MacBook Pro SSD in Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jardins de Vin, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Maybe some of you have seen my other thread, I'm interested in buying a nMP but I'd like to upgrade the storage.

I found this here on eBay: http://www.ebay.at/itm/New-661-7538...935547?hash=item33b4fee43b:g:uIAAAOSwoudW-Woi

I know it's just 256 GB, but this sentence here is interesting:

Does that means the SSDs for the late 2015 MacBook Pro will also work in the nMP?

Thanks!

2. Ultracyclist macrumors regular

Ultracyclist

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

But how come there's this Late Mac Pro SSD problem then? Why don't people just buy the MacBook Pro SSDs? I haven't checked the prices yet, but I'm sure they're a lot cheaper.

4. Ultracyclist macrumors regular

Ultracyclist

I have no idea to be honest. But as far as I know these SSD are just "standard" m-PCI SSD's so technically you could replace them with any m-PCI SSD.

5. r6mile macrumors 6502

I don't think this will work. Both the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro SSDs are proprietary Apple connectors, and I think they are different connectors, but someone around here will know better!

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm, yes… I don't think the one from the Mac Pro looks anything like that. I think it has only one connector, instead of two.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

PCIe is not a proprietary connector, what might be weird for apple is the form factor of the board, like shorter than standard or something like that I guess

8. Ultracyclist macrumors regular

Ultracyclist

As it is a PCI SSD it wil work in a cMP not in the nMP

9. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I have taken a look at the SSDs for the nMP and they aren't exactly cheap… also too many 256 GB ones, from people who bought the base model and then upgraded to one of the OWC SSDs I guess.

OWC also offers a 4 TB SSD if I read that correctly. Guess I need to find someone who wants to upgrade his 1 TB Flash to 4 TB Flash storage. Not too much of a fan of 3rd party stuff, especially on a machine like that. Those drives look way too big also, much bigger than the original ones, I wonder if it has an influence on the cooling system of the Mac or something.

10. Ultracyclist macrumors regular

Ultracyclist

I don't think that cooling wil be an issue, the cooling for the nMP comes from the core triangle on the inside. OWC is well known for delivering really good en reliable 3rd party upgrades. I would do it within the blink of an eye.

11. mikepj macrumors regular

12. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Personally I think it would be interesting to know the exact number / code / or name of the original 1TB SSD that Apple installs in their Mac Pros when they ship them. Maybe some people who bought the 4TB OWC one are selling their 1TB original one somewhere.

For me it would be enough personally.

13. mikepj macrumors regular

According to the forum below, there are two numbers that get you to that part: MZ-KPU1T0T/0A6 and 661-7540.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1tb-ssd-nmp-part-number.1694977/

I Googled both of them, and they both turned up with results matching the OEM 1TB Mac Pro SSD. The MZ_ number also matches the SSD from the recent MacBook Pros, FWIW. The 661-7540 brought up fewer results, but only for the Mac Pro.

14. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

I didn't think to run pre and post benchmarks, but I recently (2 or so weeks ago) swapped a 2015 rMBP 1TB SSD into a nMP. It's been running 24/7 flawlessly.

15. mikepj macrumors regular

Did you have a rMBP that you swapped with, or did you buy the SSD somewhere?

16. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Salvaged it from a 2015 rMBP with a dead logic board.

17. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

1) The 2015 rMBP and the nMP do not use a standard PCIE connector. They do in fact have a modified PCIE proprietary connector that as of date only Mac products use.

2) Yes the 2015 rMBP SSD will work in the nMP. It should be noted that the nMP SSD ships with a heatsink and the rMBP SSD does not. Beware of possible thermal issues.

18. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Just found this here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsu...f&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=151605593746&rt=nc

It says it's the same SSD that is installed in the Mac Pros that Apple is delivering now (2015-2016) and that it's faster than the ones in the 2013-2014 models. Do you really think it's the exact same part?

It says it doesn't have a heatsink, and they say it's safe. Does Apple deliver their SSDs in the nMPs without heatsink these days?

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Gotta love Tim Cook's Apple, they are doing everything to make sure you cannot upgrade components. Kinda sad.

20. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

A Mac Pro purchased today will have a heatsink attached to the SSD.

21. duffycola macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried the other way round? I'm trying to find out if you can place a MZ-KPV1T00/0A4 SSD (seems to be the Mac Pro / MBP 2015 1TB SSD) into a 2014 MBP and still get 1200mbps speed.