Macbook Pro + Water is not good. At all.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uben564, Oct 13, 2010.

1. uben564 macrumors newbie

So I spilled water on my couple month old macbook pro, and she's pretty much dead. They (the computer store on campus) said they need to send it back to Apple and it's going to cost about $800. So I think I'm going to wait until October 20th and see if they make a new Macbook Pro.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good waterproof/resistant cases to prevent future accidents.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about just not drinking over your machine?

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

That's such a good combination though!

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

wait, water doesnt go with the MBP? but ive been giving coke to my MBP since ive got it; it looked so thirsty.

5. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how people keep doing this. Even after seeing so many threads here with it happening.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Sometimes things can happen regardless of how careful one might be. C'est la vie.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

I don't mean to be rude but try to resist drinking or eating near your laptop in the future. It's not that hard, really. Alternatively, you could use something to lift up your MB (i.e. a stand) so a spill won't get to your computer.

Now drinking and spill RIGHT over it, I don't know about that...

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I have gave my MBP a cheese burger it was so hungry :)

9. uben564 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I know it was a bad idea. I never do it, and the one time I did it spilt. You guys don't need to harp on it so much, I was just trying to find a product to help prevent it again.

10. Piplodocus macrumors regular

I heard some people with heat issues tried to cook an egg on theirs!

Give the Guy/Gal a break. I'm sure they're annoyed enough without being told they're an idiot. I'm stupidly careful with my brand new MBP, bought a nice Swissgear Backback to protect it etc, never balance it anywhere close to the edge of things, keep drinks miles away, and still got it out at work, thumped it into the edge of the table and put a ding in the Aluminium next to the ethernet port! :( Accidents happen...

11. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

12. andrew086 macrumors regular

What? Water is bad for laptops? Who would have guessed....

13. stphnman20 macrumors regular

14. scrace89 macrumors member

15. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Yea, buy a Panasonic toughbook next time around. If you spill water on non-ruggedized electronic devices... components will fail! There is no way around this. You could add a moshi keyboard protector but water could still sneak in the speaker grills or trackpad.

16. deeesea macrumors 6502

Get one of those keyboard covers. and theres no case or sleeve that will protect it from water when you're drinking over your laptop and using it. if it's in your backpack, and you spill water on it, that's a diferent story, but if you're typing a lab report and drinking a can of energy drink, and you spill it, having a sleeve or a case won't do much to save you. Keyboard cover perhaps. I spilled milk all over my laptop in 1st year (it was strawberry milk too! dang! such a waste of good milk :mad:) and my keyboard cover protected it fine.

I usually don't knock over all my drinks (unless I'm drunk, but I usually don't bring my laptop to houseparties :p).

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I spilled some soda in my cinema display.
    -don't even think about asking for pics-
    It still works well. I was bummed that I might not be able to use it but its around 5-6 years old so it'll probably die anyway.

Now I keep beverages on the counter and get up to take a drink.

18. Macfreak456 macrumors newbie

Macfreak456

Sorry about that happening,Get one of these cover things apple has for your keybord. I have one on my Macbook. Only thing I do not like about the cover is that when you play like,music or tv shows or any kind of sound, it's hard to hear with it on. I useually take it off when I'm watching movies.

19. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

OUCH. I guess that's not covered under the 1 yr warranty or Apple Care?

20. uben564 thread starter macrumors newbie

21. k43l macrumors member

happened to me twice and my macbook still works...

I have the 13" unibody macbook with the replaceable battery. I just took out the battery and let it dry off for a few hours... everything's fine.

22. mark28 macrumors 68000

Not for all laptops, such as Lenovo which have a build in water drainage system for accidents like this.

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

Get some insurance against water damage.

24. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

Try Jack Daniel next time...:D