Macbook pro retina screen yellow tint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diamondsky, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Tessakimm macrumors newbie

Tessakimm

Mine too has a yellowish tint. Is it normal??? If it's normal.... I want a refund............. Color's horrible..

2. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

It looks like you have the flux app working reducing the brightness to a yellow colour to rest your eyes.
    I am sure you checked it, but it really looks like when I leave the app opened, make sure you have nothing biasing the warmth of the light of your screen, just in case.

3. ramkax macrumors newbie

I disagree. They try to fool you, and they do it in a very professional and efficient way. Literally. They refuse to confirm in writing what they say they will do over the phone. They sure do promise and extensively insist that they keep their word. But then when it comes to doing what they "promised" they would do, you'll discover that they had no intent of keeping their word. At all. And you have to renegotiate again. To have a Mac that became defective - motherboard got fried just like that, after just a few days of use -, replaced you have to negotiate with apple for 10 days. Every day. 3 times a day. And guess, what. You endup with a replacement device, that has a yellow tint. I do photography, this is not something I can work with. And to make it even worse, I travel for business a lot. And, with the absolute lack of international support, this makes it impossible to get workable fix. So no. Apple is not trying to make its best. I dont believe that for a single second. I believe they take abuse situation to make you keep defective material. I'm writing this while staring at my yellowish screen, and thinking, oh ****, I have to go through all the **** again. Apple: What you're doing is stupid. Customers you screw will not only never come back, but will get every occasion to speak out loud how you handle the mess. And you know what, I've had enough with all the lies. I'm sending this to a consumer protection agency. Enough.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Well 5 years ago that's how I felt, spin forward to 2017 I am no longer a professional user of Apple's hardware as Apple as seemingly incapable of producing notebooks for serious use versus pleasing the Starbucks crowd. As for the quality just getting worse...

Q-6

5. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Different LCDs have different white points, some are cooler (bluer) some are warmer (more yellow). Mine can look a little warm depending on what I've been looking at beforehand. It's normal and your eyes adjust to your current screen - use it for a while and fire up the old Mac and you'll think it has a blue tint :)

It might be possible to adjust it somewhat using colour calibration - differences like that are basically why it exists, often in the form of hardware (Spider etc) when it comes to professionals.

6. andrewj44, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

andrewj44 macrumors newbie

Spider calibration did nothing but change the gamma and increase saturation slightly. Yellow tint remains.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Agree with everything you have said. I have wasted countless hours agonising over it and talking to Apple and Apple resellers and trying to find the best Windows laptop with a screen that displays whites greys and blacks correctly. From what I have seen, if it isn't a matte screen, and it has an ultra high resolution they all have a tint of some kind… blue, pink, yellow, green. But this yellow one on the 2014 Macbook is the worst I have seen. My 2011 Macbook Pro with the matte screen is still colour correct, i.e. whites are white. But we all know what the inevitable future is of these models. Two logic boards replaced already and just waiting for it to die again and this time it will have nowhere to go but the rubbish bin. That in itself is outrageous given it still runs like a trojan and can run the latest OS. 6 years and Apple considers their products antique. Yet the logic boards/graphics cards only lasted 2-3 years at best, unless you were just using it to send emails. Fed up. (2011 MacBook on the right of pic, 2014 on the left)

Attached Files:

7. Queen6, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I truly feel for you and those affected. Apple's dealing of the matter from the onset is one of having zero regard for it's customers and solely limiting itself from as much financial damage as possible. Personally I'm now out of Apple professionally for exactly this reason and the poor design choices that only pander to the Starbucks crowd. The good is I know have a far broader choice of hardware and nor have I incurred any issue.

For the MBP fiasco Apple should have been forced to replace the poorly designed units with good working models, not the same rubbish they initially shipped with, however Apple has simply become both cheap & greedy and literally treating it's customers like sheep...

Q-6