MacBook Pro SMC update version 1.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrkgoo, May 28, 2009.

1. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Ok, this just appeared in my Software Updater - is this new? It says it will adjust behaviour of my fans under a high workload.

I have an early '08 non-Unibody 15" MBP.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I saw this just a few minutes ago myself, though at VersionTracker.

It doesn't show up when running Software Updater (yet?), so I'm going to wait and see what the reports are. (the iWork '09 update does, which apparently was released at the same time).

It's not clear it's meant for my model, which is the 17" UB MBP (early 2009). I don't have any issues with the fans under high-load, so I'm hesitant to "fix what ain't broke"...

edit: reference - MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.3

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm hoping this fixes issues with black screen of death (insta hard lock at high GPU heat) especially under gaming for Windows.

If I launch Fallout 3 under windows, from a cold machine, the machine is hard locked within 30 seconds from the GPU overheating.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

5. oYx macrumors regular

happened to me for quake 3 last year on my 17" mbp, but about once an hour.

6. doctoree macrumors 6502

Sorry for posting in this old thread but I wanted to come back and ask you guys about your long term experience with this SMC update. I have an early 08 17inch MBP with the POTENTIALLY faulty Nvidia GPU. Initially when the update was released it was unclear what exactly it did....

Can someone with this software installed give some comments about what it really does.
    How do the fans behave at which temperature?
    Do they just start earlier or are they more active in general?
    Did you experience any problems? Prior to the update? After the update?

Some people initially reported broken MBPs after the update and that's why I'd prefere installing it now, still under warranty. But if the fans become significantly more active I'd avoid it...