Macbook Pro warranty - exact expiry date?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtaljard, Apr 19, 2011.

1. gtaljard macrumors newbie

I purchased a new Macbook Pro on 17 April 2010, with the standard one-year warranty. On 17 April 2011 (a Sunday) the macbook stopped charging correctly.

I took it to an 'authorized reseller' that day, who gave me the details of an authorized repair centre (not open on Sundays). I took the macbook to the repair centre on Monday 18 April, to be told that the macbook was no longer under warranty.

I live in Hong Kong and none of the authorized repair centres are open on a Sunday.

Do you think that Apple should repair the macbook under warranty, and if so what is the best way you think for me to get them to do this?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think they should be/are obligated, but you could try calling them to see if you can get it fixed under warranty. You've got nothing to lose.

3. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If you bought it on 17 April 2010, then the warranty expiry date would be 17 April 2011. You should have contacted Apple on Sunday to register your warranty claim, or even yesterday, explaining that you couldn't get local warranty service on Sunday. If you call Apple today, and explain your predicament, they might authorize a warranty repair, although they don't have to.

4. underblu macrumors regular

If you have proof you made thr warranty claim before the expiration date it should be no problem.

Unfortunately sounds like you didn't get a receipt or some sort of documentation when you went to the store. Therefore you're a bit at the mercy of Apple. But if you honestly noted the issue while still under warranty they are obligated to fix it

5. gtaljard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies.

None of the Apple Authorised repair centers listed on the Apple website are open on a Sunday in Hong Kong. Their technical support line is also only Monday-Saturday. So it would have been impossible for me to register a problem with them on the 17 April.

The only proof I have of having seen Apple on the 17th is that I bought a pair of earphones from the authorized reseller, at the same time that I took the macbook in with the problem. The shopkeeper would remember me I'm sure.

I pointed out to the manager of the repair centre that I could not have seen them on the 17th as it was a Sunday. He informed me that since the purchase date was the 17 April 2010, the expiry date would be 16 April 2011. This sounds fishy to me. I suspect they are just trying to avoid a hassle with Apple (as it would be difficult for them to override their system).

Any further suggestions how to take this forward?

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You would have to check the exact laws of your country and/or read the papers that came with your Mac very carefully to find if Apple _must_ repair it. I think they _should_ repair it.

In the UK, the warranty covers all problems that arise during the warranty time; it doesn't limit the time at which Apple would have to fix the problem (well, that is limited to six years. So if you leave a broken Mac in the drawer for five years then eventually Apple doesn't need to fix it). Problem would be to prove that the Mac was broken within the warranty period, on the other hand, Apple would have to prove that it was not broken. With a decent company that values its customers this should not be a problem.

7. gtaljard thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm glad to report Apple is one of those companies! I called the Apple technical support line, and their customer relations person was able to authorize a 'once-off' repair under warranty. Which is good news since the repair is going to involve both a motherboard and battery replacement.

It clearly pays to try and deal with Apple directly rather than via the authorized providers.

Thanks for the advice.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Next time, I'd suggest buying the AppleCare on the product. :)