Macbook Pro Update Soon? When to Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woot1289, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Woot1289 macrumors newbie

HELP!!

I need a MBP for college (which starts at the end of August), but I'm also reading about this Montevina update.

I would really like to get the updated version if possible.

Is this going to happen by August? Or am I wasting my time?

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

You need more power for college>>>? Id say get what you need and be happy with it (personally I dont see why there is all this 'New xxxx comming, shall I buy now' as I left the windows camp to get away from all that and it seems here the Mac crowd are just as obsessed.

seriously - if you know what you want the MBP to do for you and the current models do it well, then there is your answer.

Apple has not confirmed any update schedules for mac hardware this year (tho they usually keep it quiet from us) so I wouldnt waste time on what if's.

after all you could wait for next January and get something even newer....

just see what you want and if it is available now or not..

4. w00143881 macrumors newbie

College student. MBP? Almost unnecessary, especially if ur traveling via plane and such. I got the powerbook g4 15in when i went to college freshman year. 3 years later, i got the blackbook and not only is it cheaper, its just easier to carry around the the library and such.

If i were you this is what i would do. I'd buy a super cheap PC laptop (like 299) from costco or something. I'm assuming new macs by atleast november so you could return your PC to costco (as long as its within 30 days) and buy a new mac. I know, i'm terrible.

5. Woot1289 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still struggling with when to buy it. I guess I'm wondering how the current processors differ from Montevina. I'm having trouble finding benchmarks.

6. Yixian macrumors 65816

This lack of knowledge of when next models will hit really ruins being a mac user for anyone more computer literate than your average joe. A lot of us have both performance AND time requirements, and making a decision is made almost impossible by Apple's unpredictable upgrade schedules.

Also, to the above, August 12th, why should I believe you? We see "this tuesday, I guarantee it" every single week and never hear from those posters again once the day comes and we are sill without updates. Why should I believe you?

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

This question has been asked so many times b4. Everyone asks whether thy should buy now or wait for the new model, and will the new model be better.

It's always best to get the best computer that you can afford when you need it. I am not sure how long it has been since the last mbp upgrade, but one has been rumored for awhile, maybe even with changes to the case.

So, if you don't need the system until August, then I would just wait until u really need it and get what is available at the time. I usually upgrade just when a new model is released, not in the middle of a product cycle. That way, I have the 'latest and greatest' for a few months or so b4 the next version is released.

Resist the urge to buy just because you want it really badly right now.

Good luck.....

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

if they do that i will be ecstatic, thats my birthday :)

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I had a 2.33GHz C2D and I was very pleased with its performance; especially using Gimp and outputting 720P videos to a flat panel. I mention these because they are both reasonable college uses.

However, I am interested in this thread because I would like to see another 2 hours of battery life and nicer graphics card (HDMI-Output).

10. Woot1289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I suppose I'll try. I just wish I could see the benchmark difference so I knew...

11. GUILTIE macrumors regular

You're on a forum on a site call MacRumors. Isn't that to be expected? ;)

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because it's a Tuesday. Apple releases all of its important products on Tuesdays.

*Waits for the iPhoners to realize what that means*

13. Glueeater macrumors regular

You can't find benchmarks for a product that doesn't exist yet? Shocking.

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You don't understand. It's like "Candyman". If we ask the same question three times a day every day, eventually Steve Jobs will appear with the new product. :D

Though after awhile, I have to admit I wish it was Biggy Smalls who would appear and bust a cap in their bum for not bothering to just look at the last 24 hour's thread list, to say nothing of actually doing a search, and seeing that it's been asked eight times in the last four hours.

15. Woot1289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, Intel released the processor to be benchmarked a few months ago. I'm just having trouble finding the results. But thanks for your insight :)

16. Glueeater macrumors regular

If you're talking about those, it was evident Montevina did not provide a significant boost. It seems to be mostly about the features if you want to wait.

This whole "should i wait or buy omgz im going to college" thing seems redundant.

If you're going to college (Yes, I am in the same boat), why even ask the question? Are you in such a dire need of a laptop you cannot wait until August?

17. ibanana macrumors 6502

Where this august date for the new MBP release is coming from?
    hopefully it's true as my old powerbook G4 1ghz is tired.

18. Woot1289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since the processor is coming out in July, I'm hoping that Apple will want to update their computers well ahead of the Nehalem update in early 2009. Thus, August is the target.

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

iphone 3g will be out on friday..

20. GUILTIE macrumors regular

I really doubt Apple will update any of the notebooks involved in the Back to School deal during the promotion. It would make lots of angry customers!

21. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I think it would make people happy. More people would be angry if they updated the week after the promotion ended. And I would be happy :)

22. BMP1199 macrumors member

Ok that is a stupid statement. You think Apple will push back updates because they might anger people who just bought a product. Then why would they ever update at all? That is technology for you. It is constantly updating.

23. GUILTIE macrumors regular

It's not a stupid statement because Apple clearly values the feelings of their customers - why else would they have given $100 credit to early iPhone adopters after the price drop? A business' overall objective is to make money, and it would hurt them more than help them (long term) if they updated the computers during the promotion.

But then again thats just my view and we'll have to see what happens! Plus I'd rather them update it now anyway, I just don't think it's gonna happen. :(

24. BMP1199 macrumors member

I understand customer satisfaction is on a company's priority but competition is also right up there. Their competition will be releasing these amazing new laptops with this Centrino 2 (montevina) in July/August and everyone will look to Apple. If Apple sits there and does nothing... Well that looks a little worse. Technology is always going to update and if you (as a customer) are getting upset with a company for keeping up with the market then I don't know what to tell you.

25. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Don't forget they need to please the stock holders, and their probably expecting Apple to stay with the competition.