Macbook Pro Unibody Touchpad Sensitivity in Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wademanuk, May 10, 2009.

1. wademanuk macrumors newbie

Righty then i've installed Windows 7 on my unibody MBP using Boot Camp. I've enabled the setting for it to recognize a tap for a click. The only problem with it is that it's way too sensitive nearly every time I touch the touchpad it registers it as a click. Just wondered if there was anyway to reduce the sensitivity as I was hoping for it to be more like the same setting in Leopard?

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Same problem

I have the same problem as well, track pad performance sucks from my experience thus far with it in windows. :( I also hate that I always have to use three fingers to right click.

Any insight into turning down the sensitivity would be much appreciated.

3. hitnrun7 Guest

Ha... finally the old MBP is better than the new one for something.... I love my Early '08'er! *cradles MBP like a baby*

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know for me the sensitivity was also a problem with XP. Drivers are no good. As for the 3-finger tapping, that has been fixed with a trackpad update - it is now 2-fingers like it should have been.

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

old :p

6. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

To get the new drivers should I just run apple update?

7. santos79 macrumors regular

Yeah, the trackpad is way too sensitive when using Windows, which is why I always use a Bluetooth mouse with Windows. That means that I have to put on a desk or table. But because the MPB heats up so much in Windows, I wouldn't want it on my lap anyway.
    It doesn't surprise me though that Apple spent very little time fine-tuning its Windows drivers.

8. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

My God does Windows run hot on my umbp. To the point where I can barely stand it on my lap. If I had a desk I would use it on there but since I don't, I don't have many options.

9. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Any Mac laptop + Windows + on your lap = Baked Nuts.

Be VERY careful.

10. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I just use two fingers. Two finger touch, then click the trackpad without moving them.

11. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Same here, Winblows was much too hot on my MBP (early 2008). I instead undervolted it and it now runs much cooler.

The tut is a bit old as the software has been updated, but with some common sense, its quite workable.
    http://www.nordichardware.com/Articles/?skrivelse=465

12. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

I am deeply disappointed that no Microsoft engineer writes a decent driver for the MBP trackpad. I am right to insinuate that NONE of them uses an MBP as their laptop ?. Shocking if so!. Windows 7 is a very nice OS and almost matching OSX to date. So I have my desktops all doing Win 7 bld7100 while the Win7 Boot camp is almost unusable with trackpad only. Shame.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not up to Microsoft to deliver drivers, they just distribute them with their OS. It's for the hardware manufacturer to provide them so you can't really blame Microsoft for the fault.

14. nitromullet macrumors newbie

nitromullet

This thread is a few months old, so I'm wondering if perhaps an update/improvement has been made since then...

Or is anyone aware of improved Windows 7 drivers/support in Snow Leopard?

15. assassinm4 macrumors member

I downloaded Bootcamp 3.0 drivers as part of the latest build of snow leopard.
    installed on an Early '08 non-unibody mbp.
    sensitivity is as thread starter says, very sensitive.
    HFS+ works natively, so i could finally uninstall macdrive 8:D
    other than that... not much improvements

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's unfortunate and disappointing. I was really looking forward to 3.0 Boot Camp drivers to actually improve the Windows experience on a Mac. Does anyone who has tried the 3.0 drivers know what was added, tweaked? It would be a shame if Apple didn't tweak and was content with just allowing users to run Windows regardless of how good/bad the experience is.

17. nitromullet macrumors newbie

nitromullet

I was able to obtain Boot Camp 3.0, and I can confirm that the sensitivity issue doesn't appear to be resolved. Although, they did add the ability to click the bottom or top right of the trackpad to right-click instead of only using the 2-finger tap method. So it offers functions more in line with what you get in OS X.

18. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Only for 50% of people :p.

19. Mareshalu macrumors newbie

Is is safe to run win 7 so hot on umbp? Mine is freaking hot, Carmen Electra hot! :D

20. SysFailure0x5a macrumors newbie

I'm running the 2.4Ghz 2009 Macbook Pro. I use the two finger touch to right click most of time time, but this model has a 9600gt so I game on it too.

I also have the secondary click enabled as well so I can use the bottom of the trackpad as a standard left/right click as if it had buttons, but if you use the bottom right to right click, it'll left click before right clicking. So... for some reason no LEFT CLICK DEAD ZONE exists when you enable secondary click in the bottom right.

So imagine you are playing an FPS like HALF-LIFE 2. You try to pick up an object using the bottom right with the gravity gun but it left clicks first and shoots the object your trying to pick up that hits an explosive barrel... BOOM!!

Other times clicking in the far bottom right hand corner doeskin right click at all, just left clicks. Ill sit here CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK and I just keep left clicking and firing my weapons primary fire over and over. It works like this in any game ive played FPS or not, and it does it inside the desktop as well not just games.

On top of all that, its overly sensitive like the other guy said above me, when I'm just trying to track the mouse it'll click and or drag.

It works PERFECT under OSX, no issues at all. It is definitely a driver issue that needs fixed.

21. Kingpin52 macrumors newbie

Sensitivity Improvement?

This thread has been quiet for a year, but I'm still having an overly sensitive trackpad. Anyone had any luck finding a fix?

22. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Is there a solution to this problem? The trackpad in Windows 7 is pretty much unusable right now (2011 13" mbp).

23. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Bump.

If your trackpad is working perfectly in Windows post here, and tell us how you did it.

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think it has been fixed yet and I also don't think there is a workaround until Apple themselves address the issue and releases a driver to mimic the feel of OS X.

25. silby101 macrumors member

Change Windows 7 Mouse Settings

After playing around with some settings, it now is a lot more manageable.
    In Windows 7, open Control panel, Choose Mouse, then the Wheel tab, and change the number of lines at a time to either 1 or 2.

It would be nice if there were finer adjustments, but it's better than before.

Does that help anyone else? Anyone found any other workarounds?