MacBook Pro wont AUTOsleep.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, May 18, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

hi folks,

i have searched the forum for macbook pro sleep problems and there are many threads. But i didnt find anything related to MBP not sleeping after some time of inactivity. In the energy saver pref pane, you set the time you want the mac to sleep if inactive. No matter how many minutes i put that number, the MBP wont sleep.

It sleeps when i go to apple/sleep. Or option+command+eject or close the lid but it wont autosleep.

EDIT: I already did the SMC thing and repaired permissions with no luck.
    This happened after replacing the hard drive with a WD scorpio. But i dont thing it is hardware problem as software controls the autosleep action.

EDIT: i am running osx 10.5.2

EDIT: The problem was caused by a software called You Control 1.6.1 and uninstalling the software resolves the problem.

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

In the System Preferences under Energy Star I have both the slider set to 30 minutes. I also have the box checked - Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible. That seems to work for me.

3. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

That is normal

however, this isnt the case with me. It wont sleep.

doesnt anyone know any solution for the problem?

4. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

seems like i am the only one having this problem.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Mine will do the same occasionally, but it depends on what programs I have open or what is attached. I saw a thread on the apple.com forums about it and it seems to be a software issue. I hope 10.5.3 will fix it.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This isn't a software issue, at least not a new one. It's quite a common problem occurring over a wide variety of Mac hardware and versions of OSX. I've never seen an explanation of a cause, or a suggestion for a solution which works.

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

8. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your replies. To add to the mystery. I booted from an external drive (10.5.2) and it slept very well.

Before i installed the hard drive, it slept well too.

9. geeserver macrumors newbie

geeserver

Make sure you don't have anything connected to usb or a card in your express 34 slot. This will cause your MBP not to sleep.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

mine started acting up after I replaced the hardrive too. Now, instead of auto sleeping it becomes completly unresponsive ( can't even force it into sleep by closing the screen) I usually have to do a hard reboot. I'm starting to think it might be hardware related. It still does this even after reinstalling leopard.

11. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Mine doesn't autosleep either. I have no programs running, and in system prefs, the energy saver for sleep is set to 10minutes. The only thing i did, was hack the safesleep feature, so it goes to sleep fast. Might that be the problem?

12. Oroak macrumors newbie

While I don't have a MBP, I have this exact same problem with my Intel iMac (first generation). I have it set so screen saver kicks in at 3 min, screen turns off at 5, and sleep starts at 10. My iMac will get to the point where it puts the display to sleep but something always wakes it up from that.

I have USB devices plugged in, but they can't expect me to unplug the mouse every time I'm done with the computer. But it used to sleep fine with tons of USB things plugged in.

Do you happen to have HP printer software installed? I just got an HP scanner/printer and installed that awful software. Somehow it starts 2 processes up at launch and I have a hunch they might be a problem.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are you saying that the screen comes back on? I've never seen this symptom. On our insomniac iMac, the screen sleeps but the computer does not.

14. bart rijksen macrumors regular

i have an hp printer installed. But it also occured before i installed the printer.

15. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. It won't autosleep and the hard drive spins down after inactivity even though the preference is set not to. I tired resetting the SMC and PRAM but that didn't work?
    Would a clean install of the OS fix it?

16. Jas123 macrumors member

I did an arch and install and that did not fix a thing. Something else that i tired was creating a new user; but that also did not fix a thing.

Other things i've done:
    SMC & PRAM reset
    Repairing permissions using Disk utility and Onyx
    Ran Extended Hardware test
    Spent about 4 hours on the phone with apple maybe longer.

17. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

in my case, it can be the internal hard drive or some software.

if we say that the internal hard drive is the problem, people with the same drive got it to sleep normally.

In addition, when booting from the external drive, the internal drive is not the boot drive, maybe that helps it sleep.

the second option is software, and i am fedup with this probelm. I will clone my drive to an external hard drive and then do erase and install on the internal drive and install software one by one to see what making it behave so.

i will post when finished.

18. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

First test, i cloned my internal hard drive to an external drive. (namely a partition on the same external hard desk i already booted from and the MBP slept with).

However this time it does not autosleep. So it is the software. i will try deleting some sfotware and see if it works.

19. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is the software called You Control 1.6.1
    THis is a great software and i cant live without it. It gives you customised menues that let you access customised file system locations and different sort of things. I highly recommend it.

However, it turns out it is the problem and once uninstalled my MBP autosleeps.

to figure it out, i installed leopard in an external drive and installed software one by one. when i reached You Control, the MBP stopped autosleeping. (thanks for apple for letting us install osx in external drives with ease)

I filed a feedback report to You Software hopefully they come with a soltution to this problem soon.

Please if you are using this software go to their site and complain about it.

Eventually, i am not removing the software for now because i really like it. I will send the MBP to sleep myself untill they repair the bug.

Thnks guys.

20. Jas123 macrumors member

What did you do to Clone your drive? I've never done that before and I'm too sick of this problem. Did you have to format your external first?
    Thanks.

21. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

with Disk Utility, it is never easier.

Just open disk utility, choose the disk you want to clone, click on the restore tab.

Then, grab the disk you want to clone and drop it in the Source area

Drag the destination disk and drop it in the destination area.

There is an option to erase the destination drive, check the checkbox if you want to.

However, I THINK if you clone it without erasing, then it wont erase any files in the destination.

I assume that you are aware for the destination drive to be able to boot osx, it has to have a specific format map, (GID or something similar, i cant remember). If you know about it, that fine, if you dont i will explain it to you.

22. Jas123 macrumors member

Could i just use disk utility to format it to that specification?

23. SailorTom macrumors regular

3rd party software

I have the same problem with my MBP, it's annoying but I'm living with it for now.

I think the problem is between 10.5.2 and some 3rd party software. Lots of people have this problem and most of them can attribute it to different 3rd party software. Either apple will (hopefully) fix this in 10.5.3, or the software developers need to fix their apps.

From what I've read people seem to be able to fix the problem by removing the culprit software, but there is really no way to know what this is. I think the best option is to do a clean install (hence why I'm living with it). Do not do an archive and install as this can move the problem software back into your clean install. Of course once you have a clean install you have to be careful about which apps you are re-installing; you don't want to inadvertantly cause the same problem again.

The OP has confirmed this for me, as they booted from a clean install on an external HDD, but copying their insomniac system to the external and booting from that doesn't solve the problem.

Personally, I intend to wait until 10.5.3 is released and then do a clean install anyway; i'll solve my insomnia problem and give my mbp a spring clean at the same time;)

Oh, and if anyone does do a clean install, post back and let us know if it solved your problem. it could be cool if everyone posted what app they find to be causing the insomnia as well.

24. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

I'm getting ready to do a clean install, i'll let you know if it solves anything.

25. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely you can use disk utitlity to format it that way.

However, if you have a disk that is partitioned to so many partitions, if the format map is not what you need, then erasing one partition wont help. You have to format the whole disk and partition it again.

However, if your disk is not partitioned, then it is much easier for you. Just erase it and choose the required format map. An proceed on to the restore.