MacBook Pro Retina - Screen scratches Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boats4chris, Feb 27, 2014.

?

Do you have scratches on your Retina screen?

1. No. I use "something" to protect my screen.

7.0%
  2. No. And no, I don't use anything to protect my screen.

69.8%
  3. Yes. General scratches, not associated with closed screen.

7.6%
  4. YES! Even though I use "something" to protect my screen.

1.7%
  5. Yes. My screen is scratched from the trackpad/keyboard area when the lid is closed.

14.0%
  1. boats4chris macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2012 MacBook Air 13 and I am thinking of upgrading to the MacBook Pro Retina 15 for the screen real estate and I am wondering if the Pro has the same propensity for scratches on the closed screen, ie: keyboard imprints or scratching from the track pad edges as the Air? I understand that the Air has a plastic screen while the Pro uses glass.

I have seen a couple of comments that the Pro glass still gets scratched...

I use a Shaggy Mac microfiber cloth on my Air for this reason.

Feedback would be great!

Thanks.

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

I use a Moshi iVisor [Link for reference] on my rMBP 15" just to reduce the glare, the fact it cover my screen is just another perk. :)

3. RMXO macrumors 6502a

How do you like it? I was thinking of getting one for my MBP but they're never in stock when I got to an Apple Store. Kinda lazy to order online since I haven't made up my mind yet if I want one or not.

4. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

I really like it. I know it cuts the retina display a bit but the clarity in outside environments and really bright / or in really well lit classrooms makes it completely worth it for me.

I don't regret it one bit.

Plus it keeps fingerprints off the display... pesky people always pointing and touching my screen >.>;

5. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I wipe the keyboard imprints off. MBP 13" 2012 mid

6. anushian macrumors newbie

i also use the moshi ivisor. very satisfied with it. as far as i know, nobody else makes a similar/comparable product.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well i have also noticed keyboard as well as parm rest imprints on my 15" retina screen, i used a vanguard lens/glas cleaning liquid and a microfibre cloth but the imprint just dont go.

8. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Mine has a big patch of the anti glare coating rubbed off from the middle of the screen and a thin scratch in the middle also!

But when the screen is turned on, it isn't noticeable.

(I got it used for a big discount because of the condition of the screen, so I am happy). Of course it would be nice if it was perfect, but having a 512GB SSD and 16GB ram 15" model (mid 2012) for $1200 is damned good.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use an antiglare screen protector. Looks good and works great. And it doesn't show fingerprints or anything.

10. yimyim macrumors newbie

I recently noticed this also on my rMBP 13".
    Am going to see what the store says because it is still under warranty.

I am pretty dissapointed with this problem.

11. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

I ended up getting a refurb of the 15" late 2013 (16GB RAM, 512 SSD, 2.3GHz) for the same price. Can't even describe how happy I am with this machine.

Anyways, I ended up getting a Shaggy Max for the 15" retina to prevent the keyboard/trackpad imprints. My old 2010 13" Air had this problem, and I am determined not to have this happen to my new machine, haha :D

12. yimyim macrumors newbie

I just took my 13" rMBP to the macshop where i purchased it.
    The screen/keyboard problems are known and accepted.
    It happens when a warm screen picks up dirt and grime from the casing between the touchpad and keyboard and the keyboard itself. The warm screen then burns this dirt into itself and creates the marks on the screen.

Retina users should invest in a thin protective layer to stop this from happening.

My screen is being replaced under warranty.

13. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I put a screen protector on mine.
    The only problem is that they are so large (compared with iPhone protectors) that you inevitably get some small air bubbles under there.
    I've also got 2 pecks of dust that does my head in.

Barney

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No scratches on mine. I'm just careful to not drag sharp or abrasive objects across it. ;)

15. yimyim macrumors newbie

That will help but is not really the problem we are talking about in this thread.

16. yimyim macrumors newbie

Just had a chance to check out a friends 15" rMBP and it suffers also from the dirt burn in problem, he hadnt noticed because he was fixated on a few burnt out pixels.

It really seems as though there are a large amount of users with this issue. However I also have the feeling many actually dont notice the marks? Maybe they will only when it gets worse?

What do you guys think? Will such marks get worse over time?

PS: Ohh i forgot to add my mac store repair man said this is a know problem on the all modern Airs AND all rMBPs, just to answer OPs question.

17. accountforit macrumors 6502a

So let's think rationally about this. So you would rather deal with dust and bubbles clearly visible from your screen protector, rather than possibly getting a few minute scratches that aren't visible during normal use?

This really doesn't seem to be a true issue. Normally, when a true problem is made known on this forum a thread like this would be pages long by now.

18. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I've got rid of the two specks of dust that were annoying me.
    The air bubbles (probably about half a dozen of them) are tiny and only noticeable when the MacBook is switched off.
    The reason I have the protector on is I noticed my screen was getting dirty/dusty and I don't want to damage it by repeatedly cleaning it. With the protector on I can use window cleaner on a cloth knowing I'm not going to damage anything.

Barney

19. yimyim macrumors newbie

yeah, im not sure how to handle it either.
    But lets be honest at least with a screen protector the machine is not getting "broken".
    I mean, apple are replacing my entire screen under warranty because of this issue.

The repair guy at the apple store told me we have to keep them clean generally and always have a very thin piece of paper or something between the screen and keyboard.

20. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I too have bought a ShaggyMac SP last week. I suspect it may take some time to reach the UK though. Using the tracing paper that came with the rmbp till then.

21. majkom macrumors 65816

apple tech users are insane nowadays, people protecting iPhone from scratches, macbook from scratches, whats next? mac pro? come on people, it is just tech:)

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No scratches and I really don't do anything special. Computer is going on 2 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

23. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

24. yimyim macrumors newbie

just got my rMBP back from repair.
    no more marks on the screen, which is good.

nw I have a major yellow tint to everything.... argh.
    will have to deal with that, ohh well.

25. yimyim macrumors newbie

hi flynn

could you please elaborate. Us, users with problems, would be very greateful.

For example:
    How often do you clean the screen?
    How often do you clean the keyboard and case below the screen?
    Ever use clamshell mode?

etc.

thanks