Macbook Pro SMC Firmware Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 1, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Has anyone installed this without any problems, I only ask this when there are firmware updates. Here's what the update states, This SMC Firmware update adjusts the fan behavior in MacBook Pro systems (15-inch and 17-inch) when running under high workload conditions.

The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder and will launch automatically. Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
    I have the early 2008 macbook pro model with the specs listed in my public profile, not sure if this shows up on the newer macbook pros!

Attached Files:

2. Gerri Shin macrumors member

Yeah I installed it without a single hiccup. I'm just guessing that it's just an update that turns the fans on sooner.

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Not applicable to unibody or late-2008 MacBook Pro's, only last generation MacBook Pro's require this update.

5. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I have noticed that my fans have been quirky, though, with my Uni-body. Very loud and obnoxious. I must say, my Santa Rosa MBP was better built and was a lot quieter...also, the screen didnt flicker!!!!

6. sputacus macrumors regular

I have a Jan 2009 MBP 17" - it didn't receive the SMC update.

7. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Yup fans def start up sooner. Generally more fan activity.

8. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

9. showstoppin macrumors newbie

showstoppin

the majority of users who have updated reported decreased performance and abnormally high core temps. ultimately its the op's decision whether to update or not, but just throwing some links out there.

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Well am very meticulous about monitoring my cpu and gpu temps and have noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I have yet to do any stress tests, but so far at idle all seems normal.