Macbook Pro Suddenly Running Very Hot, Fans On Constantly???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jumpman25, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Yesterday my 2.4GHz Macbook Pro was running perfect. Today for some reason it it running incredibly hot. The bottom aluminum of the case is actually burning hot. The fans are running constantly and the laptop is also running incredibly slow. Anybody have any idea what could have caused this? It does this even if I don't have any apps running. There is nothing that is using up any of my CPU. Thanks

2. indefatigable macrumors member

This is dumb, but did you try restarting? My macs will run slow if I've been in and out of programs and it'll occur to me I haven't restarted in a month.

Otherwise, if you are under warranty, maybe take it to the apple store... maybe it is a heat sink or battery issue?

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Do you just think nothing is using the CPU, or did you check with Activity Monitor?

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Have you printed from it and forgotten to close the print queue? That one catches a lot of people out.

5. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I checked activity monitor and nothing was using any of the processor in it. Also, I tried restarting it. I did all this last night with no luck however I just started it up today again and it seems to be working ok. I didn't do anything different from yesterday. How could it screw up like that and then suddenly fix itself. Kind of makes me wonder if something might be wrong with it and this problem might come up again. Also, whats up with the printer queue? Is that a bug or something?

6. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so now it is running very hot again. Are there any viruses that could cause it to do this? This doesn't make any sense.

Edit: I also just noticed that even though none of the applications are using any of the CPU under activity monitor, it still shows the CPU around 60% utilization. I also download smcFanControl and my comp is running at around 80 degrees C while idle which seems way high.

Ahh, I didn't notice that I could expand activity monitor. It shows a process called syslogd that is using up 100% of my cpu. Anybody know what this is?