Macbook pro updates coming february 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orfeas0, Jan 19, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I'm not asking you when they will be released, neither do I have a leak/rumour about it.
    But think about it, everyone is waiting for the new update of MBPs. That means the sales of the current generation are dropping pretty low last month. They HAVE to upgrade their systems, or the sales will keep dropping while waiting!
    But I hope it's a good upgrade, not just one to make you buy it because you can't have something more.

2. simsaladimbamba

Not every MBP buyer knows about Sandy, thus they don't stop buying just because newer models could come out. It was the same last year, MBPs got ix CPUs in April, while other vendors had them in January or February.
    And Apple just reported their best quarter yet.

Again, not many Apple users or prospective buyers use the internet to acquire knowledge about new CPU technologies, we at MR or other Apple related boards are just a minority.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most people have no idea about Sandy Bridge or updated MBP. Only a fraction of potential buyers are aware of the fact that MBPs may be updated soon. Thousands of MBPs are sold, everyday.

4. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, it's not just about sandy bridge updates which 95% of computer users don't know about, but when you're gonna buy a laptop (especially if you're buying a mac), you're probably gonna do a fast search for it first. Or is that just my thought? But still, the sales must see at least a minor drop when approaching the end of cycle.

edit: When searching google for "buying a mac", the 2nd link is the MacRumors buyer's guide, which clearly states DO NOT BUY :p

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

I watched my uncle go through the buying process recently. At dinner he kept mentioning how slow his old machine was. I should note that he's a very educated guy, a judge actually.

After dinner, he told his wife he was heading home early so he could swing by Best Buy. While there he bought a new iMac.

I think that's the buying process for many.

6. simsaladimbamba

Not many people research online when buying a computer, though I did when buying mine, but I didn't know about Apple's upgrade cycle back then in 2004 and bought an iBook one month before new ones were released.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For some reason, every time after an update, there will be plenty of threads about "I bought my MBP xx days ago, should I return it?" and "OMFG! I just bought MBP 15 days ago, screw you Apple".

People often buy new computers when their old one breaks which means they need it now, not after one or two or nine months.

8. simsaladimbamba

But Haswell will have so many new features, I can surely hold off until then, can't I?
    Na, I just wait for Rockwell to update my Pismo.

9. jsilas macrumors regular

These threads crack me up.

I KNEW about Sandy Bridge and the likely upgrades with the next refresh, and bought in December anyway. The computer does what I want/need it to do and then some.

10. macdud macrumors member

I agree that most buyers out there have no idea of SB, but most of them do know of the existing CPU's, and when comparing what's out there today be it mac or pc's, they will notice that for example the 13" MBP's are using a very outdated C2D's...

Even myself had no idea of SB a month ago, but when i went into the apple store looking for a new 13" and realized they were still using the same C2D processor than in my current 4 year old Black Macbook, i said no way, and started researching upcoming prospects..

So i must agree, Apple needs to rapidly refresh if they want to stay relevant and not drop sales..

One important factor however is the Macbook Air.. Apple could be purposely stalling the MBP 13" refresh in order to push maximum MBA sales, which is what it's currently pushing the most as seen on their homepage.

The new 13" MBP will probably be the MBA's 13" biggest competition, as it will probably be comparable in weight, have SSD, but with increased cpu and other bells & whistles...

11. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, he's a judge, he certainly doesn't have a cash problem (no offense), but when someone is looking to buy a computer and is considering the price and everything, he probably wants the best offer. I'm not saying everyone, but there must be a distinctive difference between let's say january sales and last september sales.

12. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I agree. I don't need a SB processor, a C2D 13" would work out for me just fine. But if I am going to spend the money, I don't want old tech.

13. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

And that's what's important :)

14. brentsg macrumors 68030

But the point is that most people buy something when they need it. They don't wait for something that offers than a marginal improvement that they would never notice, at the expense of inconvenience.

I know it seems crazy to people that hang out here, but average folks don't scour the web researching computer technology when they buy. It's simply something that they do not understand, nor care to.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I have two friends that bought new MBP's in the last month or so. One just this week. They are very knowlegable about music production, but aren't followers what's coming out when. They honestly don't care. There is no great stoppage of sales due to an impending update.

You might see that on here, but we are a minority little bubble in the grand scheme of Apple consumers.

16. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

If the '11 mbp comes out with usb 3.0, bluray dvd player, and 13" anti-glare...i might just upgrade :eek:. we shall see how this year's update goes :]

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

yeah thats the process for a great deal of people. i make it my duty in life to assist my family/friends when buying anything in tech so atleast they can get the best bang for your buck instead of just buying the nice looking thing or whatever sounds good.

18. zodqyv macrumors regular

At my house we usually buy 1-2 Mac notebooks per year, but only buy a new Mac Pro every few years. The next Mac Pro will be a Haswell based machine. Haswell should indeed be revolutionary. Rockwell will just be a die-shrink.

19. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

Anyhow, waiting for updates most of the time is useless. You get better bang for buck being satisfied with your equipment the months you wait rather than cursing and hanging around forums waiting for some bizarre new CPU architecture that makes your email opening 10% faster.

I constantly play the waiting game myself, but would not recommend it to most people.

20. zodqyv macrumors regular

I will be buying one regardless, but it is indeed time to either update the MacBook to Blu-ray or dump the internal optical drive completely. There is nothing "super" about the current super-drive.

21. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its not really waiting but it really sucks when you buy a macbook and a week/month later its so updated that you wanna throw yours out of the window :p ok im exaggerating but you get the point.

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Heres the deal at least in my opinion; Even if you returned your current Macbook and got the new one after a few days you probably would either regret it or not notice a difference...I mean you can read about specs all day long but its allot different when you ACTUALLY look at your uses and ACTUALLY physically use the two...Also when MacBook's are updated especially the pro's its usually nothing completely revolutionary like the iPhone in which case if you baught a 3GS the day before the iPhone 4 you would want to shoot your self. People always say just wait like 3 months...but what if you need the computer now? Just as a reference to an example my previous windows laptop died (RIP Stewy you will be missed) a few weeks ago...if I didn't have my MacBook I would not be happy at all....I thought it was cool typing on the ipad but not something I wanted to do on a regular basis especially considering the length of papers I write and even after some long posts like this it just gets annoying.

23. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

true, its not that big of a difference, like iphone 3gs->4 (although this macbook pro update is expected to change a lot, if they actually believe the Air is the future of laptops). But if you check the last white macbook update (2,26ghz -> 2,4 , and GMA-> nvidia 320m), its really a HUGE difference, at least gpu-wise.
    so you're all saying the difference won't be much, but i really wanna wait and see the new MBP. I can't say i wouldn't like the current one, but if im gonna buy a new laptop, i want it to be the best it can be, if you understand me.

24. PUMMYUK macrumors member

I am in the same boat as a lot of folks here, waiting for a refresh before purchasing.

I think for most people, the need to wait for the new kit is based on a few thoughts...

1) get the latest kit for show or to actually utilise it
    2) get the best bang for buck to ensure longevity of your purchase
    3) get one to replace a broken computer or because they feel the need to obtain one

I think most fall under 3, with a minority falling in 1 & 2.

I fall under 2 as it seems software is requiring an increasing hardware minimum pre requisite to operate smoothly.

I have been waiting since Nov to see when a refresh comes out and will patiently waiting for the refresh to arrive and then decide either to get the outgoing 15" or buy the refreshed 15". Only to determine if the parts which cannot be upgraded yourself are worth the wait.

25. presdaddy macrumors newbie

my 2007 macbook pro was stolen in august and ive been waiting for the update ever since. im fairly hopeful for a february update sometime after feb 10th.