Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlrcmba14

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
In my informal testing on my Macbook Air, battery life is about 40% shorter with Chrome than Safari. Firefox when I last tried it out was about 25% shorter battery life than Safari, though Firefox has gone through a lot of changes since I've tried to measure. I would consider using Safari, but I always have a lot of tabs open and while it is smooth as butter in light use, it has always choked on higher numbers of tabs that Chrome and FF could handle better.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
A majority of the people complaining about poor battery life are using Chrome and won't even entertain using Safari.

That's true...Chrome is an energy hog. I'll use it on my iMac, but not on my MBP. And I only use Chrome to access specific websites (like Kaiser Permanente), as they refuse to display properly in Safari. I am so glad I got the previous model, I don't have to worry about touchbars, battery drain, lack of USB-A, etc.

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Rtfa. These are people doing the same thing they did on their old machine, and the new MBP with a NEW battery dies quicker.

RTFA yourself. People are complaining they didn't get the "10 hours" of battery life Apple Promised them. Apple didn't promise them 10 hours doing whatever they want. .. nor did they promise "10 hours of doing the same thing your old machine did". They promised 10 hours of battery life under the conditions of use they advertised which did not include using Chrome which sucks... or driving a external displaying.... while on Battery (seriously why would anybody even need to do that anyway?

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Neither are power-user applications. If that beast cannot even run a multi-platform browser like Chrome properly, well, kiss that "Pro" moniker goodbye and spend that money on a machine that deserves the name.

Chrome is, and has always been, an inefficient browser. Who cares if it is multi-platform? It is gas hog and has been that way on EVERY MBP ever. Apple doesn't need to make their system last 10 hours running a pile of crap application.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Neither are power-user applications. If that beast cannot even run a multi-platform browser like Chrome properly, well, kiss that "Pro" moniker goodbye and spend that money on a machine that deserves the name.

By 'cannot run Chrome properly' you mean getting 9 hours battery life while running Chrome? Because that's what this article's talking about.

I only ask this because I've frequently seen you make the argument that Pros don't need or care about battery life. Or that Pros don't just spend their time browsing the Internet.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I have a 15" 2.9Ghz, 512Gb, 16Gb RP 460, and get around 4 hrs surfing blogs in Safari with the brightness at 25%. This F*****g sucks. An online session with Apple involving my diagnostics info revealed an unusual drain on the battery, even though the machine was barely ticking over. I also get the occasional display glitch on boot up. Looks like I'll have to bring this into an Apple store, but how can they simply swap out the glued in batteries - likely I'll have to get a new machine in the middle of a job I just started. Welcome to Apple Appliance Co.

Do they still have a QA dept?

Otherwise I LOVE this machine.

1) did you use Migration Assistant ? If yes, perform a re-install
2) are you using Sierra beta ? If yes, install regular Sierra
3) do a SMC/Pram reset

90% of users with problems have experienced better battery life with these 3 steps

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If Apple wasn't so obsessed with making these things as thin as absolutely possible, then we could have had both 32GB and good battery life.

How? The battery life complaint has already been answered. Apple won't put a bigger battery in, as a battery capacity greater than 100 watt-hours wouldn't be allowed on an airplane. The previous gen already had 99.5.

So please, enlighten us: if you can't make the battery bigger, how would a thicker laptop help with battery life? How would 32GB RAM help?

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Share your experience with surface pro
What is there to say vs. the millions of reviews you can find? I'll try:

I have a 5k iMac, iPhone 7+, Apple Watch and iPad Pro 12". Yes, a MBP would fit well in this ecosystem, but I'm not platform loyal. I buy quality hardware first, which this emojiPro just isn't.

The SP4 isn't perfect, but it's extremely portable, the pen is outstanding and Windows 10 is fine (don't believe the Apple purists). Yes it's different, but in all honesty, the SP4 does all I need it to do for a highly portable (i.e. laptop) machine. I'm not an armchair graphic designer, just a normal user/consumer. Dual front facing speakers, multi-angle kickstand, IRIS Hello unlocking and an excellent keyboard make it a solid choice for me.

I'm not saying it's better than a $2,700 MBP, but it does "just work." Good enough for me.

If anyone is remotely into graphical stuff, I don't see why in the world you wouldn't just buy a SP4/Surface Studio. Apple is stagnated here and they won't admit it. Life is pretty good on the Surface line, this is a fact. Again, not perfect (every single thing has downsides) but for my money it works well.

Dave 1

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
I would hurry on getting that replacement battery. Historically (for me), third party battery alternatives for Macs don't age as well as Apple's.
Plus I'm sure this model will continue to get OS updates for a while.
Thanks. I guess I wrongly assumed getting obsoleted meant it simply wouldn't be able to update any more. I'll look into it when I get my tax refund at the beginning of the year.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
My issue is that it forces you over to the discrete gpu when you plug in an external display. Most common use case for me is plugging into an external display and doing a PowerPoint pesention. 1 hours eats over 30% of my battery.

Even after installing gfxcardstatus it forces you to discrete card upon plugging in external display. The intel adapter is more than capable of running a single external display at 1080p.

Apple needs to offer control over graphics card switching.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
If this doesn't end up being a battery hardware problem or chrome being a battery hog, it's very disappointing, because you can normally rely on Apple's battery estimates to be very conservative, these are Surface pro levels of lying about battery life.

Reactions: appledude222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.