Macbook pro retina screen yellow tint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diamondsky, Jul 14, 2012.

1. diamondsky macrumors newbie

Hi, folks! I just got my macbook pro retina today, and found that the screen has yellow tint compared to my old macbook pro.

Here is a picture of two macbook pro (left 2011 macbook pro 17, right 2012 macbook pro retina), both screens are set with full brightness.

Anyone has similar experience? Should I ask apple for a replacement?

Attached Files:

2. stuaz macrumors 6502

Think you should ask for a replacement. If I compare my RMBP with my 13" Pro (2009) they are the same in terms of nether having a yellow glow.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. diamondsky thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they have your model in stock, sure.

6. zebualvi macrumors newbie

Mine's got a yellow (warmer) tint as well which was a bit jarring when i started using it but i've gotten used to it now. Can't get it replaced since supply in Sydney stores is almost non-existant. Also mine is a BTO.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine doesn't exhibit the yellowish tint. You could try calibrating it before returning it.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

9. 01mggt macrumors 6502

10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I have the same, unfortunately. I guess I can either send it in to Apple for repair or send it to ABT for replacement lol.

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

Looks like another iPad 3 screen debacle. Damn the RMBP is just getting more issues after issues.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yellow tinting has been around for much longer than that. My 2007 MBP was the first model to use LED, and there were an explosion of threads on the issue then.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's normal. The one I had was like that before I got rid of it. My best friend has a yellow one too. They don't look so bad if not sitting side by side with a Mac that has correct white balance. You'll get used to it.

14. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Is there a chance that it's is simply that the generic color profile that ships on the rmbp is just better on some displays than others? I think LG is the only display being used in the retina. But still there could be some that just don't fit the profile as well?

15. MacBird macrumors 6502

Calibrating it with a good hardware calibration tool will fix the white point and improve the image quality in general.

16. zebualvi macrumors newbie

Ill take mine to apple store tomorrow and compare it side by side with the one on display. If i want to get it replaced, do i have to do it within 14 days or inside my warranty period?

17. teeteetee macrumors newbie

yep! within 14 days

18. Queen6, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

A minority of users on a entusiast forum bring to light they have issue with the coloration of the display, graphic performance, dead pixels, pressure points, creaking case`s and how many units have Apple sold?

It human nature to complain, emote, raise issue if they are not happy, the internet simply makes this process vastly easier. Those that are happy with their purchase are far less likely to vocalise. Personally my own Retina MBP is perfect, and i have yet to see a new iPad with the dreaded yellow tinge, including my daughters.

And the best part of it is Apple will refund any of their product within 14 days no questions asked, all in all the risk in buying from Apple is marginal at best, so why all the angst...

Apple may not perfect, but at least they try :apple:

19. gusnyc macrumors 6502

Just the bottom half.

MY screen is slightly yellower in the bottom half. It is subtle, but noticeable.

20. Slivortal macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Seriously. This happens EVERY time Apple releases a new product. Everyone overexaggerates all the issues, and the real issues are all overplayed.

21. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Not the case. We're in 2014 and the issue persists.

22. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I just received a new late 2013 MBP Retina 13-inch and the screen is clearly yellowish, and yes more towards the bottom of the screen, than my mid-2012 MBPR 15.

I can now see why Apple turned off Terminal's ability to check whether you have a Samsung or LG screen on the 13-inch series. :rolleyes:

23. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Most that have a yellowish tint are the way they are suppose to be to display more accurate reproduction. Everyone wants a blueish tint which is not natural.

Also, most people who claim their screen is yellowish on the bottom don't realize that yellowish tint disappears when you move your head down. It's the way you are viewing the screen. I have had numerous MBP's this way and two iMac's. They all do it.

24. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Sad knowing the issue still persists. I asked for a 3rd screen replacement (my 4th screen). If it still come yellow, I'll ask a new machine, then I'll keep exchanging until forever, unless a surprising good display makes me breaking out of the loop.

25. shadow82x, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

shadow82x macrumors 6502

I went through 5 different replacements and I can't say and I've had a true yellow tint with any. There all very similar, Samsung and LG panels in terms of "yellowing". I must confess, although you can't tell this through the photos I'm attaching, the Samsung screen did appear to show whites, whiter though.

unnamed (2).jpg
    (Samsung)

IMG_5636.jpg
    (LG)

unnamed (1).jpg
    (Samsung)

It's also worth noting the brightness on the retina's don't seem to get as bright as the older models. That could be a factor in why the retina's look a little duller in photos.