MacBook Pro with Liquid Metal Case..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Titanium81, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

MacBook Pro refreshed with Liquid Metal Case could be released as early as Tuesday, September 27, 2011.

Just 67 days away according to MacRumors Buyers Guide.

I REALLY do hope that they are right.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah me too, that would be great. :D

3. ATaleOfFiction macrumors member

Noooo! I've just got my new MBP this week. I hope the rumors are wrong!

4. nickjf20 macrumors member

There are no rumours.

As apple has changed to a yearly cycle it seems recently for computers, there will be no refresh 'till next year.

Enjoy the quad cores.

5. Liquinn Suspended

6. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

Because that article says anything about a new case, let alone a change of materials...

Rather than making up all kinds of baseless guesses, I enjoy my current laptop. Everyone thinking there's going to be an update in Q3/4 or that the next update is going to be revolutionary like unibody was is setting themselves up for a major letdown.

8. Titanium81, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

OK...OK... So I was wrong.... what I meant was, the new MBP's are going to be made out of 24K Gold!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

Why do people hate speculations and rumors on a rumor site I will never understand....

Anyway, about liquid metal, if we do have a laptop made of the stuff will it be more dent resistant than the current mbp?

I swear, a gentle wind could dent a mbp it's so soft :/

10. VeganHipster macrumors regular

Where did this rumor even come from? Are there any sources reporting on using liquid metal? I have seen rumors for case redesigns, but none of them say liquid metal.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Rumors are one thing, but what's the point of a rumor that is nothing more than what someone thinks would be cool? With nothing to back said "rumor."

12. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

New case design other than aluminum = fingerprint magnet.

Some Exec at Apple alluded to this. They had some prototypes made and the idea didn't last long. Don't ask me for the source... just something I remember reading in my aimless wanderings.

Besides... given the sales rate of the current unibodies it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize people like the MBP exteriors. That's what's kind of nice too. You can have a really old MBP and it still pretty much resembles a new one.

13. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I hate to bump this thread but what is liquid metal anyway? I looked it up on google but didn't really figure anything out. Like what's different about it?

14. Chiuy macrumors 6502

isn't liquid metal like... a black macbook pro?

15. mac00l macrumors 6502

In simple words, is a metal which is handled as easy as plastic, but as hard and resistant as titanium. And which Apple just happens to own.

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

That doesn't even look like 24K, it looks like cheap gold spray paint.

17. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

What do you mean own? Like Apple owns the patent for it?

18. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

19. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

20. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Oh, I see! Someone photoshopped a picture of a 2008 aluminum unibody Macbook to make it looked darker and said that this is how the so-called "liquidmetal" looks like. Seriously, let's stop this senseless rumor mongering (or rather, perhaps, stop falling for senseless rumor mongering).

Allow me to repeat myself:

21. stevemiller macrumors 68000

i've used the unibody design since 2008 and not run up against any structural/aesthetic problems. it's well travelled, but looks essentially identical to the day i bought it. now if apple decides to change up the material to something even more rugged, more power to them! but its hardly something i'd consider waiting around on rumours for.

unless of course, a shade darker and the desire to tell everyone you meet that your laptop is "liquid metal" is important to you. which i suspect for some people is actually at the top of their list. :roll eyes:

enjoy your laptop when/if it comes guys, i'll be all over rev. b ;)

22. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There are always rumors...there are even sites dedicated to rumors.

23. mac00l macrumors 6502

I mean Apple is the owner of the company (Liquidmetal Technologies) which holds the patents.

24. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You do realise that the estimated date is purely based on when previous updates have been released? If you look back over the last few years, it should give a better indication of the refresh cycle for the Macbook Pro. Based on the last two refreshes, we are no better than half way through a product cycle. I really don't see a refresh before Q2 2012, when the Ivy Bridge processors are due.

25. hawk1410, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Apple does not own Liquid Metal, Liquid Metal was developed at CalTech and is now marketed by a firm organized by the research team that developed it. The firm has licensed liquid metal to Apple, but Apple does not own liquid metal. Many other compaines have liquid metal products, most notably Vertu(on their phones) and Sandisk on some of their mp3 players and flash drives.
    Also Liquid Metal is too expensive so for Apple to use fully liquid metal casing for the MBPs would mean even more expensive MBPs, It may be possible that Apple uses liquid metal for some internals or use liquid metal to reinforce the Aluminum shell, but IMO Apple will probably use liquid metal for Iphones and iPods, i dont think it is meant for Macs, but i could be wrong.
    And anyway the only Liquid Metal product that Apple has made until now is the Sim Ejecting tool for the iPhone 3gs.