Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
187
0
NY
My computer is giving off a sound similar to the sound of a TV with snow on it but with a higher pitch (a buzzing sound, whining). The weird part is that if i am dragging a image or scrolling with a side bar in a window the sound diminishes. The sound is coming from the top of the keyboard. What is happening?
 

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
144
0
royal oak, mi
SpAtZ said:
My computer is giving off a sound similar to the sound of a TV with snow on it but with a higher pitch (a buzzing sound, whining). The weird part is that if i am dragging a image or scrolling with a side bar in a window the sound diminishes. The sound is coming from the top of the keyboard. What is happening?

im assuming you have the sound muted, but i have no idea.
 
Comment

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
1,210
7
stridey said:
Looks like you're a Victim of Rev. A syndrome: link
yep, that sounds like that is it. Send it into Apple ASAP so they can get it repaired for you.
 
Comment

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
845
1
I should have known there was gonna be something, Im getting a pb to hold me over til rev b or c. Quality Control Apple!!:( :eek:
 
Comment

mvelinder

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
104
0
SpAtZ said:
Does anyone not have the problem?

I've only read about it in MacInTouch, posted by two readers... and here. So there seems to be a large number who are having no issues. The MacInTouch posters both said that Apple was already working on fixing it for them.
 
Comment

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
813
46
Pennsylvania
I don't have the issue.

The issue I do have and many others have is that the first 3 or 4 volume levels are inaudible and the right speaker is 'tinny' which appears to be a gain problem.

Someone contacted Apple about it and they opened a ticket with Engineering. He's supposed to hear back and post what he's told on the Apple Board...Hopefully it's software.

It's really not THAT big of problem though.
 
Comment

ClaymoreBlack

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
10
0
specifics?

is there any specifics on the people that do have this problem? 2.0 vs. 1.83? 7200 HDs vs. 5400? Memory configuration, etc.?
 
Comment

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
813
46
Pennsylvania
ClaymoreBlack said:
is there any specifics on the people that do have this problem? 2.0 vs. 1.83? 7200 HDs vs. 5400? Memory configuration, etc.?

Apparently not...there is a big thread about it on the Apple support boards.
 
Comment

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
2,582
0
Ireland
Normally this is caused by something resonating. On some graphics cards there is an inductor or capacitor that resonates making a similar sound. The high pitched tone would change depending on the load on the graphics card. Some people are saying it is caused by the PWM control of the display light which could be possible but more than likely it is caused in the PWM circuitry itself.

It's probably a very small problem of just an incorrectly sized or cheap component. More than likely just a cheap capacitor.
 
Comment

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
3,754
977
In this case the source is the switching power supply in the MBP. I hear the whine, but it goes away after unplugging the laptop.
 
Comment

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
2,582
0
Ireland
Krevnik said:
In this case the source is the switching power supply in the MBP. I hear the whine, but it goes away after unplugging the laptop.

So it could be the battery charging circuitry. Does this mean the sound goes away when it is fully charged? Also why does the sound disappear when the back light is at full brightness. It could possibly be a combination of both.
 
Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,922
39
MD/VA/DC
SpAtZ said:
My computer is giving off a sound similar to the sound of a TV with snow on it but with a higher pitch (a buzzing sound, whining). The weird part is that if i am dragging a image or scrolling with a side bar in a window the sound diminishes. The sound is coming from the top of the keyboard. What is happening?
Not sure if this is the same noise but in my PB G4 I get a high pitched squeal when some dialog boxes are open. Most notable in Dreamweaver. It sweals like a pig when I move the mouse. (serious).
 
Comment

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
TBi said:
So it could be the battery charging circuitry. Does this mean the sound goes away when it is fully charged? Also why does the sound disappear when the back light is at full brightness. It could possibly be a combination of both.

Maybe because it's using more power? (it's just a wild guess)


What kind of light source is the backlight? Does it happen to be a fluorescent or Halogen tube of some sort? If it is fluorescent or Halogen, that could explain the sound not being there at full brightness since sometimes the regulation circuitry can do that when not getting the full power load (look at one of those halogen lamps with a rheostatic control on it, they buzz like crazy when not at full brightness).
 
Comment

neib

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
8
0
I've had the opposite problem my intel based computer, when I scroll and resize I get the hissing sound. It took me a while to figure out it was the fan on my northbridge.

Usually whenever I've heard hissing on any computer, it's been a crappy fan. Something that apple will have to deal with.
 
Comment

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
187
0
NY
Anyone who is having this issue contact applecare and once they confirm it is an hardware problem they are going to have you send it in to exchange it for a new computer. I just spoke with a "product specialist." "They want to isolate these computers and do tests."
 
Comment

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
3,754
977
SpAtZ said:
Anyone who is having this issue contact applecare and once they confirm it is an hardware problem they are going to have you send it in to exchange it for a new computer. I just spoke with a "product specialist." "They want to isolate these computers and do tests."

Arg, I can deal with the slight buzzing coming from the power plug, but I also have some fan rubbing going on as well, and I am not in a position where I want to give up the machine the moment I get it and have it setup for work. If this is the case, then I am gonna hope that if an exchange does happen, the store has stock to cover it on the spot.
 
Comment

cfd954

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
20
0
I am wondering if this is only an issue with the 2.0 and the 2.16 machines as there have been those who were able to spend a day with the machine (1.83 machines) and never reported this whine. Just my two cents worth, looking to see if anyone can confirm this.
 
Comment

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
1,880
0
Brooklyn, NYC
bpd115 said:
I don't have the issue.

The issue I do have and many others have is that the first 3 or 4 volume levels are inaudible and the right speaker is 'tinny' which appears to be a gain problem.

open system prefs and check that your balance is centered. it's probably a totally different situation but every powerbook i've had does this weird thing where adjusting the volume with keyboard causes the audio to pan hard to one side. just something to check out. again, i doubt this oddity would carry over to the MacBook Pros, unless it is purely an OS issue.
 
Comment

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
213
0
Haute Savoie,France
crees! said:
Not sure if this is the same noise but in my PB G4 I get a high pitched squeal when some dialog boxes are open. Most notable in Dreamweaver. It sweals like a pig when I move the mouse. (serious).

That's interesting, because on my ibook, no signs of this, but on my pc, when i scroll, i hear it in the speakers, and the sound in my pc is of good quality (Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro and Yamaha Monitoring). As I am waiting for my own Macbook 2.0Ghz, I hope Apple will fix every problem for free.
 
Comment

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
213
0
Haute Savoie,France
balance

tjwett said:
open system prefs and check that your balance is centered. it's probably a totally different situation but every powerbook i've had does this weird thing where adjusting the volume with keyboard causes the audio to pan hard to one side. just something to check out. again, i doubt this oddity would carry over to the MacBook Pros, unless it is purely an OS issue.

That's right, it seems like an OS issue. On the ibook, I was listening to music quite loud on external speaker system, and I thought they had a problem, where it was the balance who was put too much on the left for example, without me touching it!!
This case repaeted a lot of times, and I dont know why. It seems its during the sleep, cuz it doenst happen while music is playing in iTunes.
Oh well...;)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.