Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Rual NSW, Aus
Hi.

I have a early 2011 15" MBP that is behaving strangely. It works perfectly fine when on the charger, however when using battery power it runs fine until you shut the lid/sleep it to move it or just because your finished using it. sometimes you can open it up a day later and all is fine, but sometimes you either have to reset the SMC (Command + Option + Shift + Power) or plug it in to get it to reboot.

This obviously is a massive inconvenience, especially since it has started just shutting down randomly whilst using it too. It doesn't appear to be load related as stress testing did nothing. The apple hardware diagnostic came back clean. i have taken it to our local authorised repaire shop and they charge me $30 and said nothing is wrong with it.

For a bit of background, when the machine was 13 months old the logic board failed and apple replaced it free of charge out of warranty (thank god!). The issue only presented itself after this repair.

So has anyone experienced anything similar? any suggestion on what to try?

Thanks, Jesse

PS- stupidly i did not get applecare :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.