Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Has anyone installed this without any problems, I only ask this when there are firmware updates. Here's what the update states, This SMC Firmware update adjusts the fan behavior in MacBook Pro systems (15-inch and 17-inch) when running under high workload conditions.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
I have the early 2008 macbook pro model with the specs listed in my public profile, not sure if this shows up on the newer macbook pros!

Attachments

• Firmware update 2.png
    Firmware update 2.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 123

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Yeah I installed it without a single hiccup. I'm just guessing that it's just an update that turns the fans on sooner.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
I have noticed that my fans have been quirky, though, with my Uni-body. Very loud and obnoxious. I must say, my Santa Rosa MBP was better built and was a lot quieter...also, the screen didnt flicker!!!!

Joko

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Yup fans def start up sooner. Generally more fan activity.

showstoppin

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Silicon Valley
the majority of users who have updated reported decreased performance and abnormally high core temps. ultimately its the op's decision whether to update or not, but just throwing some links out there.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Well am very meticulous about monitoring my cpu and gpu temps and have noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I have yet to do any stress tests, but so far at idle all seems normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.