. You could of tell the manger that "there will be no replacement after the sales is done because you can accuse it's done by the users". That is not right. As of the hinge issue, Applecare should take care of it. It's not Best buy's problem that you can't take it back within 14 days.

14. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

whining? dude i paid nearly 2000 dollars for this. thats alot of money and i expected a flawless machine from the start.

15. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

the one guy who had a 2009 macbook pro, his hardddrive crashed and they gave him a new 2011 top of the line model 15inch :s

16. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Exactly, from start. Something YOU FAILED to address at start. You let it slide because it wasn't an issue. Sorry, but I highly doubt you will get a replacement.

17. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

i did take it back, twice.

18. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

A few days after the 14 day exchange/return policy.

19. theturtle macrumors 6502a

if apple expert is right and you took it back a few days past the 14 day period than it technically is your fault... :(

i know it sucks but two weeks is enough time to thoroughly check it out. does the BB in canada have the same return policy as the US? No restocking fee?

20. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

actually the first time was 8 days but they would take it cause i didnt bring the box. i thought they would just replace the macbook pro and keep the other box and slap it in there, but no they want the other box. so i brought it back a few days later with the box, and than i get this ******** happening i mentioned in the first post.

im very sad :(

21. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Best Buy receipts even state you need to have all equpiment for exchange or returns. If it was that important, why not act upon it in March when you purchased it instead of waiting till July to make an effort? Seems like you just want an excuse for a new MBP.

22. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

if u read my post i said i called apple multiple times, and did take it to best buy in march.

i didnt think to take the box cause its jsut a box, its the same box that all macbooks come with. i thought they could just take the new macbook out of the box and put my old one in it, same box and acessories.

the reason i posted this is i might be heading out to toronto, 3 hours awya, there is an apple store there, so im asking here if theres anythign i can do or say to hopefulyl get a replacement.

and its not an excuse to wanta new macbook pro, i just want to get a flawless one i initially paid for. i did make an effort to try and return it back then.

anything positive u could say apple expert?

23. theturtle macrumors 6502a

i say don't get your hopes up. while apple is very generous on their warranty, they dont do full machine swaps.

and anyways, of course they would want the box. its not any old box. it has all the machines info (serial etc etc) on it. Its just like apple, if you bought it from them and wanted to swap it within 14, they require ALL the original stuff including box. its not like iphones where they COULD open a new box and replace it.

24. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

ye i thought it was gonna be like iphone replacement similarly

so i take it i should just suck it up and enjoy the thing?

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Call Apple's corporate number and ask for executive customer relations. Tell them everything you've said here. They will want to make you happy. 408 996 1010 The 3 repairs first thing is a guideline. In customer relations everything is possible, and the good thing you have going for you is that you've already brought it to best buy and already initiated contact with Apple. The longer you've owned the computer, the more likely they want to repair rather than replace or refund. Point out that the warranty under which you are covered confers the options of repair, replace, or refund. Those three options are at Apple's discretion (and they typically want to do them in that order). But if the rep you talk to says replace is not an option, tell them it is an option according to your warranty, and if that representative isn't able to exercise that option, you would prefer to speak to someone who could exercise that option. Be friendly and calm, though. For an Apple rep to override their guidelines (such as the 3 repairs rule), they need an exception. That's why it's important for you to tell them YOUR uniquely extenuating circumstances and frustration. They need to hear something from you that tells them it's OK to override their guidelines. Be sure to consistently stay in your reality of what has happened and what needs to happen. If they tell you they can't accommodate you, just keep responding calmly with your reality of what happened and what you need to happen. If they say all we can do is repair say, for example, "Well, unfortunately a repair isn't going to work, because I want to trust in the fidelity of this machine, and I don't want it being pieced together just months after I bought it and spent $2,000 and already had all these frustrations." Then let there be silence--let your words, your reality, hang in the air. If they keep saying they can't help, keep repeating your reality. "Well that won't work because..." At some point you can say, "I can't do a repair and need a replacement for these reasons and it seems you are unable to confer that option under the warranty, I suppose to move forward at this point I'll need to speak to someone who can help me with this more." The agent will try to present a new reality--keep maintaining your reality--the machine needs to replaced for your special reasons, whatever that is, ie, you just bought it, you wouldn't be able to trust the fidelity of a repaired machine, it was a big investment, you want to have a good experience with Apple, etc. You need to make it seem like you are willing to stay on the phone---peacefully, and in a friendly way--for an infinite amount of time repeating your reality. They'll come around. And they will never end a call unless you initiate ending it.

Good luck! You should be able to enjoy a product you spent so much money on!