MacBook Pro Unibody - Replacing HD/Memory voids warranty!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aawordy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. aawordy macrumors newbie

Hello -
    I went to the Apple Store in Westfarms Mall in Connecticut tonight to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro. While talking to the representative I told him that I wanted to replace the hard drive. He stated that if I even removed the bottom panel, I would automatically void my warranty. I showed him Chapter 3 of user guide that comes with the MacBook Pro which outlines instructions on how to change the hard drive and memory. I also showed him on the same documentation on the apple site, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_13inch_Mid2009.pdf and the support for MacBook Pro for mid 2009's instructions on replacing the memory: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 and replacing the hard drive: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MBPRO_13inch_Mid2009_Hard_Drive_DIY.pdf

I questioned that the last document says DIY in the filename and how could that possibly void my warranty and he said that the technicians are told that any MacBook Pro that is brought in that has the bottom opened by anyone other than an Apple technician automatically has the warranty voided. When I asked for a copy of the warranty, it was not provided.

I stated that the Macbook user guide, has information about how to replace the memory, and if that was covered by warranty. Their response was that user replaceable Hard Drive and memory are covered on the Macbook only and not any of the unibody MacBook Pros.

If replacing the hard drive and memory is a void of warranty, then why is the documentation on how to do so online? Why are the instructions in Chapter 3 (called Boost Your MacBook Pro) in the user guide when you purchase the product? This information needs to be removed from the user guide, and the warranty needs to be stated.

If this is not the case, then will someone from Apple please contact their Apple store managers and technicians and set this story straight! Be aware, I talked to not one but three people there - one was a technician and manager, the other two customer representatives.

Please help! I would like to purchase a Macbook Pro, but not if I can't upgrade the hard drive and memory.

Andrew

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hard drives and RAM memory sticks are user replaceable. Changing them or upgrading them, does not void your warranty. The Apple guy was lying blatantly. In Late 2008 MacBook's the only way to upgrade the RAM is to unscrew the bottom cover, which Apple themselves give out instructions on how to do. (They are laser etched into the battery cover.)

Also, next time search here in MR. This question has been answered over 9000 times.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hey, you talked to Guy didn't you? I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. I think he just didn't know what he was talking about, and defending himself very vigorously. I didn't let him talk much because I was answering all my dads questions better than he was.

I say, if its in the manual, its doable.

4. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I am 100% sure that it does not void your warranty. If it did, then I wouldn't have the drive you see in my sig (which apple does not carry so I had to install it).

If it was a fan replacement or logic board replacement then that would probably void your warranty, however unless the user guide says "WARNING: Replacing the Hard Drive or Ram yourself will void your warranty!" then you are safe.

And if they do void your warranty (they won't) you have a serious customer service issue that you can take up with them.

5. The Past macrumors 6502

Apple has been hiring people who know very little. I had an argument with one employee in the Apple store in Albany about Mini and dual-display. He insists it can not do and that I am mistaken.

But, I would recommend being cautious. If you have to take your MBP to the same store for repair, you are going to deal with the same folks first. Escalation and resolution are a pain, but may be required if your MBP needs repair and goes to that store first.

I had a "genius" tell me that a dent has voided my Applecare and the dent was what was causing the problem I had reported. I had to return with paperwork showing that a previous repair request clearly indicated the dent on the MBP. And that was a year ago!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Also once you upgrade the RAM it's a good idea to hold onto it; if you ever have to take it in for service, Apple has been known to remove your new RAM and replace it with Apple RAM the same size as purchased.

7. zwaldowski macrumors member

Apple very explicitly says the memory and hard disk drive are user-serviceable. They even give instructions to do it in their very basic, very noob-friendly "Everything Mac" pamphlet that comes with your uMBP. I say take it back there and shove it in his know-nothing face.

8. aawordy thread starter macrumors newbie

Talked to Customer Service

Update:
    Called up customer service this morning - she checked with legal and tech support both. Everyone told her that replacing the hard drive and memory is indeed user replaceable. She even said it was DIY and if there was a problem with either hard drive or memory, they would ship out the parts to the customer to have them fix it themselves. She did say however, if I did something to the computer while trying to install either memory or hard drive, that I was responsible - I kinda figured that. What concerned me is the comment, "if you even remove one screw on the bottom of the macbook pro, you will automatically void the warranty".

She is going to contact the store to inform them of the situation.

It's the first time that I ever had such a run in with Apple store employees who clearly did not know what they were talking about. Concerns me a little that these are the same individuals I am taking the computer in for repair.

SCARY!!!
    Andrew

9. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

So they now told you that HD and ram are user replaceable but with a catch: If you remove the bottom to get at it, the warranty is void? :D

If they are actually like this then thats another nail in the coffin for me NOT to get apple care; If something goes wrong I'll just fix it myself.