MacBook Pro won't boot. :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klv, Aug 16, 2012.

1. klv macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" (early 2008). Came with Leopard and then upgraded to Snow Leopard.

It has been working properly until recently. The sreen went off a couple of times for no reason a few months ago but it has not happened again.

The problem now is that it gets stuck on the grey screen with the light apple. I tried all the apple suport sugestions. The first time I safe booted, it worked. Then I tried to normal boot again and I'm stuck there, the progress symbol freezes every single time. It wont safe boot any more, gets stuck. If i use the show progress option, it gets stuck just after a nannysomething line. I tried to boot from Snow Leopard DVD and get a kernel panic all the time.

As a last resource, I ordered a new hard drive and new memory from OCW. I already installed them both and I get exactly the same problem. If I boot from DVD, get the kernel panic and if I try to boot from the old drive via USB, gets stuck on grey screen.

I have a time machine backup that i can restore, but i need to get the darn thing to boot. Any idea?

Thank you all.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It seems like a logic board or GPU failure. I highly doubt this machine still has any AppleCare (early 2008 to now.....)

3. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Its over. Thats why i upgraded it myself. If those were the problems... Is there still something to do?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Buying a new logic board would be the next step. But that is the expensive route. I'd take it to Apple and let them diagnose it properly before pulling the trigger.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

6. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch. Doesnt sound good. Did some google and found that it would cost 400-800 dlls. Dont think it makes sense considering that already spent 250 for mem and hd. It'd be 600-1000 for a still old machine that probably wont support whatever comes after mountain lion.

...am I right?

----------

This is good freaking news! I already have an apointment with a genius for tomorrow!

7. semiauto macrumors member

The trouble is I'm assuming that you bought the 17" for a specific reason and as seeing that there hasn't been a new 17" release this year (yet), you might have to settle for a 15" retina or non-retina (if you need the computer now)

Or,
    you could buy a "newer" 17" model used/new, like the 2011 model and take the memory and HDD you just bought and throw it in there.

You definitely should not spend the money to upgrade your 2008 MBP,IMO

8. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I bought 17 because I used architecture software and needed mobility, but I don't do that much now. Now I got my ipad2 and use my laptop 70% less. I'd probably go for the retina for workspace now that I'm getting into photography. ...but maybe an iMac will do better. Man! You cant have all the toys can you?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are not the only one with the need for an update to a newer machine.

10. klv, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

klv thread starter macrumors newbie

...is four years a decent lifetime for a 3000 dlls computer when you can get two good clones for the same amount? ... Not complaining. I just wish there was a loyalty program or something.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, I didn't pay $3k for mine. I barely broke $2k after AppleCare factored in. So after 4 years, a $2k investment seems fine since it is still running like new (disregarding dents, dinges and scratches).

12. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Components fail no matter how expensive the machine. God the amount of ferraris and other high end cars I've seen broken down on the road.

13. Idefix macrumors 6502

Here's the best reference page for the NVIDIA 8600 problem:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#storytop

I've got a 15" that I've taken to the Genius Bar once, about to go back again. It seems that Apple loves to declare that it's a logic board problem...

The trick about allowing the "dead laptop" to heat up naturally did work for me several times--allows you to restart and backup. (leave it on with the dead screen until it gets very hot, then allow to cool for a couple of hours.) Just remember to take the battery out, since you don't want the battery to continue to get extremely hot.

Be sure to report back after talking to the Genius, I'm very curious. Take a copy of the Apple support page to make sure the Genius remembers that it also refers to a "no video", and not just distorted video.

14. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

will do. Thanks!

15. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

Already went to the appointment. The genius said he didn't know what the problem was after running some diagnostics. He didn't mention the logic board though. I guess this is good. I mentioned the videocard problem and he said that some do have that provlem but he didnt know if this was the case. He said they needed to run some long diagnostics and had to check in the computer. They will call but no news so far. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the help.

16. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

You never know what the geniuses will do for you. You may walk out with a new computer. They are known to hook people up. I dropped my one month old MBP, the HDD, microphone, and bottom case were destroyed. The genius guy felt my pain and let me walk out with a brand new MBP :)

17. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what you're saying. I dropped my iPad at the Apple store the day after I bought it. Same thing, a genius took it, said let me see what we can do and came out with a new one. They are awesome.

18. Idefix macrumors 6502

Apple Genius took my 15" early 2008 MBP NVIDIA 8600M for repair under the 4-year warranty extension yesterday. Got at least 30 in front of me because of back to school week, will get it back middle or end of next week.

Started building a case in mid-June because of graphics tearing that I cleared up without taking a screenshot or photo (silly me, just wanting to make it disappear.) Took it to Genius Bar, ran test, saying not the specific problem covered by warranty extension: was told that it was probably the logic board (surprise, surprise, where have I heard that excuse before?)

Weeks went by just fine, then got completely black screen when trying to wake from sleep overnight. Got the latest from xlr8yourmac.com and used the heat-and-cool tip. Namely, tried to wake the MBP, screen still black, sleep light at half brightness, closed the lid to sleep it, sleep light at full brightness but not pulsing, and left it to heat up all by itself for an hour or longer (after taking the battery out so it wouldn't get cooked) then disconnecting from power and let it cool completely. Revived it 5 times that way, over a period of 10 days, hoping to get some graphic problem for documentation.

Finally took it a different Genius Bar, explained the back story, and had the laptop fully operational. Mentioned xlr8yourmac.com and reviving the MBP 5 times. Genius acknowledged a "third party tech site" but declared that running the test was the only way to determine if the problem was the specific problem covered by the court case. Kudos to the Genius, it was diplomatically and smoothly said.

Quit software, powered down, Genius ran test, MBP went completely dark right in the middle of the test (smoking gun?) Took the laptop back to talk to manager, came back to say he was confident it was the covered problem and that the $525 repair would be covered under warranty extension.

Key points: document the problem, don't take "logic board" as final answer, revive the MBP if possible, take it to different Genius, try, try again, polite throughout. Thank the Genius profusely if it works!

19. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds a lot like my case but by the time the boot problem started it had been a couple of months without any of that going on.

Got my computer back. They reinstalled Snow Leopard and said that the problem was gone. They could not tell me exactly what the problem was. They said that maybe it was a software conflict. They suggested not restoring the time machine backup but pull the files independantly so it won't bring thenproblem back.

I mentioned him about the graphics card issue but he said that this was not the case because the machine was working fine. I asked him what would happen if tie problem arised later and he said that then it would hve to be out of my pocket. :(

I will start installing softwe back and see whats goinig on. I noticed last night it is inly shoing 2gb of ram and I installed 4 but didnt have time to open it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks.

20. Idefix macrumors 6502

Well, I'll also be reporting back when I get my MBP back...crossing my fingers about having no potential problems.

Don't worry about what an individual Genius says, you've documented in your case notes that there was an instance of GPU problem (and claiming that reinstalling SL fixed it beggars belief.)

Run it thru some heavy duty loads, repeatedly, see what happens.

The problem about not having the original amount of RAM stinks, since it'll mean another trip to the Genius Bar. See if you can get some compensation?

21. klv thread starter macrumors newbie

Final veredict (?)

Reinstalled the memory and now it reads 4gb. I hope the mem is fine.

I upgraded to Mountain Lion and the problem came back. It wouldnt boot, just cycle, turn on, gray screen and an error message saying that i needed to reboot. :(

I got a second appointment with a geius. This time, it was a girl, she was as lost as me (or maybe worse). Then another genius came to rescue her first trying to say that the problem was that my MBP didnt support Mountain Lion. After he larned that it did and that I explained what the problem was, he said it might be the logic board. I asked how he could diagnose that, and he said, well, all the symptoms you are describing sound like it. I asked why then didn't anybody mention that, if I told them the symptoms from the beginning. Came up with all kind of doctor analogies, but not one really made sense.

Bottom line is, I was offered a flat rate repair of 310 dlls. Only 90 day warranty and I already spent 220 in hard drive and new memory. Is it worth the 530 investment to resucitate a 2008 MBP. I think it is not, but I might be wrong.

Any thoughts? Or am I missing something I could do?
    Thank you all.

22. Idefix, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

Idefix macrumors 6502

There are many instances cited on xlr8yourmac.com where it takes multiple tests of the NVIDIA 8600M to finally get a test that shows the GPU has failed.

I'd set up another Genius appointment and be sure to state that you want the NVIDIA 8600M tested. Are you still within the 4-year warranty extension from date of purchase? Or, more accurately, was your initial appointment way back whenever with the Genius Bar within 4 years of purchase? (I was because I bought it when the deep discounts came out with the introduction of the new unibodies...)

Anyway, when I picked up my early-2008 15" MBP with the new logic board they had me sign an electronic file that the repair would normally cost $526 but was covered under the extended warranty for zero dollars.

By pure coincidence, the Genius brought out 2 exact same early 2008 models, mine was free, the elderly lady's MBP was $310 for replacing the logic board. I really felt like grilling her outside the Apple Store about when she bought her MBP.

Edit: Can you get it to start up? Hint: Use the "heating it up then cooling completely" to get it to start up and then take it to the Genius Bar for the NVIDIA 8600M test. Also, try reinstalling ML.