MacBook Pro & Samsung 850 EVO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PCtoMAC1, May 15, 2015.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Hey folks,
    I'm going to switch out my old spinning drive for a new 1TB Samsung EVO. I plan on doing a corded Time Machine backup, swapping the drives, formatting and then restoring. On for my questions:
    1.) At what point do I enable the TRIM support application?
    2.) Do the EVO drives support S.M.A.R.T.?
    3.) I have some time left on my Apple Care warranty and was told by Apple that replacing my stock drive will void it. How would they even know that I swapped it?

Thanks!

2. seanxwong macrumors newbie

I've just had HDD replaced for the same SSD (850 EVO 250G). enable TRIM after you've finished restoring OS X, but you need codes to enable it in Terminal.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

1 - If you're running Yosemite there are issues with running Trim Enabler. I quit using it as I preferred the better security. If you decide to use it read the instructions very carefully.

2 - Yes

3 - The drive is a user replaceable part. However Apple will not warranty the replacement drive nor any damage you cause making the swap like damaging the SATA cable.

I prefer to make a clone of the existing drive to the SSD in an external enclosure, boot from it to verify operation, then install the new drive in the machine. If there is a drive problem you don't have to make the swap multiple times. I use CCC to make the clone.

4. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Thanks! What are the issues with trim and when did it start happening?

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Trim Enabler modifies the disk drive kext. Yosemite requires kexts to be signed. You have to turn off kext signing for it to work. If you do an OS upgrade and signing is turned off, it's a pain to get it working. See this article for more info.

6. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Thank you! This will be the first time I've ever worked on a Mac (I used to be a heavy Windows user). Any idea how to disable kext?

Lastly, what would be needed to clone a drive instead of using the built in backup tool? I'm not apposed to installing and "hoping" that things work, though finding out that the drive is bad vs. using a more difficult method.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The handy app Trim Enabler will do everything for you in order to enable TRIM.
    But as mentioned, be sure to read the instructions and support articles to properly understand what you're doing and which potential issues you could be facing.

Running TRIM wisely on Yosemite requires some technical know-how. I've been running it without issues, but you should be aware of what it means before enabling it.

- The built-in Disk Utility can do that with its "Restore" function. Either run it from within OS X itself or boot into Recovery Mode (Cmd+R on boot) and do it from there.

8. Gezab macrumors newbie

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster :D

I've recently bought a samsung 850 evo as well. Couldn't resist the allure. I have an early 2011 MBP, running mavericks (on HD & SSD).

I ended up doing a clean install from a bootable USB (With Mavericks) and booting it externally via USB (2.0). Worked like a dream.

So I open it up, take out the old HD (which still works okay) and install the SSD. I reset the PRAM and SCM for good measure. Immediately it starts hanging and beach balling.

This is a real head scratcher, from what I've read it sounds like my SATA cable is broken, but my HD still works alright. If anyone could give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it!

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the old HDD is only SATA 2, it would have a slower link speed. That could explain why it works and the newer SATA 3 drive doesn't.

10. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

A SATA III drive will work just fine on a SATA II interface, it's just that the drive will only work at SATA II speed.

11. y2bangali macrumors newbie

I've really been considering in getting the 1TB 850 Evo for my Mid-2012 Macbook pro, but are you saying that it will only run on SATA II speeds instead of 3? If so then can I get one of those Apricorn Sata 3 slots or something?

12. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Not at all. The mid-2012 MBP has SATA III so you'll get full speed out of your SSD.

13. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

If I understand correctly, I simply need to turn TE off prior to upgrading Yosemite, then turn TE back on once I reboot my Mac. Does that sound accurate?

14. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, turn TRIM off and kext signing back on prior to any OS X updates and before resetting SMC or NVRAM. TE will remind you to enable TRIM each time you boot without it if you select that option in its preferences.

That should keep you pretty much error-free. I haven't even needed to disable it before OS updates, but others have. So to make sure, you should disable it.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the SATA cable isn't working properly, a 3.0Gb/s negotiated link speed may work while a 6.0Gb/s link speed may not. A SATA II drive may work and a SATA III drive won't.

16. y2bangali macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Do you have an SSD or the 850 evo installed by any chance? Just wanted some feedback since i've never used an SSD before and want to make sure I get a decent once for my Pro.

17. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I've got a 1 TB 850 Pro, it's been an amazing drive so far. I had it in my mid-2010 MacBook before I got my MBP and it still performed well even though that computer had SATA II.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I recently installed a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo into my sisters 2012 13" MacBook Pro. It works perfectly. When I tested it using the Blackmagic Disk Speed test, I saw 500-sh MB/s read/write speeds.

19. Gezab macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for input, I just read a couple more sources suggesting similarly that the SSD demands more from a SATA cable. I'll try replacing it and see how I go :)

20. PCtoMAC1 thread starter macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

The newest version of TE (3.3) takes care of turning kext signing off and on for you, correct? I'm afraid that's a bit too far out of my league right now!

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, it takes care of absolutely everything. Including turning kext signing back on when you disable TRIM.

22. CheMillan macrumors member

CheMillan

I installed a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD in my MacBook Pro 2012. I used Disk Utility instead of SuperDuper to clone Mavericks to the SSD because it can copy the Recovery HD partition which SuperDuper currently cannot do. After the installation was done I turned on the MacBook Pro, installed Chameleon SSD Optimizer and turned on Sleep Mode, Disable Sleep Image, and TRIM for the SSD. Rebooted twice and verified that TRIM was enabled in System Information. So far so good.

23. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Was just wondering about a possible update. Since you haven't said differently, I'm assuming that you haven't had any issues since your original post. My fiancée and I have decided to upgrade the drive in her 2012 MBP, and I was looking at the 850 Evo 500GB, but some people have reported issues, while others (like yourself) seem to have no problems at all. Did you have to replace the SATA cable at all, or just setup the drive and swap it?

24. tunes10 macrumors newbie

tunes10

Hi :)

After all, what did you decide about TRIM support application?

25. snaky69 macrumors 603