MacBook Pro Stolen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamran1998, Dec 26, 2015.

1. kamran1998, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015

kamran1998 macrumors member

kamran1998

I drove up to San Francisco with my family yesterday and had dessert at Ghirardelli Square at Fisherman's Wharf. When we walked back to the car, the rear passenger window was missing and on the floor. My briefcase consisting of my gadgets (MacBook Pro, Apple Watch Link Bracelet, chargers etc...) was missing from the trunk.

Using Find my Mac, the MacBook Pro remained offline however the name of the computer changed from my name to "Max's MacBook Pro". Does this mean the thief formatted my computer and created his own account? I had FireVault on but did not create a password for the firmware password tool. Is it possible to track the thief or do anything with this information?

I have all the information of the computer as I had it connected to my Mac Mini server at home and have the info saved on system profiler.

Serial Number: C02LV21RF XXX
    UDID: 9cea8c2a071859f59c9979a452a0 XXX
    Ethernet MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9X: XX
    Wi-Fi MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9X: XX
    Bluetooth MAC: 60:03:08:9a:9 X:XX

Appreciate your help!

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
  2. kamran1998 thread starter macrumors member

kamran1998

Also is it possible to cancel Apple Care and/or submit my SN to a database that tracks stolen laptops? Does Apple have a database?

Thank you

3. Erdbeertorte, Dec 26, 2015

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

4. kamran1998 thread starter macrumors member

kamran1998

Thanks, I removed the last few digits of the information but at this point a criminal has my laptop so I don't think it matters

5. Erdbeertorte, Dec 26, 2015
  6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers man. Did you have FileVault on your laptop? Hopefully, so the thief doesn't have access to your data.

I put my laptop in the trunk if its going to be in the car, out of sight, out of mind as they say.

Apple will prorate the AppleCare warranty, so that won't be a problem. I don't think Apple willl do or track any serial numbers of stolen laptops. They really avoid getting involved in sort of theft recovery/identification AFAIK

7. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Sorry about your Macbook. This is why I never leave anything of value in a car. Too much temptation for thieves!

8. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

I'm sorry for your loss. Same situation happened to me last year; I had two laptop backs on my back seat. One had my laptop and the other one had my study manuals. The thief broke the passenger window and took the bag containing the study manuals and I was lucky enough that my laptop didn't get stolen. It was a great lesson for me and I never leave my laptop again in my car, ever. If I have to, I put it in the boot(trunk) of the car.

9. kamran1998 thread starter macrumors member

kamran1998

Yes, I had FileVault on. Lesson learned, I always left valuables in my car now I will think twice. It is weird since the window was outside of the car after the break in, not sure how they broke the window.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Next time on any forum, don't list any serial numbers or other data. We don't need it, period. Only police