Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crocodile

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
New MBP enclosure design with Montevina

(Been lurking here for a while - second post)

Apple was never going to re-design the MacBook Pro without a good reason. Following various discussions across different boards, I am starting to wonder whether that reason may now have arrived.

My understanding is that, when assembled, the assorted components of the Penryn/ Montevina chipset now take up much less room within the MBP than before, freeing-up interior space to allow for a slimmer, lighter enclosure.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but losing a few millimeters thickness could well reduce the overall weight. Add the new keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how Apple could evolve the current design to provide some worthwhile advantages.

The other reason to update the MBP is that among all of Apple's existing designs, it is the oldest. But it is also one of the best which why Apple seems to be letting it run and run.

I guess most laptop vendors will announce new models around July 11th when the very late Centrino 2 finally arrives. Apple should not be too far behind the curve and I am pretty confident we'll see an updated MacBook Pro if not a new design by September if not August.

I'd sure be interested to hear what you good people think about this.

MacLov1n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
(Been lurking here for a while - second post)

Apple was never going to re-design the MacBook Pro without a good reason. Following various discussions across different boards, I am starting to wonder whether that reason may now have arrived.

My understanding is that, when assembled, the assorted components of the Penryn/ Montevina chipset now take up much less room within the MBP than before, freeing-up interior space to allow for a slimmer, lighter enclosure.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but losing a few millimeters thickness could well reduce the overall weight. Add the new keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how Apple could evolve the current design to provide some worthwhile advantages.

The other reason to update the MBP is that among all of Apple's existing designs, it is the oldest. But it is also one of the best which why Apple seems to be letting it run and run.

I guess most laptop vendors will announce new models around July 11th when the very late Centrino 2 finally arrives. Apple should not be too far behind the curve and I am pretty confident we'll see an updated MacBook Pro if not a new design by September if not August.

I'd sure be interested to hear what you good people think about this.

Thanks for your input. I hope you are right. :cool:

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I don't know whether this is true or not, but losing a few millimeters thickness could well reduce the overall weight. Add the new keyboard and a gesture-enabled trackpad and you get some idea as to how

My thoughts are how the hell is it going to loose a few mm in thickness,try looking at the ports,the only way it could get slimmer is the screen,but across the 17' models its liable to bow/warp

Dkrtemp

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Okay honestly I would just buy it now.

First of all its highly unlikely the next revision will come out in 1-2 months. Even if you did wait, the next revision will be out in just about 6 more months or w/e. You can't escape it, there is always something better around the corner.

I was going to wait, but honestly ESPECIALLY in Montevina vs Santa Rosa, there won't be a noticeable user-end difference in speed.

Now what we KNOW for sure is that if there is an update in 1-2 months, its not gonna be HUGE, because apple would have at least dropped some hints about that, since its so soon.

If you want to wait 2-4 months for the next update go ahead. Me, I'd rather just have my macbook for those 2-4 months, and then 4 years after that :cool:. Honestly I think its ridiculous that people think an update to the Monteniva will leave SR in the dust.

I plan on keeping the mbp for 3 years or maybe more, so if im going to be with a computer for 3 years, I rather it to be cooler, a little bit faster and to have a better battery life, so if the update is so near, I'm going to wait so i can get it, hopefully XD, it is not because I want the latest and greatest.

Crocodile

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
My thoughts are how the hell is it going to loose a few mm in thickness,try looking at the ports,the only way it could get slimmer is the screen,but across the 17' models its liable to bow/warp

The MacBook air is much thinner and neither port access nor torsional rigidity are issues. (Although the number of ports sure is!) I think the thinness of the Air's external DVD burner together with the thinness of the Air's LED screen and frame provide a good indication of what Apple could do to slim-down the MacBook Pro.

What I'm suggesting is that Apple could reduce the Pro to around 20 mm or 8/10ths of an inch versus the current 25 mm / 1-inch thickness and still have room for a DVD burner. But even a reduction of 1/8th of an inch in thickness would make a difference. I love the MBP but it is a heavy beast to lug around, so any weight reduction would be welcome.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
The MacBook air is much thinner and neither port access nor torsional rigidity are issues. (Although the number of ports sure is!) I think the thinness of the Air's external DVD burner together with the thinness of the Air's LED screen and frame provide a good indication of what Apple could do to slim-down the MacBook Pro.

What I'm suggesting is that Apple could reduce the Pro to around 20 mm or 8/10ths of an inch versus the current 25 mm / 1-inch thickness and still have room for a DVD burner. But even a reduction of 1/8th of an inch in thickness would make a difference. I love the MBP but it is a heavy beast to lug around, so any weight reduction would be welcome.

Ok granted about the ports but I'm not sure about DVI also what about internally,plus the air hasn't a 17" screen where talking 4'' difference here

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm like a lot of you. I start college on Sept. 3, and it sure would be nice to have one of the newer MBPs. That means I have to buy it by around the last week of August. I might be able to squeeze one week out of Septem

Unfortunately, I have to have the latest and greatest and like what has been said before, the less power consumption and longer battery life, even if it's 5-10 minutes, is still something I would take.

C'mon Apple, don't let me down!

P.S. I don't want a new case, I like the one they have now!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Little juicy tidbit...

Check out this quote from the guy at a Apple Reseller who sells a ton of Macs to students when I mentioned waiting to buy my MBP because of an impending update:

'You are probably right about the "update".....i noticed that we are getting macbook pro orders very quickly, which means Apple is unloading their stock very fast, and this means it is because they are about to announce a new line....'

Speculation of course, but this comes from years of experience dealing with Apple as a company....?

sixtyone

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
i just can't see a re-design while the Student promotion is going on... maybe after that but my feeling is that it will be Jan 09...

Omnipotentsco

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
i just can't see a re-design while the Student promotion is going on... maybe after that but my feeling is that it will be Jan 09...

If I'm not mistaken, they offer iMacs in the Student Promotion, and a new case design was introduced in August last year for them.

spook2517

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
So just like almost everyone, I am in the should I hold off a little or just buy grey area. I will be using this Macbook Pro a lot. Everything from regularly using FCP, Protools and Adobe CS3 - to internet surfing/DVD watching. I know they will update these computers sooner or later, but I am primarily concerned about the chipset. Specifically Montevina vs Santa Rosa. I do not have a high enough computer knowledge to know if the Montevina actually offers superior upgrades. Any other information in laymans terms on why Montevina wins out would be greatly appreciated.

d33250

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Montevina chipset

Montevina has the following advantages:
Faster FSB (front side bus) 1066MHz versus 800MHz
Faster DDR3 memory, which requires less power --> longer battery life
Chipset requires less power --> longer battery life
Native WiMAX support
Faster integrated graphics, X4500 with HD support

stryfe137

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2006

i think it's a possibility. the date the student discount ends has been in recent years tied to a new ipod announcement in september, not new macs. a good example of this is last august with the redesign of the imac and the intro of the ipod touch and iphone price drop coming in september.

the only thing that would be holding up an update past august for the laptops is intel with the montevina delay. with intel, apple has waited at least a month before updating the laptops with a new chipset.

it also does not make sense to update a laptop with a new design and have the same chipset as it did beforehand. nehalem will not be ready in time for macworld'09. it would upset a lot of people and it will not be a clear break from one generation of a product to another.

lastly, appleinsider has recently been fairly accurate when it comes to
sources, especially with the macbook air. i trust their sources more than anybody else's.

urbanskywalker

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2007
yes it's true. I bought a new imac and got a free ipod in August last year. I waited for the update just like most of you seem to be doing. Let's keep in mind Apple sells computers to more than just students.

If I'm not mistaken, they offer iMacs in the Student Promotion, and a new case design was introduced in August last year for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.