Macbook pro update late 2017?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baboetoe, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. baboetoe macrumors newbie

baboetoe

Greetings guys!

Does anybody have an idea if there will be a macbook pro update for late 2017?

Normally they update the macbook a bit with the new iphone presentation right?

I want to buy one, but have not found anything on a potential update on the web yet.

Cheers!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Seeing as how we just had an update, I would not expect another until 2018, perhaps 1st quarter.

Certainly not until suitable Coffee Lake chips are shipping.

If you need a new MBPro now, buy now.
    If you can afford to wait another 6-9 months, keep waiting.

3. jerryk macrumors 68030

I think Spring of 2018 is the earliest because high powered mobile chips are always the last to ship. Maybe new versions at next year's WWDC.

And Fishrrman is correct. If you want one, buy now.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

In theory an update right before the holiday shopping season is very desirable. But in practice this might not be plausible. Intel's release schedule has been so inconsistent that there really is no way to say. Further, Apple may want to wait to update the MBP until low-voltage DDR4 is both supported and available.

Apple is presumably dependent upon both Intel and AMD to develop the respective CPU and GPU, get it to manufacturing, and then produce enough quantity to be used in a high-volume product like the MBP. And if any newer technologies are incorporated into the next MBP (such as a markedly modified battery chemistry), the wait on those Makers (should dev/production delays arise) could also affect the release.

Additionally, it seems almost certain that the iPhone's development schedule takes strong preference over the Mac (it would be a stupid decision otherwise), so Apple may intentionally avoid a concurrent release to dedicate all advertising/marketing/PR resources exclusively to iPhone and iOS devices.

5. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Last I checked, Apple has a fair amount of refurbished 2016 models on their site. If your workflow isn't super demanding, I'd look into one of those. They have the same warranty as new models (and you can get AppleCare for them too) and perhaps save quite a bit. The 2017 models are better than the 2016, but not in a drastic or meaningful way.

6. winterny macrumors 6502

I disagree on this.

There are a number of places where the 2017 models have had outsized improvements ... The CPU in the nTB 13" is reported to be >20% faster in many tests.

Also, the hardware accelerated H.265 has a high likelihood, in the long run, of making a large difference in battery life, and for certain use cases such as video editing/transcoding.

Yes there is a discount, but you need to consider also the value of the fact that you will likely have to replace the machine a year sooner if you buy the 2016 model rather than the 2017 model.

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

It would depend if new processors (after KB) are available this fall and if Apple has had 4-6 months to test them first. In other words if Apple has already been testing new processors 4-6 months prior to this Oct/Nov then yes it's possible new MBP this fall. If not, no. Apple is not going to re release Kaby Lake processors and call it a brand new late 2017 MBP.

Most likely senario is they will continue to make the mid 2017 MBP as it is until sometime in 2018 when they update it with new processors and increase ram. The good news is Apple seems to be staying on top of the latest processors for the MBP because of recent heat they are getting from investors and customers that they are not releasing new products or keeping their current products fresh.

8. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Considering Apple dropped the 'early' and 'late' nomenclatures from models at the beginning of this year (i.e. late 2012 Macbook Pro), I think the odds 100 to 1 for them to drop another MBP model in 2017. They actually removed the 'late' from the 2016 Macbook Pro. Previously referred to on Apple's own website as the 'Late 2016 Macbook Pro', it's now just referred to as the '2016 Macbook Pro'.

In part of their 're-commitment' to the Mac platform also announced earlier this year, I suspect they'll have solid annual releases from here on out for the main Macbook models. I think they'll probably do something similar to this year and just drop all the Macs at once, annually.

9. baboetoe thread starter macrumors newbie

baboetoe

Thats a solid point hmmm..

10. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Wouldn't have thought so. They don't tend to stay in sync with Intel, hence they had Skylake just as Intel was releasing Kaby Lake. Now they will already have Kaby Lake when Intel releases Coffee Lake, so there'll be nothing to do unless they're getting in sync, and we'll see mid 2018 as the next version.

If you check the Buyers Guide it's not unheard of to have two in one year (there was an early 2013 and a late 2013), but unusual, and this would be even more unusual given that it's a mid-2017 model. We all know Apple is slowing down on Mac releases these days so I'd be betting closer to that 527 day gap than the 250-280 day gap from the past.

Interesting point on them dropping the "early/mid/late" from official designations - that further suggests a 365 day ballpark.