Macbook Pro Screen completely black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jihadjoe75, May 3, 2009.

1. Jihadjoe75 macrumors newbie

So earlier today, I closed the screen on my mpb and stuck it in my backpack. i then ran off to the library to get some studying done. When I opened my mbp at the library, I got these symptoms:

-LCD screen COMPLETELY black
    -Apple logo [on back of screen] also not lit up
    -keyboard unresponsive
    +It would jump right into my windows partition, despite holding down alt
    +Also indicated by the caps lock key not working
    -everything else is fine, I can hear the drive running and startup chimes
    -I hear there's been problems associated with he newest firmware update [1.5]
    -I have found very little in the way of a solution for this issue

---

Tomorrow I will be backing up all my files via firewire -> my iMac at work -> External drive

---

I updated the firmware probably a week or two ago, so it's strange that this just now happened, of course during finals week.

It could also be my display ribbon. It came loose once and I pushed it back on and everything worked, but this wouldn't explain the keyboard being unresponsive.

This really seems to be some sort of software issue. I don't feel like having to due without my computer for a month and being charged an arm and a leg for a new logic board from apple.

----

It's an aluminum mbp 2.4ghz [bought just under two years ago, august 2007]

---

This is really scary for me. I do audio production and have tons of stuff I need to be working on right now. This is stupidly crippling for me right now. Any help or advice would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

-Joe Hertler

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

other than the obvious of making sure the brightness is up which im sure you have done, do you have an external monitor you can plug it into. that will tell you if it's the card or the connection to the screen. the latter is better of course and is easily fixed but if its the former your talking about a logic board replacement. i would say other than resetting PRAM and SMC you may have to take it in.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try resetting the PRAM: hold down cmd-opt-p-r at startup and wait for a second chime. The only thing you might need to reset is the startup disk.

But, I'm thinking it's more a case where resetting the SMC would be more successful. I controls backlight, trackpad, sleep/wake and others.

You can find the correct procedure here: Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

4. Jihadjoe75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna try to use an external monitor when I get the chance. I tried resetting the pram, but to no avail. I'm gonna try the SMC later tonight.

I really wanna know if anyone else on these forums have had this issue. Damn computers...