Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Yeah, took the battery out and under the same conditions registered that it's running 40 degrees cooler. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's something wrong with this _particular_ battery... might just be the difference between no battery and live battery?

Brief note also -- there's no optical drive. Wonder if that makes any sort of difference in pulling heat away from the CPU. Probably no.

Last time --- any chance iStat's getting the reading wrong because of the new hardware, or something? To the touch, the computer's definitely hot, but 100c is bordering on frying pan, which it is not.

1) It not burning up doesn't mean the battery is not the problem, that's correct, however, I was looking for if you got the same results. If you did, you would know it was NOT the battery.

2) CD drive does virtually nothing in terms of heat.

3) Maybe a software glitch then? When did these problems start? I know when my machine runs at 90 for a few minutes the top left corner becomes almost too hot to touch.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Actually, reading more into it, looks like my 5 year old Core Duo is notorious for overheating. Not saying the battery doesn't make things worse... but this was already an issue.

Replacing the bottom case soon. Might as well throw a new application of thermal paste into the mix (it's what's been suggested).

Fun times. We'll see what the deal is after that. What would you say the max temperature you'd feel okay having your computer peak at would be?

Last edited:

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Actually, reading more into it, looks like my 5 year old Core Duo is notorious for overheating. Not saying the battery doesn't make things worse... but this was already an issue.

Replacing the bottom case soon. Might as well throw a new application of thermal paste into the mix (it's what's been suggested).

Fun times. We'll see what the deal is after that. What would you say the max temperature you'd feel okay having your computer peak at would be?

Well with the SNB processors they reach a higher optimum thermal level before damage can occur; they overclock when needed (automatically) and throttle back when heat is too high.

I see the CPU spike to 96/97C before the fans peak at 6K, then temps stop at around either 90 C or 95C when playing games in Bootcamp.

High heat isn't good for the system, but if the machine stays under 95 C and doesn't run that way for hours on end, chances are you won't have any problems.

But again, my blackbook never went over 87 C, so I can only use that as a baseline since I'm going from personal experience.

If you go to Intel's site or google, I'm sure you can find a spreadsheet with the optimal and peak temperatures for their cores; I remember freaking out about my mid 90 temps and finding chart after chart of information.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Yeah... looking into it still further...

It is ONLY watching video that makes my MBP overheat. But it's like, any kind of video, from Hulu to YouTube to HBO-Go.

No video, I can't get it any higher than 75 really (still hot), even editing in Aperture while running a bunch of other programs in the background. Regular, multi-tab surfing in Firefox keeps it between 50-58 (I type/switch between windows quickly, still stays relatively cool).

Maybe underclock it for now?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Yeah... looking into it still further...

It is ONLY watching video that makes my MBP overheat. But it's like, any kind of video, from Hulu to YouTube to HBO-Go.

No video, I can't get it any higher than 75 really (still hot), even editing in Aperture while running a bunch of other programs in the background. Regular, multi-tab surfing in Firefox keeps it between 50-58 (I type/switch between windows quickly, still stays relatively cool).

Maybe underclock it for now?

You can underclock? I would suggest looking into "Coolbook", it's used to undervolt, which is slightly different, the machine. I undervolted and overclocked my.. Galaxy S 1 (android phone) and achieved amazing results.

Some people here undervolt; there is no danger in doing it, the only downside is that if you restrict too much current, the system will just hang and you'll have to restart.

It takes a bit of time to find the "best" results because it varies slightly from system to system, but once you get a stable configuration you'll see longer battery life and a cooler machine.

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

Underclocking would do the same, although you'd restrict performance. Undervolting does not.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Hmmm... installation failed. Looks like you might need to pay for it to be able to actually alter the voltage. I've looked, but can't really see what the disadvantage over undervolting is (aside from overdoing it, of course). Is there something I'm missing?

The more I look into it, the more I'm realizing that this is getting to be a real undertaking. Kind of revel in the idea of fixing this thing (especially because the current 15" MBP is out of my price range, new specs notwithstanding), but it's starting to get complicated:

So far:

Remove busted superdrive (win)
New battery: $30 (apparent fail)

Up next:

Used, undented bottom pan: $40
Thermal paste: $5
Requisite tools: $10

In the pipeline (would be nice but not necessary):

New 7200RPM 500GB HD: $60 for a highly rated one on Amazon
Nuther 7200 RPM HD to fit in the optical drive + necessary adapter = ~$80
Copy of Snow Leopard: $30
Lion: Another $30
New screen: $130

Total cost: $415

Labor = highly intensive
My expertise = marginal
My love of fixing stuff = prodigious

Result = ???
Worth it = ???

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Hmmm... installation failed. Looks like you might need to pay for it to be able to actually alter the voltage. I've looked, but can't really see what the disadvantage over undervolting is (aside from overdoing it, of course). Is there something I'm missing?

The more I look into it, the more I'm realizing that this is getting to be a real undertaking. Kind of revel in the idea of fixing this thing (especially because the current 15" MBP is out of my price range, new specs notwithstanding), but it's starting to get complicated:

So far:

Remove busted superdrive (win)
New battery: $30 (apparent fail)

Up next:

Used, undented bottom pan: $40
Thermal paste: $5
Requisite tools: $10

In the pipeline (would be nice but not necessary):

New 7200RPM 500GB HD: $60 for a highly rated one on Amazon
Nuther 7200 RPM HD to fit in the optical drive + necessary adapter = ~$80
Copy of Snow Leopard: $30
Lion: Another $30
New screen: $130

Total cost: $415

Labor = highly intensive
My expertise = marginal
My love of fixing stuff = prodigious

Result = ???
Worth it = ???

Haha, you have quite the project ahead of you. I think it is though, as you have a working computer, you just have a problem with heat. But lets all pick this apart to streamline the process.

You have a new battery and you, to get this straight, did NOT get the heating when using the machine, WHILE watching videos, withOUT the battery correct? Of course, this does not rule out the battery, but it does mean something if this is true.

I would say to get the thermal paste and the tools first, as the bottom of the computer is, although important, not as important as fixing the actual internal problem. You can take the entire bottom piece off and hold it up on legos and the machine would work, in theory of course.

Get the thermal paste, the tools, and read guides to the T so to ensure you get that right. If al goes well, you should fix the problem.

The machine itself is a good machine, so after fixing heat and the body, you could definitely get some new hard drives. Do you feel the one you have now is failing? Also, do you have a hard drive for time machine?

If yes to the first and no to having a TC, definitely get an external for the TC and THEN put money aside for the drive (maybe half or something, keep a piggy bank or whatever) WHEN that drive fails. The TC works as a safety net; if my machine breaks and I HAVE to use it, I can simply run to best buy, pick up the cheapest HD, and be back up the same day.
THEN I can send it in to apple to get it replaced with Apple care, but seeing as you don't have that option, the TM and money on the side for the HD when you need it is the best option, if you can afford to just run and grab it when you need it.

Having one on hand would be best (or replacing with new), but you can only gain in savings/capacity by waiting and getting when you need, at the expense of having the possible downtime.

Definitely get SL disks; you'll need them if the HD does die and you have to start over. Lion is great as well; I don't think that it's quite "ready" yet though; depending on how you use the machine, there are a lot of pesky little things that are occuring that people don't like. Of course, that's all subjective, but worth mulling over before you devote 30 bucks.

I have a free dl of it (already have it) but I'm still on SL with my 2011 MBP. I love Expose/Spaces and I could not imagine ever using the Cluster**** that is MissionControl. TERRIBLE.

And finally, screen as in, an external or the monitor itself?

---------

THere is no downside of undervolting. It's like drafting in a car (I thought of this analogy after I read your last comment and went to go bake chicken lol)

Drafting is great. Save gas, and you can coast to your destination. Downsides? Dangerous. You can hit the car in front of you.

With computers: Save battery life/less heat. Less energy is sent to the processor. Downsides? Computer freezing if too little current is sent when it's needed. Not too "bad" as you won't damage the system or lose anything, but if you're working on something and you don't save, you'll lose that file along with the time it takes to restart (and frustration).

All in all, I think it's worth it. I did it with my phone to squeeze out extra mhz AND save battery life, which is all good when you heavily use a smart phone all day. It locked up maybe... 5 or so times in a length of months? And I never turned my phone off.

Of course, that's a lot less damaging if it does shut off, but something to think about as well. Read up on other's experiences to see if it's worth it for you.

Hope this helped :D

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Just the screen (here's one)-- whole housing is obviously far more expensive. Screen itself still works fine, so I can assume the connections are fine. It has definitely seen better days though (dark spots, scratches from the keyboard). Especially unfortunate because I do a lot of photo editing, and it's hard to get an accurate idea of what a photo looks like when the screen is messed up.

Might be able to sell the thing on ebay for $30-50 or so once I remove it though. Obviously in crappy condition, but works fine, for those who prefer a working screen to a completely broken one.

Hear that replacing the screen is about as tough as it gets though (iFixit puts it at "very difficult"). But again with the rise-to-the-challengeness.

Last edited:

venki

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
hi kilamite

CPU will force shutdown when it hits about 110'C.

Average temperatures are anything from 48'C - 90'C. The fans in the new Unibody MacBook Pro's have more blades so create greater air flow - at 6000RPM with full CPU load, you probably won't peak over 80'C.

wen i open too many application to check on the shooting temperature its like 105degree celcius is it not a problem and as years go do the performance of my macbook goes down ???? and I'm under app shall i change the logic board and I'm little aware too if that is gonna change some says its gonna be a refurbished one from apple is it so ?

angusglover

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2007
Just reading this my temp is sitting at 80 but can go to over 100. When I try to run a game, it goes to 115 then shuts down!!! Should I be doing anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.