MacBook pro update prediction:late 2011 (oct 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone3gs, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

MacBook pro update prediction:late 2011 (oct 2011).

What specs are you predicting and any change in hardware: light peak extra slots

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Hopefully Ivy Bridge, and better default graphics. Extra Thunderbolt(lightpeak) ports is doubtful, because one of its big points it the ability to daisy chain.

3. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

On the 13" MBP:

Processor speed: 2.7ghz i5 quad core for the base model
    4gb ram
    500gb hardrive

4. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

We all know the 13" won't get quad core for another 6 years :p

Seriously though, the next update will include a liquidmetal unibody; it just has to.

5. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Operating system loaded on SSD, hybrid drive system. Standard high res graphics, thinner new casing material.

6. Ach111es macrumors regular

There isn't going to be another big update for another year..most likely aroun this time or spring. If anything they may do a speed bump per usual after a few months. Possibly (don't know anything about motherboard and build compatibility) they will throw ivy bridge into it.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Mark my words:

Now that they've shoved Intel's IGP down our throats, it's a foregone conclusion that a discrete GPU will never happen in the MBP13. Really, why should anyone ever expect this in the future now that the dirty deed's been done? Because of sluggish MBP13 sales? LOL! Just read the boards. People are so disgusted they are just moving up to the 15. :D Apple has finally found a way to differentiate the runt of the liter.

A new design/unibody is imminent though, as will be more Thunderbolt, and a CPU bump.

And I really doubt hybrid boot technology - that's just a temporary fix while waiting for SSD's to come down. I think the "sweet spot" is when Apple can put a 256Gb SSD standard in an entry level MBP13 and still hold the price to $1199-$1249.

Of course a year from now pigs may start flying so who knows...

8. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. Apple invested a lot in those machines for cutting aluminium.

And Liquidmetal is not exactly cheap.

9. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Who cares?

Hey, who cares what the future MBP upgrade will be? There is only one point in time when you can buy a technology products - at exactly the wrong time. If you like it - buy it, if not then don't. This early 2011 upgrade cycle was a big jump from previous 2010 models.

But it's nothing compared to the upcoming early 2014 MBP models who will be only 2mm thick, 3D retina display, 5TB SATA IV RAID 0+1 Arrays, 36 Core i-12 5.6GHz and have a weight of only 0.8 Lbs, selling for 3200$

So if this is your dream machine, then wait for it. Use your money, say 2000$, to buy some Apple Stock (NOW!), hold it for 3 years and purchase the top-of-the-line 2014 MacBook Pro with the profit you make with AAPL stock.

Trust me, I have seen these 2014 models already using my TimeMachine...

10. tdream macrumors 65816

There's not going to be another update until 2012. Airs will get updated foo.

11. WMuntean macrumors regular

How did you get your Time Machine to go forward? Mine only lets me go back in time. Is it in the system preferences?

12. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Looking at the latest Apple's patent application that shows new buttons on the enclosure, as well as, the latest doing away of DVD packaged software, I really hope the new design will coincide with the 10.7 release. Aside from the regular speed bumps in cpus/gpus. the removal of the archaic DVDr, will allow them to rearrange the guts inside the new enclosure and come up with a thinner, faster, awesome looking machine.

13. 8000rpm macrumors regular

IMO the 13 will benefit most as ivy bridge has double the performance of sandy bridge gpu.

When the amd cards get the die shrink and paired with ivy bridge the pros will be screamers for sure.

Personally I want to rid the optical drive and have a larger battery. Most people only use odds occasionally so it's better to just have an external.

14. MBX macrumors 65816

IvyBridge what?

I thought SandyBridge was the **** for at least another year and now there's gonna be IvyBridge in a bit over a half a year with double the speed of Sandy?

Argh... really?

15. 8000rpm macrumors regular

Basically the on board gpu on sandybridge was a fast tracked release. Ivy bridge doubles the on board graphics power. I can't remember if ivy gets a die shrink too but it's gonna be the bad boy CPU for a long time. Late this year graphics processors will get a die shrink increasing video card performance 30-40% as well so yeah In a year everyone will be shedding these 2011 releases.

16. --Ryan-- macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Update Predition: October 2011

If you look at the trend Apple has always released MacBook Pro updates every 8-10 months. They also do not typically release the new MacBook Pros at the same time that new Intel processors are released (it happened for Sandy Bridge but that was an exception to the rule). Usually they release the new Pros around 1-3 months after a CPU update is available.

I would say that in October we should expect to see some kind of upgrade, and if we are going to see a redesign at all in the next year I would expect it to be in October (Apple always needs there to be something notable about a new update; it is usually new and improved processors or another feature or two, like the glass trackpad and automatic graphics switching). Consider that Ivy Bridge probably won't be out until March 2012.

The last update was a huge jump in terms of hardware, so I can only imagine we will see some kind of redesign. I would guess either no ODD, replaced with a second hard drive and a built-in SSD; this seems especially likely now that the Mac Mini has shed the ODD. Maybe we'll even see Liquidmetal if we're lucky.

17. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

What kind of upgrade should this be?

The 2011 update was such a big step Apple will take a bit longer to update... best guess is March 2012 for Ivy Bridge.

18. Liquinn Suspended

19. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 2011 Q4 is just a speed bump, probably just an optional upgrade you can select.

15" MBP will get 2.4 ghz and 2.5 ghz i7 Quad cores with both a TDP of 45W.

The 13" MBP will get a 2.8ghz i7 Dual cores with a TDP of 35W.

20. Liquinn Suspended

I don't want to buy something and then a newer model/redesign comes out 4 months later, that would suck :/

21. mark28 macrumors 68000

Don't be too sure about that. Intel will come with new high end Sandy Bridge mobile CPU's later this year :p

22. SisterRay macrumors regular

Here is what I would like

Remodel
    SSD as standard
    No optical drive
    Discrete graphics card in space available from optical drive removal
    Ivybridge processor, but I doubt this would be ready this year
    Liquid Metal case - I think this is very unlikely, if so may only be on 15" and above as byo

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's not a new model, it's probably just going to be more optional upgrades from the Apple store with the base models staying the same.

We saw with the 2010 MBP for which the 2.8 ghz i7 become also available for upgrade.

So unless you go for the best possible configurations, it all stays the same :p

24. Liquinn Suspended

I suppose I've been waiting this long, I can hold out for the refresh 2012.

I should just enjoy what I have for the time being ;D