MacBook Pro with touch bar: something loose inside tilting left and right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranner22, Nov 28, 2016.

1. ranner22 macrumors newbie

My new 15' MBP w/ tb is making a small noise if I tilt it left and right. Seems like there's something loose inside. Aside from the noise, everything works well with the laptop.

what I am experiencing is very similar to this:

Anyone experiences a similar thing? Do you hear/feel anything loose if you tilt your MBP?

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

3. ranner22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks myscrnnm! Seems like it is very common. although "this guy" only tested the 13 inch models, my guess is that all 15 inch model has this problem too...

But yeah, it is very difficult to justify having a $3000 laptop with something sliding back and forth inside...

4. jft94 macrumors regular

My 15" does not.

5. ranner22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, interesting. Is yours a base model or a customized one?

6. fate0311 macrumors 6502

7. jft94 macrumors regular

Base.

8. cforster macrumors 6502

Long story, but I ended up with two 15" 2016 Macbook Pro's with Touchbar. I came across a thread about this and tested them both. One does this and the other does not.

I'm keeping the one that doesn't do it. So, it's probably going to be hit and miss.

I'd point out that both work fine. Just makes me feel more comfortable.

9. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

I went into the Apple Store and tried this on both the new 13" and 15" models... they all have it. All in all, I've tested personally on over 10 machines and they all exhibit this noise/feeling of the light guide sliding around inside the display. At this point, I'm fairly certain anyone claiming they don't have it is simply in denial - one Apple employee tried it and was like "nah, there's nothing" but then his peers tried it and exclaimed "oh my god, that's definitely moving around!!" but he still wouldn't admit there was something wrong with the machine... so either they're in denial or the light guide adhesive tape is yet to come unglued (it can take a few days/weeks depending on environmental settings and heat the display reaches)

Now to be clear, this issue is also apparent on the 12" MacBook *and* the 2015 rMBP, however it is much quieter on the latter and you can't "feel" the thing sliding around inside, which is what was unnerving for me. I couldn't even tilt my 2016 13" non-TB without feeling the physical shift of weight inside the display. My guess is that it's more apparent as the display build is thinner/lighter.

I've since purchased a 2015 rMBP with maxed out specs, on sale from BHPhotoVideo so got a great deal. :)

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

My TB 13" Mac does not have the problem.

11. ranner22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ummjackson, thanks for the reply! I thought you were going to get a windows machine according to your post before. This is my first Mac and although I am satisfied with it in general, as you mentioned I also notice fairly noticeable overheating (even comparing with my 6-year-old Lenovo) and this annoying noise indicating some manufacturing inconsistency. Not being able to change the ssd also worries me and the 16gb ram ... but I do like the way it looks and how light it is (ugh... maybe these are the only good things I can say about this machine :()
    I am little bit disapointed with this MBP... now that I have it for more than a week and I am actually debating whehter to go back to Lenovo since they have very good deals online today and I can get top specs with a lot less money... very torn...

12. jft94 macrumors regular

I'm glad you at least said the word "fairly" because I'm absolutely positive my machine does not have this noise. You would have seemed very arrogant.

13. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Or maybe they just don't have it with theirs.

14. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Dudeeee it is force touch mechanism making this noise!
    Can you here clacking when you shake it vertically?

BTW: why do you shake your laptop :p it is quite uncomfortable to use this way LOL

15. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

I tried out the XPS 13 for a bit but it had a bad thermal profile, the fans would spin up all the time. So I ended up landing on the 2015 rMBP which is a great device, maintains all the ports you need and doesn't have any of the overheating/battery issues that are starting to pop up with the 2016 generation. Going to wait until they refine the new build a couple years before upgrading.

I'd recommend you get a return if you're within the return period and consider the 2015 model with maxed out specs. I got a great deal over at bhphotovideo.com
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    If with some vigorous shaking you aren't feeling it, then I believe it's only a matter of time/use. Let me know if it does end up happening.

It's not the force touch mechanism, that hardware is solid state. The Genius Bar reps confirmed with me that it *is* the display and that this is "normal" behavior.

I wasn't shaking my laptop in regular use, but you can feel the slide and "thud" when you simply tilt the machine even slightly on your lap - which is normal use for me.

16. ranner22 thread starter macrumors newbie

No noise if tilted vertically (front and back) I also just tried tilting it side ways when holding the touch pad, it still makes the same noise. the noise doesn't seem to come from the touch pad

good question about why shaking it. I found out about the noise when I was sliding it into my backpack which involves flip it sideways. shaking the laptop is definitely not in my workflow haha

17. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

From three of my MacBooks two exhibit this noise and both have force touch - one with old touchpad is not.

18. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

19. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

I returned it and moved to a max-specced 2015 rMBP because of multiple issues with the 2016 non-TB:
    • Overheating which can be felt on keyboard + base
    • Poor battery life vs. previous generations (I could get 6-7 hrs max, no background indexing was happening)
    • The keyboard (while better) is too shallow + noisy
    • The color balance definitely feels more "yellowish" than previous generations
    • Overall build quality just doesn't feel up to par with previous generations (that new logo is a tacky fingerprint magnet, sharp edges underneath etc.)
    ...the random piece of plastic sliding around inside was just the final straw for me.

I purchased and returned a Dell XPS 13 for similar reasons (mostly bad thermals, also a glitchy touchpad) so this isn't just me being picky about Apple devices. It's me rightfully critiquing a >$2k piece of equipment I expect to use daily for 3+ years.

20. David58117 macrumors 65816

This is the force touch.

This "issue" has been talked about ever since it was first released, with thread after thread about it. It's been settled that it is the force touch.

They all do this, if they're "shaken" appropriately. All of the force touch MacBooks I've owned do it, my 13" non-TB does it, my wifes 12" rMB does it, my 2015 15" rMBP does it, they all do.

Look at the wiki:

Unlike typical motors, the linear actuator does not move in circular formations, but rather in straight horizontal lines back and forth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Touch

21. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

I'm really sorry, but I have to disagree. I have confirmation from the Genius Bar that this is happening inside the display - also, if you "pinch" the display from the front and back while moving the laptop left-to-right the noise/movement disappears completely. So it's definitely the display.

22. altaic, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

altaic macrumors member

My 15" tbMBP has got it too. The sound is definitely coming from the display. Hmm... I'm 99% sure it didn't rattle at all when I first saw a post with complaints of this a few days ago (I recall shaking it a bit and thinking that people must have super-hearing or something to perceive something I couldn't). It's easily noticeable and quite loud now just by tilting side to side; my girlfriend can hear it easily 6 feet away. Perhaps something comes loose after getting bounced around a bit. Not very confidence inspiring.

23. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

There's a small, single piece of adhesive tape (as mentioned here) which comes unstuck as the display is used more - from both the heat of being on + general usage like sliding it into your bag or picking it up. So a couple of days / weeks into using the machine you'll start to notice this.

Mine was super faint and barely audible at first, but then it continues to get worse until the adhesive comes entirely unstuck and then it's freely sliding with even a slight tilt of the machine.

Like I've said, this isn't a new problem - it's in the rMBP 2015 as well, but with the 2016 MBP it's extremely loud as you've noticed.

24. altaic macrumors member

Thanks for the link; that seems like a plausible explanation. Unfortunately, that also means that I'd have to exchange my otherwise problem-free tbMBP with one that may just redevelop the rattle. I suppose I'll see if they've fixed it in early Jan and decide what to do then.

25. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

Oh yeah, don't return/exchange if you're intending on just getting an identical replacement - the issue will follow you across machines. I had some overheating + battery life issues with my nonTB so this pushed me over the edge back to a rMBP 2015 instead. All the best with your new machine!