MacBook Pro with Anti-Glare Film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elgaez, Oct 20, 2008.

1. elgaez macrumors newbie

I was disappointed that there was no matte option for the new MBPs but I still decided to buy one and see how well an anti-glare film would work. There's a significant difference and no more looking at my own reflection! Installation was simple. It's just like those invisible screens. Way easier though since it's just a flat screen and don't have to sit there trying to install it perfectly around round edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought one from http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=MX15WNG. They have two options, standard and thin. I asked if there's any viewing differences and they said there isn't so I went with the thin one. It arrived quickly too. Ordered on the 15th, shipped out next day, and arrived the 18th.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. mgheiti macrumors newbie

Looks great man. Quick question for you. When typing in the horizontal and vertical dimensions, did you just use the ones from the site. 13.07 x 8.19, or are the new MBP's a little different? My MBP is about to ship and I would like to have the shield when it gets here. Thanks for all the help.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Stupid Websense is blocking my photos at work...:rolleyes:

This is a great idea, can't wait to see how it looks. Do you think they will make a 24" one? :D

5. elgaez thread starter macrumors newbie

i bought the one from the link i posted, for 15.4" laptops, and it fits and looks fine to me. i didn't fill anything in the custom fit section, bought it as is.

They make all sorts of sizes, even for tv's. If there's not a 24" then you can just make a custom order.

6. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Wow, definitely going to look into it.
    Wonder if they'll offer [precision] pre-cut sheets to fill entire glass area on MB/MBP.
    That way no glare at all, just hope to align it right.

BTW anybody has experience with iSight - does it hurt it a lot (if you cover it with the film)?

Seems like we have to hack our own way, when Apple is too glossy again :cool:
    I mean I can whine of course, and I've signed "Bring FireWire Back" petition, but sometimes we just have to do something on our own part?

So, I'm really hoping for more companies sprang up for this niche.
    Laser cut films which I can realign multiple times (and wash it in between) - with no adhesive at all - would be great to apply it accurately at last.

7. keyoh macrumors newbie

Thank you for posting some pictures with anit-glare film. I've been waiting for someone like this to finally pop up. Are there are any side effects like less brightness or is everything pretty acceptable?

I emailed http://www.powersupportusa.com and they say they are making custom fitted anti-glare film covers for the new macbook pros, but they won't be available for another month. They are in production right now.

8. Ramsav24 macrumors member

Woo-Hoo!! Thanks. I've been agonizing if I should get the new MBP or the old one for the matte screen, but you've answered the one question I had. New MBP, here I come..thanks again :D

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

very nice option. one that i would have to see in person though before i would buy it.

one more reason to love my SR MBP :D

10. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Very nice! We need more MacRumors member like you: a little less conversation (read : complaining) a little more action.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

So it fits the whole screen and outer part or just screen?

Well done for getting off your ass and doing something about it :)

13. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

From glare on borders you can tell that it's only lit area which is covered.
    And if you follow the OP link - it says 15.4", which is exactly the screen size, not the glass size.

So we need about 16.5" sized film, presumably with cutout for iSight & rounded corners to fit entire glass of MBP.

Hope same will be produced for MB, as I'm still not decided which one to get :confused::p

14. openmoko macrumors newbie

To be honest, I removed mine after I applied it. Sure the matte screen was easy on the eyes and whatnot, but the intended GLASS display design was completely robbed and it didn't look as good and plus, screen definitely looked dull after application of matte layer. Meh cheap lesson for me to never use these things I guess, to each their own....

15. ioannis macrumors newbie

refraction?

the photos show lots of blur, which might be due to the camera.

However, considering the new screens have this extra glass on top of them, adhering a film on top of that glass will end up with a gap between the film and the actual display. That would normally increase blurriness due to refraction compared to having the film in direct contact to the display.

elgaez, can you tell us if the (extra) blur is noticeable. As I said, I can't really tell from the photos.

thanks

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Matte screens look dull compared to gloss.

17. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

looks good but your pics don't appear particularly representative..
    for one, the brightness level on the first screen is significantly lower than the second and the first screen is obviously in direct light from what i imagine is the camera flash which is painfully obvious from the highlight difference on the MBP logo and keys.

Still, looks like a marked improvement and definitely an option for those of us who work by open windows :D

18. ipponrg macrumors member

From what I understand, it's a matted screen under the glass. The glass above it makes it glossy.

Now after that you add another matted layer to try and negate everything?

To the OP...... I dont know if you're reducing visibilty now? You're essentially taking 2 filters and refracting the light from how it's originally intended. To me, that sounds like reduced visibility.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm interested in the OP's response as well. I'm planning on buying a new MBP and the glossy doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe if this solution works everyone will stop bitching about the glossy screens.

20. 7even macrumors 6502a

I think the screen underneath is actually at least semi-glossy. Sometimes you can notice a double reflection, and there's a sort of diagonal pattern on the LCD panel's reflection.

21. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

New Anti-Glare Films from Photodon.com Coming Soon

Hi all. I just wanted to post an e-mail that I sent to customer service at photodon.com along with their response. In summary, new anti-glare films tailored to the late 2008 MBs and MBPs are coming in the next week or two.
    [This e-mail has been edited for grammar, spelling and personal information.]

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:35 PM
    To: sales@photodon.com
    Subject: AG Film for New MBPs

Have you considered selling an antiglare film for the new Apple MacBooks and
    MacBook Pros? I ask only because the screen is completely flush with the
    bezel and so while the 15.4" wide film will cover the lit part of the
    display, it does not cover the entire surface. I suppose I could custom
    order the size but it might be fairly lucrative to have a size Apple
    customers could order without filling out a custom order since this is the
    design for Apple for the foreseeable future and the need for an AG film has
    many looking (including many references to your website in forums) for it.

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

Thank you for your email!

We are working at getting the dimensions for the both of the new Macbook Pros today. We should have the sizes listed sometime in the next week or two.

We thank you again for your interest in our products. We will place you on our waiting list for this film.

Thank You &Take Care!
    Lisa Marie
    ---------------------------
    Toll Free: 1-(877)-279-5721
    847-377-1186 - Tele
    775-535-1646 - Fax
    www.photodon.com - web page
    lisamarie@photodon.com - email
    -----------------------------

22. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Both of the new Macbook Pros?? Does she mean like the 13" and the 15" models?

Just as most of us realized... there really is one line of laptops now, except they are Macbooks, not Macbook Pros.

23. keyoh macrumors newbie

So I just put on the anti-glare film from photodon and it sure does a good job at reducing the glare. The only problem is the screen is grainy, especially with white backgrounds. Not sure if that trade off is worth it or not yet.

24. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

So I assume that text on a white background would look a little blurred? Can you post any pics to demonstrate the graininess?

25. tonie macrumors 6502

I don't know how you guys think it looks great from those pictures but putting anything on the monitor will degrade the colour on the LCD.