Macbook Pro suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavimao, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I have a 2008 non-unibody 2.4ghz, mbp that suddenly won't start.

I was working on it normally a couple of days ago and then I closed the lid to walk the dog. When I came back a few hours later, the computer would not come out of sleep when I reopened it. So I shut it down by holding down the power button, and now whenever I press the power button, all I get is the "Vv-vv" of the Superdrive, followed by a few seconds of fan, a little harddrive noise and then the thing just shuts itself off.

I don't get the chime, no grey screen, however the LED light comes on.

I've tried taking the battery out and holding down the power button for 20 seconds, plugging in with just charger or battery, using someone else's charger, resetting the PRAM, taking out the RAM and re-installing it... Nothing works.

I'm sure I'm going to hear bad news but thought maybe someone had an idea...

2. DivineEvil macrumors regular

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It really could be anything. Bring it to the Apple store.

4. xhale1 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue about a year ago with my 2008 MBP, I'd press the power button and would "vv-vv", and then nothing. Took it to apple and they said the logic board went out, unfortunately it was out of warranty so it was a $330 fix... ouch.

I hope your under warranty!!

5. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Yeah... I was afraid it was the logic board. It sounds about right. Unfortunately it's not under warranty. Maybe if I raise enough hell I can bring up the nvidia 8800gt failures?

6. ethyleneguy2003 macrumors member

It is absolutely the logic board. You don't need to raise hell but you certainly deserve a free repair as this is a common issue.

7. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

8. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Just going to add to this in case anyone has the same symptoms... It was indeed the logic board that died. I took it into an authorized apple repair center and they did the diagnostic and the repair price is €691... Ouch.

Needless to say I didn't accept the repair price.

9. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

bummer yea i've been hearing a lot of problems with the logic boards, my buddy had the same thing happen to him...boy was he glad he bought the apple care because the thing died with about a month left in the 3 year warranty

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

They're supposed to do the repair for free. Read this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i woke up to a blank screen last week. apple store ran a hardware test and confirmed it was the gpu. new logic board courtesy of Nvidia. $900 billed to them.:D

12. angadkripa macrumors newbie

exact same thing happened to me op..was not in warranty and was told it would cost $840 to repair...i said no thanks..wtf..its only 2 and half years old..all i want is my files..if i buy a 13in macbook pro..can i put my old 15in 2008 macbook pro hard drive and get my info off of it?

13. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Except that mine doesn't show those symptoms. Mine just simply refuses to boot. It shuts itself off 5 seconds after you press the power button.

14. aussiedj macrumors regular

Wild Guess - Heatsink fan stopped? CPU get's so hot so quick it auto shuts down?

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

16. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I took it into an authorized apple repair store and they said the motherboard is broken.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

unless you have apple care, sell it on ebay for the parts value and buy a new one

probably a blown capacitor or a short or something on the motherboard where it causes it to fail a start up test

18. geekypastor macrumors newbie

MacBook pro repair

I had the same thing happen to me last fall. Had a failed logic board on my late 2006 mbp and it was out of warranty for 11 months. I called apple and they told me that the best they could do was fix it for $330. I called back 10 minutes later and got a different apple representative and they gave me an "exception" and fixed it for free. :) Don't give up. Just try again until you find someone who will share a little compassion. Worked for me. Good luck!

19. ry4n525 macrumors newbie

At this point I would say have some fun. Take your MBP apart and clean it out. For all you know (like someone else mentioned) it could be a short on the motherboard due to some hair or dust. You did say that you have a dog and needed to walk it, maybe some hair got into the machine over the course of time. I know it can be tough to take apart, but if you give it some patience you might prevail. That's what I would do. You wouldn't believe how much dust and hair I pulled out of my MBP once. It was disgusting.

20. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Bahhha I'm glad my dogs don't shed (poodles) that sounds nasty!

Any way to prevent that?