Macbook Pro subwoofer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Mar 30, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So I took apart my 17" MBP today to upgrade the HDD, replace the thermal paste (which they used enough for like 10 CPUs).

I noticed the 4 speakers which is nice and the subwoofer.

Now is there a way I can tune the subwoofer to boost the bass?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I think that this may be a global equalizer for OS X, but I'm not sure. Give it a try is all I can say.

3. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Where is this subwoofer you speak of? I haven't seen it.

4. felt. macrumors 6502a

subwoofers emit low frequencys, macbooks pros do not, there is no subwoofer.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there are only two speakers EDIT: as bartelby points out this is not true on the 17" there are four speakers

the two red almost circles, ignore the yellow square that was already on the pic

Attached Files:

6. bartelby macrumors Core

You have shown the 15". The OP states 17".
    Right:
    [​IMG]
    Left:
    [​IMG]

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmm, interesting, i assumed they used basically the same logic board, its still not a subwoofer though;)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Odd because the 15" Powerbooks had them.
    [​IMG]
    But the 17" Powerbooks didn't.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

that one looks a bit more like a subwoofer notice how the woofer is concave insted of convex, they do that a lot with subwoofers, but i cant imagine a speaker that small being useful as a subwoofer at all, it might be that its specifically for lower frequencies and they devoted all of the higher range, say 1000mhz up to the smaller tweeters, and used that for anything below, where as now a days they just send all of the signal to all of the speakers

this thread talks about subwoofers in the macbook

10. bartelby macrumors Core

It's not. :eek:

Which is probably why they stopped putting them in.

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

though i guess you could consider any speaker devoted to lower frequencies than the rest in a system to be a subwoofer:)

12. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

It looks like the Powerbook had a tweeter+woofer setup, which would theoretically sound better but didn't get very loud from what I've heard. With the 17" MBP Apple went with two of the same size drivers to maximize volume output (each driver only has to work 1/2 as hard). But yeah, I didn't see a subwoofer when I took my 17" apart.

The subwoofer on the Dell 17 inchers are a joke anyway. Also, Apple did a pretty good job with letting the MBP enclosure itself provide some low end. Notice the bass drops off if you lift the MBP off of a flat hard surface.

13. DocSmitty macrumors regular

That actually occurs with any sort of speaker to a degree, it's a natural function of how sound waves bounce. Put a speaker in a corner, for example, and you can get significant (+6 db not uncommon) increases in low frequencies as compared to in the middle of the wall. Cool that it can be noticed in a laptop, though :)

14. Wheelz macrumors newbie

I bought the 15" Macbook Pro i5 which was advertised with subwoofers. 15" Macbook Pro i5 (check the specs). I loaded a song with some very low frequencies and, admittedly, it sounded way better than the old PC notebook I have, but I didn't really appreciate the bass. I thought, like some of you guys, how can such small speakers put out that kind of sound?
    Then I plugged in my cheap old headphones whose speakers can't be any bigger and wondered why such a difference? The sound was amazing from the headphones.
    I dunno what to think.

15. NOD macrumors member

Dear god -- somebody is expecting a sub from a laptop?:rolleyes:

16. Wheelz macrumors newbie

So why would it be listed in the specs? And why would cheap headphones sound so much better?
    If little headphones can sound great, why shouldn't I expect it from a laptop as promoted?

17. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

My gf had one of the toshiba laptops with Harmon Kardon speakers. It was a nasty bulky thing but damn it sounded fantastic, similar performance to a decent ipod dock. Not sure if it had a sub, but there was proper bass coming out of it.

18. shadowness macrumors regular

Actually the MBP has the subwoofer, but only 2 speakers not four.
    here is an excerpt from an apple kb article,
    here is the full kb article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3336

19. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Wow old thread. Doesn't looks like they changed a bit with regards to the thermal paste! Still way too much.

20. shadowness macrumors regular

LOL!!! i didn't see the date!!! it's quite old!!! like a bloody vampire waking up after a long slumber!

anyways new KB article updated 30th april 2010

21. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

At least we know they used the search feature. kudos for that.

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I wish Apple wouldn't call it a subwoofer. It, at best, is a woofer.

23. Diveactive, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

Diveactive macrumors newbie

Diveactive

How to turn off the sub woofer.

I have, for a long time, been trying to get back the wide sound I had on my 2008 MBP this new one sucks, You cannot get a left channel from the internal speakers, Although it says stereo speakers, Its not stereo sound, due to the sub woofer , So I was thinking , if i could turn this thing off,

I would get back true Stereo, Apple mack really need to go one of those chat shows, Like on the spot, And answer to the public , And we should get a re bate for the stupid super drive and this None stereo sound. They conned us with.

Any one know how to resolve this , With out buying external speakers?
    I have down loaded and played Stereo test sound and sub woofer demos,
    the sub woofer does give some poof off sound, Not much to get exited about. You just google sub woofer sound test . Appreciate any refection on this.

24. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Yes it has a little subwoofer in the bottom of it, I used to have one.