MacBook Pro too big? should i get MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denvernuggs, Jun 12, 2008.

1. denvernuggs macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I'm considering buying a MacBook Pro tomorrow but my dad has been telling me that its going to be too big. I probably don't need a Pro yet but I'm very into photography and most likely will be into movie making, web design and photoshop. I've gotten frustrated with the screen sizes of MacBooks but as I consider spending $2000, I wonder if I should just get the black MacBook instead.

Is there anyone out there that purchased a Pro with the same "i should have just gotten the best MacBook" dilemma?

I'm not trying to sound like a noob but this is my final issue before I invest in one of these. I will be using this for the most part (at least 90% of the time) at home but it will be on my lap since I'm addicted to sports, multitasking and sitting on my couch. Is this the right computer for me? Or should I consider the black MacBook more?

Thanks

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To get best value for money: A cheap MacBook, lots of RAM from Crucial or some other reputable company, a 250GB hard drive (very easy to install with the MacBook), an external drive for backup and a nice large external monitor when you use it at home.

3. cazlar macrumors 6502

The 15" MBP is obviously bigger than the 13" MB, but not by as much as you might expect as the MB has a fairly large bezel around the screen (especially compared to a 12"PB). If you want the extra res and screen real-estate for your photo work, I'd go for the 15".

But my new refurb MBP just arrived at the door an hour or so ago, so I'm not the best person to ask for how it goes for lap-surfing compared to the MB.

4. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I guess it depends on (well it did for me anyway) whether or not it's going to be your primary machine or not. When my PC died I got a 15" MBP as my 'primary' computer and I love it. I don't think its too big at all. In fact, I take it with me practically everywhere I go (work, home, school, etc) in a nice computer backpack I bought.

If you still have another machine you can use at home with a larger screen and you're comfortable with it, then go for the MacBook. Otherwise, I think the MBP is hard to go wrong with.

Regards,

Wayne

5. denvernuggs thread starter macrumors newbie

It will be my primary computer as my 2003 sony viao desktop is retiring as soon as I get my new mac. The only thing holding me back on the Pro at this point is the portability issue (which i don't think is a big deal) and the 'sitting on my lap in front of the tv for hours' issue. If thats not a big deal, then its a MBP for sure.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I had a MacBook and just bought a MacBook Pro.

I prefer the Pro and do not find it (15") to be too large. Heck, it fits in my MacBook case. :cool:

7. stiphone macrumors regular

I had a MacBook before i upgraded to a MBP. I don't think that it's too big as I really like the additional screen space with 15.4". Don't think I'll go back to a MacBook as the MBP is a lot faster and it has a lot of features that the MacBook hasn't. Like the illuminated keyboard which is great for me when i surf in my bed at night with all the lights off. Dedicated video card helps too if you're doing a lot of editing or playing games.

My opinion only.....ultimately, it's still you choice...

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

One option you could consider is getting the middle MB, which is just as fast as the MBP but with integrated graphics, and use all the money you save to get a nice big external monitor. If money is limited, don't get an ACD--you can get a fairly good 20" monitor for a few hundred dollars. That way you get the best of both portability and a big screen.

9. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I have had both. The best thing about the MB is traveling. The MBP is the best for 1. your only computer, 2. your lap in the living room, 3. the pro features like a dedicated video card. I personally like the matte screen a lot better too, which is not an option on the MB.

11. jbaird77 macrumors member

dude if you are going to be doing a lot of Photoshop / vid editing / etc. , you need a better resolution screen than the Macbook. At least go for the 15" Pro man, my school has one that I used to use and I am telling you, its not cumbersome whatsoever. Its a perfect balance between portability and power. I'm personally getting the 17" but thats only because I REALLY NEED the screen space (1920x1200). If you are considering spending $2000, go for the 15" Macbook Pro, you wont regret it IMO

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

CS4 MIGHT, don't quote me on this, but it MIGHT have apps that are GPU accelerated.

For this purpose, discreet graphics FTW.

Actually, Discreet graphics FTW in every case, but then again I havn't used an "intergrated" card since what, 1995?

They might be getting better.

13. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Go Pro...... as far as size though, do some real soul searching.... when i purchased my MBP i was a pre-law major, so i went with the 15" for portability. since then I've switched my major to computer science and i regret not getting the 17" because i spend A LOT more time on my computer then i used to. If your pretty serious about doing photography and video work on your computer i would suggest going big. unfortunately everyones different, and I'm a pretty big guy so carrying around a couple more ounces wouldn't hurt me.

14. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

If your prepared to spend $2000 and if your into photography, video etc. i'd get the macbook pro, since it has it's own separate graphics card and a bigger screen. A macbook is good enough for anything else. It also depends on the software you want to use. For Final Cut, Aperture or Adobe stuff definitely the pro.

I personally would take the macbook pro (15", no way 17") if I were in your situation, and use it as my primary computer (even though i'm buying a macbook in the next few months myself, as i don't need a pro).

If you think the macbook pro is to big big - it seriously isn't; its just the right size most of the time, except for school.

BTW, i'm currently writing on a macbook pro......

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Go Pro. You need it if you plan on shooting raw alot. The extra processing power helps. I saw lightroom run on my mbp verses a guy in the other buildings macbook and there was a decent difference.

The mbp is a very thin machine for a 15 inch laptop. Its really not bad to travel with at all. I usually travel with an eeePC but recently I had 40+ hours of flying and had the mbp with me and barely noticed.

16. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I just switched from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro, and while I appreciate the extra screen real estate, I'm finding that the MBP feels significantly larger after carrying around my MacBook months on end. This said, I think whichever one you opt for, you will get used to quickly. If you start with an MBP, the MacBook will feel small and vice versa. If you're not ready to shell out the dough, +1 for the MacBook and external display.

17. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I was actually in the same dilemna as you. I am in college at KU (which is a closed campus...in other words, you walk your ass off) and wanted a good portable laptop that can hold its own in whatever I need it to do, be it HD video, music, photography or whatever.

You WILL NOT be disappointed in a MBP. Even a refurb will absolutely scream. The backlit keyboard is nice at night, and the weight isn't an issue at all (I travel a lot for work related stuff, and its great.) On top of that, its got a good screen (go matte if you're into photography) and it seems like the Penryn's haven't had any issues to speak of.

Bottom line: MBP all the way.

18. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

When I wrote my original reply I was sitting on the couch with the laptop in my lap. I usually do 2-3 hours a night like that doing a mixture of work / personal stuff. No problem at all.

Regards,

Wayne

19. denvernuggs thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice guys, i was definitely leaning toward the MBP and now thats what I'm sure I'll get. Plus my parents are splitting the cost with me :), so i might as well get the good stuff. i cant wait til it gets here