MacBook Pro Supports Hybrid SLI In Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

For those unaware of what Hybrid SLI is, it allows you to use the integrated and discrete video cards that the higher-end MacBook Pro's come with together simultaneously to get you better performance in graphic-intensive programs and games. I saw an option under the "High Performance" power plan settings that enables Hybrid SLI, but that disappeared after installing the Boot Camp drivers. I found out through a quick Google search that it would be easy to bring the option back, but does the MacBook Pro really support Hybrid SLI now and do you think it would be safe to use it on the MacBook Pro? Hybrid SLI could definitely add a few frames per second when playing games, so it would be a nice addition considering how every MacBook Pro has a mid-range video card.

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

No it does not.

Especially not the new ones. integrated intel graphics are awful anyways, it would end up hurting performance more than boosting it most likely.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The 9400M and the newer low-end NVIDIA card in the new MacBook Pro are integrated cards. You can simultaneously use a NVIDIA integrated video card and a discrete NVIDIA card on some laptops. Windows 7 recognizes both and uses the term "Hybrid SLI." I'll try to turn Hybrid SLI on and run some 3DMark 06 benchmarks with it on and with it off.

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

I'm familiar with the process thank you. I owned a xps 13 back in the day.

The main problem is Although hybrid SLI was a neat little idea it really didn't work out the way it should have. I can only think of one or two cards that actually got decent driver support. They pretty much completely stopped supporting the technology by the time 9400 came out.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I think SLI is a more advanced process and i think it's better to have same graphics cards, I don't see that on a MacBook since MacBook's aren't really about gaming