Macbook Pro Update before September ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLov1n, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. MacLov1n macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    I know this is all about rumors.

    Nevertheless, I would like to have your opinion on the following question. I am in the States until August 30th before getting back to Germany. I want to buy a MBP here since they are way more expensive back in Germany. What bothers me is the question if the MBP sees an update before I leave, because I dont want to buy one here and see that it gets updated 2 weeks later.

    A short look at the buyer's guide reveals that October has been popular for updates. Do you think it will be the same this year ? Just post what you think, I am happy about every input.

    Thanks + Kind Regards,

    Christian
     
  2. Bubba Satori Suspended

    Bubba Satori

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    B'ham
    #2
    I think it will be before October. My guess is August. Hopefully the third, my birthday. :D Good luck.
     
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #3
    If you search the forums for this topic, you'll find hundreds of posts, with just as many opinions. Truth is, no one seems to have an accurate crystal ball. Only Apple knows for sure!
     
  4. Bubba Satori Suspended

    Bubba Satori

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    B'ham
    #4

    All too true. Cupertino secrecy reminds me of the iron curtain sometimes.:rolleyes: But there is a new mobile chipset arriving in July, so hopefully something will be ready in August.
     
  5. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #5
    or july because apple likes to keep up with technology like every other company.

    2.53 ghz penryn 25watt
    4 gb ddr2 800mhz
    512mb nvidia 9600m GT with hybrid SLI
    320 gb 5400rpm hdd

    If I can get that, I will be a happy camper. (hybrid sli is just it turns off the discrete graphics when on battery power)
     
  6. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

    MacBookProJoe

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle, Warshington
    #6
    SLI is two or more cards. Please explain further.
     
  7. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #7
    I just did....it can turn off discrete graphics to save power. The 9600 does this, and ati has something similar for its latest mobile cards as well.

    It's called hybrid because it works like a hybrid car using integrated graphics as a car would use its electric motor. It's not really SLI like you see in alienware laptops etc.
     
  8. yaddam205 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #8
    I wouldn't mind seeing dual graphics on there just not both Nvidia. I would like to see a X3100 and a 9600GM with the option to use either one of Battery Life (X3100) and the other for performance (9600) just like the sony SZ series.
     
  9. MacLov1n thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #9
    I hope you are right..... How long was the delay when Intel introduced Penryn until Apple updated their MBP ?
     
  10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #10
    I'd be surprised if apple implement montivena that quick,i for one think montivena aint worth the wait,but nehalem now your cooking with gas
     
  11. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #11
    and you are absolutely right. Unfortunately I'm coming to the end of my rope and I need to poo or get off the pot.

    I cannot wait for nehalem. Neither can the OP. Such is life :(
     
  12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #12
    I dunno what to say,but i don't think it's gonna be before sept ( if it's the back to school thing your waiting on,me i'm long past that ) to be honest whatever happens it's not like your gonna be stuck with a slug
     
  13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
    #13
    sli this year will not happen for the macbook pro
     
  14. Kaupa macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
  15. Dkrtemp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    #15
    Why u so sure??? hope you are wrong :eek:
     
  16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #16
    He/she aint sure just like the rest of us
     
  17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
    #17
    i hate you

    go to hell :(


















    lol jk :D :mad:
    btw neil that a freaky avatar
     
  18. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

    Tex-Twil

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Europe
    #18
    Haha ! I guess you are Steve Job's son to give us the exact date of the update. Could you also tell us the hour of the day please ?
     
  19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

    winninganthem

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #19
    All too true.

    No matter what you get your computer will always become outdated within a couple months. Just gotta be happy with what you got, unless having absolutely the newest things all the time is the most important thing to you.
     
  20. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #20
  21. Fabreze macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #21
    I really hope something is updated soon. I need a new mbp before school, but this suspense is killing me.
     
  22. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

    Tex-Twil

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Location:
    Europe
    #22
    you are not the only one :) I'm waiting foe this update to switch for the 1st time to OSX from Win/Linux and I really look forward to it. Be patient my friend ;)

    T.
     
  23. duncanm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #23
    Jesus...buy a MBP now. If a new one comes out in the near future that you "OMG I JUST HAVE TO GET IT!!11" sell your current MBP and upgrade.

    Is this a difficult concept for people? The resale value on these computers is extremely high.

    These threads drive me crazy! :D
     
  24. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    #24
    Okay honestly I would just buy it now.

    First of all its highly unlikely the next revision will come out in 1-2 months. Even if you did wait, the next revision will be out in just about 6 more months or w/e. You can't escape it, there is always something better around the corner.

    I was going to wait, but honestly ESPECIALLY in Montevina vs Santa Rosa, there won't be a noticeable user-end difference in speed.

    Now what we KNOW for sure is that if there is an update in 1-2 months, its not gonna be HUGE, because apple would have at least dropped some hints about that, since its so soon.

    If you want to wait 2-4 months for the next update go ahead. Me, I'd rather just have my macbook for those 2-4 months, and then 4 years after that :cool:. Honestly I think its ridiculous that people think an update to the Monteniva will leave SR in the dust.
     
  25. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #25
    According to what I've seen though, there is a fair-sized drop in CPU power consumption. And I suppose that should translate to longer battery life?
     

Share This Page