Macbook Pro Update - Expert Responses Only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cuse7284, Jan 30, 2010.

1. cuse7284 macrumors member

Everyone wants to know when the Macbook Pro will be updated next. I have read every single post about what everyone thinks. And while I appreciate everyones input, my mind has been muddled. I want to ask those of you who are Expert mac users, long time mac historians and advanced tech geeks who work in this field. When do you think the Macbook Pro will be updated. So here are the guidelines. To respond to this thread please respond:

1. What makes you a Pro and eligible to post here beyond just being an apple fanboy?

2. When do you think Apple will release the next MBP and Why?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

1. Because I can spell "eligible"
    (nice edit of your original post)

2. I don't know

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why should we prove that we are experts on Apple?

Look, there is the buyer's guide on the top right of this page, that's the only statistic and knowledge we can go buy right now. Apple uses an erratic update cycle, sometimes it takes six months, sometimes 9, sometimes 4 or sometimes less/more.

Apple is the only one in the know, and if someone in the know would post here, they would break some laws.

There are already dozens of threads about this, why make a new one?

It's one of the next Tuesdays, the very latest would be the 28th of December.

4. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I am not a Mac expert, but I have asked experts/life long mac users and followers that I know the same question and here's what they tell me...

There will almost certainly be an update in Feb. Apple updates the Macbook Pros regularly every 8 months (every Feb of alternate years), so a refresh is due.

The upgrade will almost certainly offer the Intel i5 processor, A higher resolution screen, a much better GPU than the 2 year GPUs found in current MBPs (hopefully the new ATI 5830) and will likely also feature updates such as blu ray, HDMI, the improved battery tech already used in the 17 inch, an improved higher resolution iSight camera and maybe even a HDTV tuner, olEgophobic coating on the whole laptop and either SSD Drives or the recent 750GB or Terabyte 7200 rpm laptop HDDs and USB 3.0 to bring the laptop in line with other laptops already on the market these days.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

1) Because I have a brain

2) Within a month, likely within a fortnight.
    Because Apple would be stupid to wait too long, the release of new MBPs is not going to affect iPad publicity as their target consumer bases do not overlap in the slightest, and everything that is likely to be in them is already released by Intel, AMD, NVIDIA etc.

6. Peter95 macrumors member

I'm glad to have read your post....
    I was going to buy a MBP sometime nextweek, I think it'll be worth the wait even till March.
    What you said is true...
    The refresh has to comeout soon and it should include all these goodies which would def blow any current laptop out of the water...

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What a worthless and insulting thread!

What makes this MacRumors forum community great is the diversity!

By the way.....an "expert" would know to capitalize the B in MacBook Pro!:rolleyes:

8. maddan macrumors regular

1. Common sense, and doing some reading; you should try that sometime.
    2. From what people have told me on this forum, it shouldn't be too long until an update. As the Buyer's Guide points out, and as other members point out, the "usual" cycle is almost up. Apple should be updating soon; hopefully within the month.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I beleeve that the mPB willl be updited at the next 2 weeks. I am expert, you trust me!

Its always a wait game, no one ever knows for sure. If you need it, buy it. If you can wait, wait. Odds are its soon, but that is it.

10. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

The next refresh is definitely coming soon. Expect Core i5, higher resolution screens, 10 hour battery life, and a few features here and there.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Oh yeah, I don't actually care when it is updated- just bought mine six months ago...so NO, not EVERYONE wants to know!

12. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

That's quite a wish list for a refresh. I hope you are right, but I wouldn't be disappointed if only a couple of those items actually make their way through.

I'm just hoping the refresh isn't a catch 22 - where Apple does something silly like gives us a Core i5, but mucks up the battery, video, or does something silly like remove the SD card slot.

13. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Apple is pouring tons os money into the mini display port standard, so it's pretty wishful thinking that they'll include native HDMI. BluRay is also another lofty wish IMO, Apple seems determined and content to push everyone to digital downloadable media.

USB 3.0 would be cool. Standardizing around an SSD would be nice VS a louder 7200 RPM drive.

Core i5 and a better GPU is likely all this refresh will bring. I don't see them having any sort of "event" for the MBP that would detract from their iPad push. Like it or not, that's Jobs new baby and it gets the '10 love.

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Now I have to post a resume to respond to a web post?

Yikes!:eek:

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

1. For the same reason you feel justified in asking why

2. Within the next month, due to Apple calling it off at the iPad event:

http://bit.ly/c73Uk4

16. seanconn macrumors member

In my expert opinion Apple will be coming out with the new MBP when ever the hell they want.

the more threads we make the more zombie demand we create. the mbp is still extremely overpriced. My goal for it is to stay the same price, but we actually see some meaningful updates like an actual "gaming grade gpu" something that has 256bit memory, that will help both guys like me who want to play games like Mass Effect 2, but also someone using Final Cut Pro to add 3d effects ect.

If they keep the price the same, and release an i5 with the same crappy gpu, I'm definitely not buying the new macbook pro :D

If they put out an i7 and an updated gpu to something that will actually be a truly meaningful improvement over what was in the early 2007 MBP, I will buy one!

Again, I state all of this as the result of my self being a MAC EXPERT. I am not claiming to be giving infallible information straight from Steve, but I am giving you truly meaningful and highly respected opinion. Because, I am a true mac expert, and I want all people to be mac experts. lol:apple::eek:

17. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

haha:D

OP, check out the buyers guide. And no one knows when will they update it.

18. jodr macrumors member

I've owned a Lisa, a G3, a G4 cube, and the first Intel mac. I have a lifetime subscription to MacTech Magazine. I presided over Steve Jobs' bris.

Do I get the job?

Let me think back for a moment...let's see, last time Apple was upgrading unibody MBPs to an Arrandale processor, right on the heels of announcing a sleek tablet computer, they dropped the damn things on the morning of NOBODY KNOWS.

19. rmlred macrumors regular

Heard this date before, whats he got to back it up?:apple:

20. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I think it's quite doubtful that we'll see either of those. Too much DRM stuff going on with Blu-Ray. Apple already has MiniDisplay Port on the laptops, which easily convert to HDMI, so what's the point?

Apple chooses their own standards and sticks to them until they come up with something "better". What is better is up to them, but they are almost certainly not going with HDMI. I would love if they came out with Blu-Ray but I'm not sure they will.

21. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I know EXACTLY when the next MBP is going to be released, but I'm not going to tell you unless you qualify your need to know.

22. Hmac macrumors 68020

ROTFLMAO! Why...in one or two other threads here, relative to another recent new product release, we've just been discussing unrealistic expectations about Apple products. Here we see the actual birth of just such a scenario....

23. m85476585 macrumors 65816

1. I have Steve on speed dial.
    2. He told me "soon"

It's a Tuesday. There are only so many of them in the year.

Honestly no one here knows, and if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to say anything. Apple might not even know for sure, depending on how far along in the design/manufacturing process they are, and if something is holding them up (can't get part X, supplier doesn't know when it will be in).

Most people on here just know what they've read on MR or other sites. The sources of these stories are not known, but they are usually leaks, intentional or unintentional. When you come to this forum asking what we know, the best you will get is summaries and speculation based on rumors which you can read yourself on MR and other sites, and guesses.

There is usually a few months between the time when Intel starts selling a new chip and when Apple includes it in their computers. If I remember from past releases, this is something like 2-3 months. Arrandale CPUs were first released in December, I think, so an update could happen any time now.

You will start to see rumors ramping up in the month and week prior to a release. Go back and look at the rumors leading up to previous releases and look for patterns. I don't know if we've seen enough rumors for the update to happen this week, but since this probably won't be a redesign, most people probably don't care.

24. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Hey! You are breaking the rules. You are not supposed to post the answer unless you're qualified! :mad:

To the OP: you should ignore his post because he didn't state his qualifications and therefore, his opinion is invalid. :rolleyes: