Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I agree, sell your iMac and get a big external screen, keyboard and mouse.

He's already said he's a high school student. You're telling him to return his top of the line 2.8GHz iMac which was $2299.00 for his configuration and then get a Macbook Pro instead which is only $2499.00 for the mid-range one with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. Oh, and then on top of that to buy a nice big external monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

Sure, if money is absolutely no object at all for the teenaged OP I would have to agree that this is an excellent solution and the best of both worlds.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've used a 12" PowerBook G4 for the last few years, and the portability of it is really fantastic. I plug it into a 20" Cinema Display when I'm at my desk, which makes the screen size a lot more useable. I'm a college student, so your milage may vary. I do like taking my computer to the coffee shop, the lab, the library, etc. I spend a lot of time with my laptop on my lap (which I know I shouldn't do, but at least it means I don't have to turn on the heater!), or with my laptop at the kitchen or coffee table. That said, the 12" size of the PowerBook is a bit small for me, and I'm looking forward to getting a 15.4" MBP after I'm done with college.

My dad used an iMac for a long time, even though it was sometimes a bit of a hassle for him to run all the way to the computer room to check his email. He got a MacBook right after they came out, and he would never go back. The portability is great for him, even though he's not using the MacBook at school like I am.

If it's an option for you, I would definitely consider the MBP. I believe that high school students may even be able to get the education discount.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
He's already said he's a high school student. You're telling him to return his top of the line 2.8GHz iMac which was $2299.00 for his configuration and then get a Macbook Pro instead which is only $2499.00 for the mid-range one with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. Oh, and then on top of that to buy a nice big external monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

Sure, if money is absolutely no object at all for the teenaged OP I would have to agree that this is an excellent solution and the best of both worlds.

He asked our opinions about portability. sheesh. And I told him to go refurb. I think a 2.2 would be plenty powerful enough for anything a highschool (or college design major) student will need and that is only 1800 refurb. Add on a monitor and keyboard mouse.. that brings it to just about 2200.. or less more like 2100, depending on monitor (with tax.. 1801 is the 1699 with tax) so :p that is all. hehe

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Regarding screen size:

If you're worried about the size for vision reasons, remember that you very well might be looking at a notebook much closer than you would be if you were using a desktop/conventional monitor. That might go out the window if you plan on doing design work, but it may be something to think about.

That said, I'll also recommend a notebook. I'm not sure if I've ever used my latest MBP on a desk.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I would get a 15" MBP and couple that with a 24" LCD. Best of both worlds... nice big screens when "docked", and reasonably good portability.

For the last 4 years I've used my 12" PB alongside a 20" widescreen Dell LCD, and it has served my purposes very well.

If you're worried about the size for vision reasons, remember that you very well might be looking at a notebook much closer than you would be if you were using a desktop/conventional monitor.

That's a very good point. Even on the High Resolution screen on my 17" MBP I find I can read everything pretty easily BUT I do have my MBP on my lap all the time so I'm pretty damn close to it.

You keep saying how you want a large screen; I assume that's because of the increased physical size rather than resolution, right? Cos I was in your very shoes 3 months ago when deciding between a 15/17" MBP or 24" iMac.

I went for the MBP because I liked the idea of having lots of windows open at once which the low resolution of the 15" just couldn't provide. It helped that the 17" had the same resolution as the 24" iMac and frankly, seeing the iMac in store now, everything just looks too big and nowhere as elegant as on the MBP.

My old PC upstairs has 3 monitors connected to it and yet I hardly ever use it anymore! I thought I would be splitting my work 50/50 between the PC and the MBP but my MBP is to me a portable desktop. Lounge, kitchen, garden, summer house, office. Try doing that with an iMac!

Another reason I chose the MBP was because it supported the 30" ACD but I STILL haven't bought it can you believe! I can do everything I need to on my MBP, especially thanks to Spaces, and be far more comfortable than having to sit in front of a desk.

If you want a TRUE replacement for the 24" iMac get the 17" MBP Hi-Res. But from what I've read you probably won't be able to afford it and it won't satisfy your desire for a physically large screen. In that case get the 15" MBP and a potential 23" ACD or 30" down the line.

For anyone else considering it, the 17" MBP is a serious contender, worthy of your consideration. It's like having my whole office on my lap wherever I go, and I'd never go back and I wouldn't be surprised if I never even get an external monitor for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.