Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackin.candy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hey everyone,

It's my first post on here and I need help with something.

Right now I am entering college as a finance student and have a MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2015 version.
It works fine just loud, hot and has its hiccups.

But with this apple discount going on right now for students I want to cash in and get a new MacBook Pro/ipad.

Some background that might help is that my high school gave us ipads so Im very used to note taking on notability and thats how I learn. Looking to study on a laptop with out being able to annotate and write stuff down is not really what I want. I know I can just use paper but I know what the ipad experience is like and I'd rather not turn back.

I'm looking at either the Ipad pro 12.9 or the MacBook pro 16 inch. (ik the MB pro may be overkill but i like the size more than the 13 in which my mom has)
I know that i'll still need and will definitely bring my current laptop to run excel and maybe some other programs as a business/regular college student.

Really I just want your opinion. Will my current 2015 MacBook still be usable in lets say four years? Is the ipad worth it? I want the ipad because I am comfortable learning off of it through notability, goodnotes and I will even be able to use it in conjunction to my current macbook. (my highschool ipad was locked so i was not able to use it with my laptop through icloud). However I know the MacBook is the generic safe purchase as it will last long enough and be able to fully utilize some programs better than the ipad (excel is my best example).

Thanks for listening to me ramble. I'd like to know what you think.

Reactions: mmomega

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
You asked for opinions, here's mine.... in your situation I think a 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard would be ideal.
Either option will have pros and cons..... just make it work for you.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Any reason you wouldn't go with a cheaper one of both and get for the same price as a 16"? Maybe get the iPad you can usually find for $250 for note taking and then a MacBook Pro 13"?

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Haha I did exactly that just a half hour ago.

That's the system of devices I have and while I'd certainly love a 12.9" iPad Pro and MacBook Pro 16", I can't justify the cost difference right now! In many ways the combination is better though because as much as it'd be nice to have a device that does it all, there are always compromises. iPads are still not great for multiple windows/apps open at once, and a Mac isn't a good photo taking / scanning and can't do hand written work/PDF notation as well as an iPad. Notability is great cross-platform and will serve you will in college! That's so great that you went to a school that did that. I wish more schools understood the pros of a software solution like Notability versus a Chromebook.

I wish I had that combination of systems back in the day! I'm an educator now (assistant principal and former music teacher) and use notability or one note depending on my other device - sometimes I have to use a PC - for my observations. I record the class as I walk around the room so my notes are synced with audio happening and I don't need to write down everything to refer to later. I can take pictures of student work as evidence and things on the board, etc. You'll find that very useful in college for taking notes in class. Assuming you're going to get an Apple Pencil, might I suggest a case like this if you haven't done so already:

Good luck at school!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.