Macbook Pro - Same LCD panel on both the Anti-Glare and Glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Jul 8, 2014.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I'm pretty sure that they are, right?
    Is the LCD Panel inside the Glossy models the same as what's inside the Anti-Glare model? Just that the glossy models have a glass covering over it?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm about to purchase one to repair an Anti-Glare Macbook, but the LCD Panel is advertised as "GLOSSY" (and it is just the panel. "frequently purchased with: glossy macbook pro screen replacement glass"

Anywho.
    Sent an e-mail to the seller, haven't gotten a response yet, so figured I'd reach out for a quicker answer. Thanks!

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Some Anti-Glare 15" MBPs have a High-Res option that is 1680 x 1050 versus the 1440 x 900 on the Glossy ones.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Apple did offer a glossy 1680x1050 screen as well, but MBPs so equipped are exceedingly rare. I've only ever seen a small handful for sale on the second-hand market.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I BTO-ed my 2011 15" with a 1680x1050 antiglare screen.

And it's rare all right. Most people don't even bother with the 1680x1050 glossy upgrade, let alone antiglare.

I find that 1680x1050 is a big step-up compared to 1440x900.

But then, retina's an even bigger step-up.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

It's for a 17" so it's not an issue between high res or not. :)

6. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

At least on the 15" model the only way you could get anti-glare was to first order the high res display (for $150 extra) and then the anti-glare option on top of it (for another $50 on top of that). The reason why I rememeber this is that I was initially pretty skeptical about the glossy displays that came standard on unibody Macbook Pro's (pre-unibody you could choose whichever you wanted for no extra charge). When I decided to buy my first unibody machine, they didn't have any anti-glare machines in stock and wouldn't be getting any until that year's back-to-school campaign was over (that year it wasn't some App Store gift card, it was $100 extra off the education prices).

Checked up on everymac.com and according to them it was the same on the 17" models. So anti-glare machines exist, but only as machines where the original owner has taken the anti-glare option on top of the high res display option.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, so did I. Couple of genii I spoke to in the Apple Store hadn't seen one before, one asked if I'd modified the screen!

I had an '08 uMB before and the reflections on the glass were very distracting. It's much improved on the rMBP, which is good.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I still feel that the display on all my 3 RMBPs still attract glare like a solar panel.

I miss my 2011 15"s antiglare screen everyday :/

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I hear you. My current HRAG MBP replaced one that had the standard 1440x900 glossy panel, and the difference was night and day. Not only do I appreciate the extra resolution, but it also helps tremendously when I sit at my desk at home because it's right next to a window that has eastern exposure. When playing around with rMBPs at retail stores, they still have too much glare for my liking.

When my system ultimately succumbs to Radeongate, I don't know what I'm going to do. Antiglare 2012 cMBPs are commanding strong money on fleBay right now. If it weren't for the fact that my job would require having a Mac if I were to work from home, I'd be tempted to switch back to a Windows workstation notebook.

10. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Yep yep, I remember that. Couldn't have Anti-Glare without the 100 dollar Hi-Res option. They got rid of that installment later on I am pretty sure and made the high-resolution standard with just the option to upgrade to anti-glare.

I'm not sure where you're looking to see that there was the high-res upgrade option on the 17"? I'm pretty sure all of the 17" models came standard with the 1900x1200, which is high-res, and then the option to upgrade to anti-glare for the additional $50. Would love to be corrected if I am wrong

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

According to everymac.com, you're bang on about everything.

12. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Looks like I remembered the 17" Pro's base resolution incorrectly... The site in question is "everymac.com" (mentioned that in my previous post) and they list pretty much every machine Apple has sold in the last two decades.

If my memory serves me correctly and everymac.com isn't incorrect, the 1680x1050 "high res" display was an optional extra all the way to the demise of the non-retina Pro (which took place when the late 2013 machines came out) and the antiglare option already vanished with the 2012 model.

13. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I know :p I checked that website but couldn't find what you were seeing; only found that the native resolution was the high resolution and that there was an option to upgrade to antiglare for 50.

Antiglare was removed and the end of their cycle? Never knew that. That's interesting.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

15" was 1440x900 as standard. The high res and high res antiglare 1680x1050 options were offered from Mid-2010 until demise of the MBP 15".

17" was 1680x1050 initially, with 1920x1200 an option. Unibody machines are 1920x1200 standard with antiglare an option.