Macbook pro won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cole7931, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Cole7931 macrumors newbie

I got this macbook pro brand new about a year ago and it hasn't given me any problems until today.

So this morning I sent some emails and just shut the screen to put it to sleep. When I got back today and went to open it up, nothing happened. I've tried to restart it by holding the button and it doesn't even begin to boot. No fan or HD or anything. The only sign of life i have is the sleep blinks. I think it may have blinked orange once but I'm not sure.

And yes, the battery is charged. When I hit the button on the side it says it is at 3/4 of the way up.

Anyone have an idea?

----------

It seems like the sleep light just flashes after I press the power button

2. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Pop the bottom off and disconnect the battery for a few minutes, see if that helps.

Check http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac for the proper method for your machine.

3. Cole7931 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd have to take the whole bottom off to get to the battery. Would that cause any problems with Apple if that doesn't work and I need to take it to them to get fixed or something?

4. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

If you have AppleCare still, I would give them a phone call if you are worried; however if I were in your shoes I would disconnect the battery; and no it will not void your warranty.

5. Rohebot macrumors newbie

This exact thing happened to me a couple years ago with my 2007 mbp. Put it to sleep one night and when I tried to wake it up the next day, nothing. Dead. Not a beep, nothing.

Took it in to the Apple Store and turned out it was a "catastrophic CPU and logic board failure". Thankfully I had AppleCare and they replaced the board and cpu. For that reason, I always get AppleCare now.

I suggest you bring it in, good luck.

6. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

I was also thinking it may be a logic board if it won't even power up.

7. Cole7931 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's not good news.

I also took the back cover off and just disconnected then reconnected the battery socket. Still not working.

I don't understand how it could have a "catastrophic failure" while in sleep mode. Guess I'll be taking it in tomorrow

8. Cole7931 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just tried starting it again and now the fan is running and the sleep light stays on but no display.

Does this mean anything has changed?