Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamran1998

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Irvine, CA
I drove up to San Francisco with my family yesterday and had dessert at Ghirardelli Square at Fisherman's Wharf. When we walked back to the car, the rear passenger window was missing and on the floor. My briefcase consisting of my gadgets (MacBook Pro, Apple Watch Link Bracelet, chargers etc...) was missing from the trunk.

Using Find my Mac, the MacBook Pro remained offline however the name of the computer changed from my name to "Max's MacBook Pro". Does this mean the thief formatted my computer and created his own account? I had FireVault on but did not create a password for the firmware password tool. Is it possible to track the thief or do anything with this information?

I have all the information of the computer as I had it connected to my Mac Mini server at home and have the info saved on system profiler.

Serial Number: C02LV21RF XXX
UDID: 9cea8c2a071859f59c9979a452a0 XXX
Ethernet MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9X: XX
Wi-Fi MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9X: XX
Bluetooth MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9 X:XX

Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

kamran1998

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Irvine, CA
Also is it possible to cancel Apple Care and/or submit my SN to a database that tracks stolen laptops? Does Apple have a database?

Thank you

kamran1998

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Irvine, CA
Thanks, I removed the last few digits of the information but at this point a criminal has my laptop so I don't think it matters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers man. Did you have FileVault on your laptop? Hopefully, so the thief doesn't have access to your data.

I put my laptop in the trunk if its going to be in the car, out of sight, out of mind as they say.

Also is it possible to cancel Apple Care and/or submit my SN to a database that tracks stolen laptops? Does Apple have a database?
Apple will prorate the AppleCare warranty, so that won't be a problem. I don't think Apple willl do or track any serial numbers of stolen laptops. They really avoid getting involved in sort of theft recovery/identification AFAIK

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Sorry about your Macbook. This is why I never leave anything of value in a car. Too much temptation for thieves!

Reactions: old-wiz

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
I'm sorry for your loss. Same situation happened to me last year; I had two laptop backs on my back seat. One had my laptop and the other one had my study manuals. The thief broke the passenger window and took the bag containing the study manuals and I was lucky enough that my laptop didn't get stolen. It was a great lesson for me and I never leave my laptop again in my car, ever. If I have to, I put it in the boot(trunk) of the car.

kamran1998

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Irvine, CA
Did you have FileVault on your laptop?

I put my laptop in the trunk if its going to be in the car, out of sight, out of mind as they say.

Yes, I had FileVault on. Lesson learned, I always left valuables in my car now I will think twice. It is weird since the window was outside of the car after the break in, not sure how they broke the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.