Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twa440

Suspended
Aug 2, 2016
U sound mad must be to broke and can't afford it
He's not broke, he's not buying one.
[doublepost=1479259526][/doublepost]"Apple has been abandoning the professional market and for engineers and designers, the Z2 Mini is superior to the Mac Mini, said Jeff Wood, vice president of HP’s workstation business, during a briefing.

The idea that Apple is stepping away from the professional market was highlighted during the recent release of the MacBook Pro, which has innovative features like the Touch Bar. But it attracted criticism for using old Intel Skylake chips, and was widely considered more of a consumer than a business PC.

Apple also hasn’t upgraded its Mac Pro desktop since 2013, and workstations with Windows are filling that void. The new Windows workstations have superior processors, GPUs, memory and SSD storage.

The Z2 Mini is targeted at engineers and architects using applications like Autodesk or Solidworks. However, it isn’t meant for use with VR headsets like Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, an HP spokesperson said. Nvidia’s Quadro M620 GPU isn’t designed for VR, and headsets typically need full-powered desktops like the Z840 with cutting-edge GPUs."

Even InfoWorld agrees that Apple has abandoned the pro market.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
He's not broke, he's not buying one.
[doublepost=1479259526][/doublepost]"Apple has been abandoning the professional market and for engineers and designers, the Z2 Mini is superior to the Mac Mini, said Jeff Wood, vice president of HP’s workstation business, during a briefing.

The idea that Apple is stepping away from the professional market was highlighted during the recent release of the MacBook Pro, which has innovative features like the Touch Bar. But it attracted criticism for using old Intel Skylake chips, and was widely considered more of a consumer than a business PC.

Apple also hasn’t upgraded its Mac Pro desktop since 2013, and workstations with Windows are filling that void. The new Windows workstations have superior processors, GPUs, memory and SSD storage.

The Z2 Mini is targeted at engineers and architects using applications like Autodesk or Solidworks. However, it isn’t meant for use with VR headsets like Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, an HP spokesperson said. Nvidia’s Quadro M620 GPU isn’t designed for VR, and headsets typically need full-powered desktops like the Z840 with cutting-edge GPUs."

Even InfoWorld agrees that Apple has abandoned the pro market.

The non skylake chip of the right wattage was not available was it? So, wth are they even talking about.

Most of the time lost by an engineer using their laptop is not in processing, so the whole thing is a non sequitur.

Sounds essentially like a PR blurb from the competition.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone "asking", is just throlling, like most of the people constantly playing the tiny violin around here.

You know what your buying, and Apple's stuff has always been at the high end, in fact in the past
it has been proportionally much more expensive than now.
If someone can't afford the $200-300 extra, that person is certainly not buying this thing for work
that needs a bit of processing power or the highest quality build or attention to details,
and should probably buy something else.

I don't think that's a reasonable argument.

The idea that actual customers (by which I mean existing mac users looking to buy a new MBP) might need to check the new machines would work in a similar fashion to their old machines doesn't seem that fanciful to me.

It isn't really just about the money. It's also about carrying adapters to places just in case you might need them, or thinking you don't but then finding you did... it's added hassle and friction for the user.

It's being given a USB flash drive at work and not being to access it immediately. Or needing to hook up a projector but forgetting the HDMI adapter.

Are those impossible scenarios that only a troll would suggest to waste an Apple Store staff member's time? Is that what you're saying?

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Are all the people complaining about the dongles, still wishing they had 5.25" floppy disks, parallel ports, television tubes, etc? Please move on. I love that the new MBP has 4 modern connectors. In a year, all peripheral devices will be USB C.

That said, I hate that Apple is clearly price gouging since computers are becoming niche products.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
In store pickup is not available for the new MacBook Pros, so customers hoping to skip the 4 to 5 week wait for a Touch Bar machine will need to call or visit an Apple retail store in person to check stock levels.

Only true for standard models. BTO MacBook Pro's can be purchased with in-store pickup.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Are all the people complaining about the dongles, still wishing they had 5.25" floppy disks, parallel ports, television tubes, etc? Please move on.

Silly and arrogant. USB-C is relativley new on the scene. Even the iPhone 7 doesn't come with a USB-C cable. USB-A, HDMI are not in the tech cemetery just yet like all those other things you listed. Dongles ARE a burden and extra expense to using this MBP as a power user would use any laptop. Every pro review has touched on that and from usually very friend Apple reviewers like Mossberg and Joanna Stern. The only people saying dongles are no big deal are the most extreme Apple sycophants would would lust after Apple Play-Doh if they announced it.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I checked them out at Best Buy today, they had it on display.
58rIFE9Ftt5rRAcjXLo_yZJqZd2nDuqaoM9AM-lBAlkW9DC6zoM-5q3boPXsbKDhdQkYOOVzdGqoItr-0BuD6RotVZKkm1VQJjo19MeL7aoVLox2XzMDlh3IHaVDkpwEDwaUjM9svyp3Olzbl27h9uHO9fjAzKzU3h27fEdfEw39YtskVZmnVMFnjFgA-a3Bbihq36tCsKnjDk2VYa_ABJ9oXb1EZSni1Y4GEsnQhRLPcmmB8VD3vONVO8wc5SzcGqLAOPr558gaFaSUWwx02wbiWjdYfnrEI0O53uPJsdaFYHVHbufkyL2Q4HLhKvRxq0-pIr-5jtUkMBrzBROeJK0lfUx9sABte84JU3Xy2ksXcSdh0_OFugSYreSwHbidMSK7E0ROt9Cr8txf_avsIdtMTL_3dS_qKvvaZHWD1EpV2OuCBBuyoNP9Bsz4BIP8A8lgRHv6PXS_C3feau29xAg9OwF03brROb9yqZW-jxrMJHOe6jdyaNfkoMRUtHh5SnaokpZz66KaCSkD6UVf1pvnLYDB3n8inmulR7OWxLu01Kp7CrxQycNE4Fw25mN9H1Eq-YnpFe2HGD9Mc4YNmWcR9zc_vdxuqtsAXLQIypINNmJmTA=w2267-h1700-no

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Saw one today in person. Keyboard has horrible travel, touch bar is gimmicky... looking at it is a sober reminder of all the other obvious flaws (lack of ports, dongles required, no mag-safe, etc. etc.) plus the huge price sticker. I'll sit this round out, it will be interesting to see the surface pro 5 early next year.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I'm sure you're right. Let me predict some of those answers...

'Buy the adapter'
'Buy the other adapter'
'Buy the other other adapter'
'Let me just check for you... yes, you can buy the adapter'
'No, that requires an adapter'
'No, the adapters cost more on top'
'Yeah, sorry, but at least you can buy the adapters for now!'

Those answers might satisfy some customers, but it might not really work for some others.
Which why I avoid the Apple Store in person because they live in their own bubble where Apple does no wrong.

Reactions: needfx

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I won't be buying one. I'll be buying the previous generation. Hopefully Apple will come to their senses and make a REAL MacBook Pro. Not some prosumer version.

No more likely than to make a real MacPro again -- who even knows if they'll update the current one. That era is past unfortunately. We are looking at the future of Mac here like it or not. And I wouldn't even call this MBP a "prosumer" version. It's outright mainstream consumer. It's why emojis got such a big mention during the event demo.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
My 2013 RMacBook Pro runs like lightning. Everything about it is in top shape.

I've checked the benchmarks on the 2014, 2015, 2016 MacBook pros and noted slight increases, but I could not imagine or care to have mine run any faster than it does. If they could have kept exactly what they had while increasing the quality of the screen, implementing new chip/battery technologies, and maybe doubled the standard SSD/RAM (as prices have decreased for those items), I would have been first in line. This is a company that has to continue growing profits in order to please the shareholders, and the new RMBP will do that splendidly. They're not adding anything of value and they're going to be selling many of them for $1799+.

I plan to keep this 2013 RMBP under AppleCare+ and AMEX warranty till 2018.... and I've ordered a Windows based ASUS Nvidia 1070GTX machine. I have this MacBook for my photos, Facebook, media storage, and content browsing. The ASUS I can use for stuff like Civilization 6, Farming Simulator, Skyrim, Warcraft, etc. Over time, I'll likely convert to Windows.

kjvm

xboarder56

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Southcenter mall in tukwila, WA has a few of various sizes in the store. Went to see the iPhone 7 and asked about them.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
I'm sure a large percentage of customers will have researched it beforehand and know what they're buying into if they decide to get one of these, but still...
I actually think the opposite is true - Apple's new customer base is people whose eyes glaze over when you start talking GHz, GB, ports, bandwidth, resolution, etc. Also, for most of them it doesn't matter as they're using this for web/email, etc. They won't realize what the hell they've gotten themselves into until they get home and realize they can't just plug their current tech in like they used to.

Reactions: AZ63

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

I've checked the benchmarks on the 2014, 2015, 2016 MacBook pros and noted slight increases, but I could not imagine or care to have mine run any faster than it does. If they could have kept exactly what they had while increasing the quality of the screen, implementing new chip/battery technologies, and maybe doubled the standard SSD/RAM (as prices have decreased for those items), I would have been first in line. This is a company that has to continue growing profits in order to please the shareholders, and the new RMBP will do that splendidly. They're not adding anything of value and they're going to be selling many of them for $1799+.

I plan to keep this 2013 RMBP under AppleCare+ and AMEX warranty till 2018.... and I've ordered a Windows based ASUS Nvidia 1070GTX machine. I have this MacBook for my photos, Facebook, media storage, and content browsing. The ASUS I can use for stuff like Civilization 6, Farming Simulator, Skyrim, Warcraft, etc. Over time, I'll likely convert to Windows.

kjvm

Benchmarks like Geekbench do not provide any information as to how a product will perform in the real world when all of its components are working together (GPU, CPU, SSD, memory, operating system). If you shop based solely on specs and benchmarks you're likely to end up with a turd.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Why don't they fill Pre Orders first?
Otherwise what is the point of the pre orders when you can walk into a store and buy them.

Does anyone question why it take Apple so long to have the computer ready for display and shipment? When the retina MBP first came out, it started shipping on the day of the announcement. What have TC done to Apple with all the bling and tight grip operation structure....

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple must've anticipated the backlash regarding the USB-C ports (aka "dongle syndrome"), and soldered SSD, yet they proceeded to enter the market with this model anyway. I half wished that they had a transition plan in place to assist people with the adjustment. Think about an "adapter bar" that snaps magnetically to the side of the laptop and provides the missing ports. Those that need it can get it at a reasonable price, while those that don't need it can happily carry on without. At least that would show that Apple cares about its user during this transition. To do nothing basically says "suck it up, buttercup!" and is a slap in the face. There will be third-party solutions, but those don't have the Apple signature, and many people want that.

Reactions: AZ63

Rookbird

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
No more likely than to make a real MacPro again -- who even knows if they'll update the current one. That era is past unfortunately. We are looking at the future of Mac here like it or not. And I wouldn't even call this MBP a "prosumer" version. It's outright mainstream consumer. It's why emojis got such a big mention during the event demo.
Yea that's why I think Apple is slowly going to die away. They have forgotten who their real customer base is. Seems to me that they are heading in the same direction they did when they fired Steve Jobs back in the day. They are going to need a smart CEO that really knows what's going on and are creative enough to drive Apple back into true innovation while not losing their customers.

Reactions: HappyMacGuy

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You're not describing yourself as a productivity person, but rather a consumption person. These MacBook "Pro" machines are targeting productivity tasks based on the future (where technology is going). Anybody can get along with any computer so long as the software being used doesn't matter. For me, I have a very sophisticated setup of web server, database servers, code editors, browsers, FTP apps and Terminal. Everything works so elegantly together as I switch from one app to the next, fully keyboard-based. The rest of my workmates run Windows and have a far less efficient setup, and they frequently have problems that requiring restarting apps or the entire computer. Could an *identical* setup be achieved on Windows? No. But can one get close? Yes, but at the end of the day, you'd have paid the same or more as a Mac setup, and you'd still be less efficient due to the apps not working together as well.
[doublepost=1479266657][/doublepost]
Yea that's why I think Apple is slowly going to die away. They have forgotten who their real customer base is. Seems to me that they are heading in the same direction they did when they fired Steve Jobs back in the day. They are going to need a smart CEO that really knows what's going on and are creative enough to drive Apple back into true innovation while not losing their customers.

I only half agree with this. I don't think they've forgotten, but I think they have become addicted to saying "No" just a bit too much. They've gone too far to the conservative side, cutting features and not releasing stuff until it absolutely passes a certain set of standards. Unfortunately, they are also failing on that front. I do think that Tim Cook is not as "in touch" with the pulse of Apple's customers as he needs to be. He's driving Apple in two areas — mass adoption by consumers on the iOS side of things, and mass adoption of computers by corporations (IBM, etc.). A focus on the needs of the individual professional seems to be pushed aside.

Last edited:
Reactions: MareLuce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.