Macbook Pro vs. iMac: How great is portability?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Dec 5, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Right now I have the 24" 2.8 Ghz iMac, that's about to be exchanged/repaired for display issues. However, I was having second thoughts on whether or not to go for a macbook pro instead. I am a high-school student, not in college, so portability isn't super-important, but it would seem nice to be able to move it a little bit/ put it on my bed. Is that really so great once the novelty wears off? I really enjoy the big screen on my iMac, and I don't think I'd ever be able to get a display for a laptop, so how great is the portability/ is there any other pro's and cons people would like to add?

P.S. I do a little hd video editing

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have an iMac and a MB, ever since I got the MB the iMac has hardly been used. The portability is a massive bonus for me as I can use the MB on my bed, in the lounge, in the kitchen, in the library, in lectures, in the park (although a bit too cold at the moment). Before I had the MB I wasn't sure about the whole portability thing but now if i had to buy a new computer I would go for a laptop first no question.

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you think the screen is too small?

Remember, I'm not a college student yet, by that time I'll get a laptop. Is talking it around your house as great as it seems?

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a MB and wish I had an imac. The only time I move my laptop is when I have to take it to class (law school). When I'm at home it just sits on my desk hooked up to an external display.

5. je1ani macrumors 6502

get both! :D

To be honest i didn't notice until this post when i'm at home I still spend 50% on the mbp on my bed...

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The screen is a little small but i couldn't afford the MBP, and Spaces is a real bonus in that regard.

Not just taking it around the house I can take it where-ever when-ever which means I can work when the mood takes me and if I can't work in my room I can go to the lounge to do some work, or take it off to the library, I can take it to a mates house, my girlfriends house, if i go on the train etc. etc.

My needs are different to yours, so it really depends on a person to person basis. Also you said that by the time you go to college you will buy a laptop and you have the 2.8GHz iMac which suggests you need the power now but don't really need portability.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It's really up to you however i bought the macbook mainly because it's a laptop and there's always that time you wanted to bring it somewhere however most of the time it's at my desk.

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

If you need a bigger screen, then you should probably just be getting an external monitor anyway. You don't buy a laptop because you're expecting a bigger screen and a super large resolution :confused:

9. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I really wish I could... Maybe I should save my apple gift certificates. I should have about 300-350 bucks in gift cards soon... How much do you think that sub-notebook will cost? Do you think it'll be worthy of a travel/use on bed computer (not a primary computer) and do you think it'll be less expensive than the macbook pros?

My parents think it'll be stupid to have a laptop and a display- I should keep my iMac ( I disagree, but how much do you think the new displays will cost? )

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The MacBook Pro and the iMac are essentially the same machine -- so performance won't suffer either way. Though some like the MBP GPU better..

One you get a nice big screen, the other portability.

All depends on how much money you are willing to put on grabbing either feature.

---

Besides that, you are less likely to lose the iMac to a fall than the MBP, since the al-notebooks can be pricey to repair -- and easy to damage in a fall. Which sort of means the plastic MacBook and the iMac can be a consideration if you won't be able to choke down the accidental damages of the MBP.

11. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

I used a iMac until i got my macbook pro, but i loved moving around with my computer so much i gave my mom my imac. I thought i would miss the bigger screen(had a 17in imac) but the portability is worth losing the real estate, its soo nice to be able to pick up my computer and walk into the living room and watch TV or sit closer to the heater:D

Trust me you wont miss the bigger screen

12. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

13. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

yes

14. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

How is your eyesight (seriously). I don't have great eyes ( so I like a bigger screen) I've used small screens before, without a problem, I just think I like bigger. What is the adjustment to a laptop like? I'm going from really BIG to small

15. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

I have horrible eyesight (barely 20/20 with glasses)

for about a 2 day period i was sub-conciously under the impression that my laptop was glued to my desk, but after that it was gravy. You get a whole new sense of freedom and coolness when you cn walk around your house and surf the web

I also thought i would freak out if my battery was less than 100% charged at all times, turns out i really dont care as long as the computer runs

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I wear glasses (reasonably strong ones too) and went from 20" to 13.3" which is a pretty big jump down. But i don't notice it going that way, but when I use my iMac everything seems way to big and it feels a bit toy like.

With Spaces I have a space setup for basically each application I use and have the application maximised to fullscreen, so the windows are actually pretty big. Combine that with expose and you are set to go.

17. eyehop macrumors regular

I have an old powerbook and haven't replaced it because I find that life needs a little balance and discipline. I like going one place for computing, another for tv, another for the phone. That way I still have many other places where I'm not faced with work and mass media. Portable anythings can get in the way of living a real life and communicating with real people if you're not careful.

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'd love to have a MB or MBP for portability but for me personally its not that much of an issue. I can do all of my work from home.

I can tell you that I 'upgraded' to my current 24" iMac from a 20" and while this screen seemed gigantic at first it now just seems 'normal' and 20" looks tiny to me.

If you can only go with one, portability is not a life or death issue and you really care about screen size I would definitely recommend sticking with the 24" iMac.

Like everyone in here said, it's really all about what your own personal needs are. It sounds to me like screen size matters to you though.

19. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Is using the macbook pro on your bed worth the decrease in screen size?

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

you keep coming back to screen size so it seems this is a very important thing for you.

It is for me but we can't tell you how/where you will use your MBP.

when going about your normal day, think to yourself could I use an MBP in this situation, would it be really beneficial. Would it be cool to have an MBP here and now.

21. xrevision macrumors newbie

I've been repairing notebooks for a few years now (read:7). One thing I would suggest is that you NOT use these on your lap or on your bed that often. First of all the current ones are hot and need all of the ventilation they can get. And because they are hot they can get uncomfortable (which is why they are being called notebooks now instead of laptops).

22. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Eh... it depends. I used my tibook in my bed or on my chair (laying in bed and using the chair to set it on so I can not worry about fall asleep on it :) ) every night for 4 years, and it was fine (never broke down, no problems AOK.. and those things got TOASTY) and now I use my current SR refurb macbook pro on the chair too and this thing is COOOOL even dvd paying and doing solidworks, it's GREAT.

Personally I am in college, but in general, I use the portability even more at home, I love sitting in different positions and on the couch ot bring it to the kitchen to look up recipes on, or to listen to music, hook it up to the tv to show a presentation or a downloaded snippet or random things for friends. It's nice to be able to break up the monotony, i find myself getting tired and achey in one place constantly, it really makes work better, and I find myself moving around more and feeling better with the laptop portability.

I recommend it. The 15inch is a nice size. I have an external monitor 22 inches for big work, like rendering or making my final presentations, but all in all most of my work is on the 15inch screen.

Personally, the laptop is a great thing. IF you can ever afford a screen (you can get a decent 22inch like mine for under 200 online... that's relative christmas money :) ) The setup with the laptop in clamshell mode doesn't take up any more space then the imac really. If you want super quality screen, you can probably get a good 20 -22 inch for 300... and it's something you could use for the next few years once you go to college and have a laptop anyway. Save up a few bucks if you ever feel yourself craving extra space, but you probably won't need it really.

My bf has HORRBILE vision (recently had to get a cornea TRANSPLANT because of the kerataconas (sp?) and still has to get th eother eye done... and he's had a 15 inch laptop (now a mbp) for years, and he uses it as his primary and only computer screen... and he's fine) Spaces will help a lot too for any intense applications.

Goodluck with your decision. Either way you'll be happy, but portability is NICE.

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's a fascinating view.

However, doesn't the fact that someone is distracted to a notable degree of excess by portable things to the extent that they have to make a conscious decision to do without them mean that they're incapable of balance and discipline in the first place?

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I agree with KTBuster that the 15.4" is a great size, and with a reasonable monitor to plug into, you're all set. I recommend 30" of course. :D

25. iBecks macrumors 6502

I agree, sell your iMac and get a big external screen, keyboard and mouse.