Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Macbook pro won't boot.....

loragen

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
loragen,
I'll have to try that specific sequence.

To date this is the situation:
1.) Machine always starts in AM, runs fine all day; in either OSX or XP.
2.) Machine always starts after exactly 18 minutes of shutdown.
3.) Once started and allowed to load completely it will not shutdown via the power button.
4.) After full boot the machine will power down normally using the keyboard or mouse click commands.

I installed a new Seagate, 320GB HDD over Christmas, but this anomaly only began about 2 weeks ago.

Any info is more than welcome. This is my business laptop & I'd hate to have to ship it to Apple for an extended period. I'm beginning to think that this may be more involved that a simple power button issue. Perhaps, a bad capacitor or diode?

:(

Our symptoms are not quite the same, but they do share some common attributes... e.g., "starts after exactly 18 minutes" certainly suggests a process timeout rather than a thermal hardware intermittancy, which is never that predictable. Something that interacts with the PMU firmware would first come to mind, but I'm just guessing, since I know nothing about the internals of the OS. I'm sure that many of the people on this forum do, though. Sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

van nilla

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Ended up getting new logic board at $300 flat rate.

Ended up getting new logic board at $300 flat rate, and after a week or so problem seems fixed for now. :eek: That flat rate is a good deal for any apple laptops for getting repaired at the apple store: they charge about an extra $100 for out-of-warranty repairs.

Comment

fireartjohn

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Same problem, different solution, no better result

I've had the same problem, failure to boot with the sleep light steady half bright, hdd noise, no usb, no external video, no lcd display, for over a year. I can fix it every time by removing the RAM, waiting 2 minutes, reinserting the RAM and booting.

I've tried replacing the RAM. Same effect on both the stock 2x1G and the new matched pair 2x2G. I've replace the hdd with a 320G model. I've reset permissions. I've tried everything Apple recommends. I've replaced the OS. I now run 10.5.6, XP on Parallels, Vista on the bootcamp partition and Ubuntu on the extra room at the end of the Vista space. I use ReFIT. That all works fine, except for this boot issue which is no better nor worse today.

I notice the computer runs fine for days and wakes from sleep fine too. It also Restarts fine, including letting me select from the OS's. For me it won't boot after I've shutdown, closed the lid, opened the lid, and then tried to boot up.

I'd be happy to replace the logic board if I could be sure the new one didn't have this problem. Although, from previous posters it sounds like the problem still exists in the new unibody MBPs.

Sounds like I will try the other suggestions above and see what happens.
Thanks

Comment

jumpingjoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
my turn...

I guess its my turn to chime in... I have tried most of the remedies offered here and mainly want to know if it is a lost cause (i.e., the old standby: fried motherboard) before i bother paying someone to look at it.

The situation:
get up one morning, open the computer (it was asleep) and nothing - no screen.

When i boot i get the startup chime, the disk engages, i even get error "beeps" when i type random input at the login screen (voiceover tells me i am in login screen). no light. sometimes the "pulsing" sleep light stays on when computer is open and running... sometimes not.

i cant see anything on the lcd so its not just the backlight - no activity on the screen at all.

i was about to despair when, after copying all my files over to another computer (target disk mode works fine), i started it up and the screen was working fine - as good as new. until i closed the computer and then it was dark again...

I haven't tried removing and re-placing the ram yet but since the computer has full functionality aside from the screen I doubt that this is the issue. The USB ports have power (enough to power my mouse anyway) but when I hook it up to an external monitor i get more nothing...

8 months ago (a few days before warranty expired) the computer crapped out and i had the motherboard replaced. now it is out of warranty and, here at least, i am being told that a motherboard replacement will cost me well over 1k... :-(

i did pram reset, i disconnected the power supply and battery and held down the power button, i have done pretty much everything else i could think of (running only off of power cord w/battery removed, etc.). haven't tried booting off CD yet but, again, since the damn thing works perfectly fine except for the screen, I don't think that will help much...

Could it be a switch or sensor? But presumably that would only effect the backlight... since there is no activity on the screen at all I am guessing the prospects are grim.

So what do you think? Motherboard/video card or will "simply" swapping the screen help? any other ideas? i am not happy at having a $3500 machine die twice in less than 2 years of ownership but then again i suppose nobody in this thread is happy....

Comment

technoreid

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
I guess its my turn to chime in... I have tried most of the remedies offered here and mainly want to know if it is a lost cause (i.e., the old standby: fried motherboard) before i bother paying someone to look at it.

The situation:
get up one morning, open the computer (it was asleep) and nothing - no screen.

When i boot i get the startup chime, the disk engages, i even get error "beeps" when i type random input at the login screen (voiceover tells me i am in login screen). no light. sometimes the "pulsing" sleep light stays on when computer is open and running... sometimes not.

i cant see anything on the lcd so its not just the backlight - no activity on the screen at all.

i was about to despair when, after copying all my files over to another computer (target disk mode works fine), i started it up and the screen was working fine - as good as new. until i closed the computer and then it was dark again...

I haven't tried removing and re-placing the ram yet but since the computer has full functionality aside from the screen I doubt that this is the issue. The USB ports have power (enough to power my mouse anyway) but when I hook it up to an external monitor i get more nothing...

8 months ago (a few days before warranty expired) the computer crapped out and i had the motherboard replaced. now it is out of warranty and, here at least, i am being told that a motherboard replacement will cost me well over 1k... :-(

i did pram reset, i disconnected the power supply and battery and held down the power button, i have done pretty much everything else i could think of (running only off of power cord w/battery removed, etc.). haven't tried booting off CD yet but, again, since the damn thing works perfectly fine except for the screen, I don't think that will help much...

Could it be a switch or sensor? But presumably that would only effect the backlight... since there is no activity on the screen at all I am guessing the prospects are grim.

So what do you think? Motherboard/video card or will "simply" swapping the screen help? any other ideas? i am not happy at having a $3500 machine die twice in less than 2 years of ownership but then again i suppose nobody in this thread is happy....

I have the same thing happening but on a regular MacBook 2.0 early 2006 model.....

I have done everything I can!!!!! you name, I have done it.... except logic board....

which I think is the main culprit.

once shutdown cannot start up. but if I wait maybe 10-20 minutes it will bott up again.

thanks, techno

Comment

Phylodome35

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
NVIDIA Graphics Card

So I just got back from the Apple store, where, miraculously, they solved my problem.

I was having the exact same issue as discussed above (by those staying on topic), and tried the various remedies suggested to no avail. So I took my computer to the Genius Bar for a diagnostic. They informed me of this issue:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...6-engadget-reporting-faulty-nvidia-cards.html

and that NVIDIA would replace the faulty graphics card free of charge. So I'm laptopless for a week :mad: , but it's a free fix that will restore everything back to normal :D

**Note**

If you bring your computer in for this problem, make sure that the "Genius" uses the NVIDIA diagnostic boot disk. It bypasses the normal boot process and runs a diagnostic specifically designed to ferret out this issue. If they don't do this, your MBP will not boot and they will get no information (meaning you will get no results)

Hope this helps.

Comment

emheenan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
What model/version MBP did you have?

It looks like the Nvidia problem affects early 2008 models. I bought mine in April 2007, so I don't think it's the same cause...

Comment

buthidae

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi again,

My MBP continued it's trend of not accepting any previous remedy, to the point where it would power on with just the sleep light on (and a bit of drive spinning up). It'd then shut off after 5-10 seconds, and turn back on after another few seconds. The sleep light would stay on and the drives would fully spin up (this last time I've had my OS X disc in there from trying to do a restore), but the screen would never come on.

I've given up - dropped my laptop off for repair yesterday. As far as I can see, there is no magic fix for this one! :cool:

Comment

southojen

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
Hi again,

My MBP continued it's trend of not accepting any previous remedy, to the point where it would power on with just the sleep light on (and a bit of drive spinning up). It'd then shut off after 5-10 seconds, and turn back on after another few seconds. The sleep light would stay on and the drives would fully spin up (this last time I've had my OS X disc in there from trying to do a restore), but the screen would never come on.

I've given up - dropped my laptop off for repair yesterday. As far as I can see, there is no magic fix for this one! :cool:

Can you please let us know what you find out from Apple. Thanks.

Comment

buthidae

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Can you please let us know what you find out from Apple. Thanks.

Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid! I don't have an Apple Store in my area, and the reseller simply replaced the logic board and left it at that.

My own suspicions are along the lines that there's a bug in the EFI code preventing proper dropping in to safe sleep under certain conditions. That's just based off the fact that there are a wide range of ages of laptops reporting faults in this thread. Mine ended up acknowledging but not taking any affect from SMC resets so in theory it could be a fairly wide range of components at fault.

I think van nilla was on the money when he said
van nilla said:
Or perhaps pram has nothing to do with it, but the PMU firmware is poorly written and can get into a confused state that will not let power-up proceed to the "chime" state. I suspect that the PMU is not really getting fully reset, and/or is reading some corrupt info from PRAM and going into unknown state.

I think the apple-folks need to re-examine their Power-On-Self-Test code. I think there needs to be some way early in the power-on process, pre-open-firmware, to really reset pram. It seems currently if you never hear the 1st chime, then command-option-P-R can not reset the pram. And I suspect we are in a state where corrupt pram is preventing us from getting to the point where pram can be reset in a classic Catch 22. There needs to be some other way to reset things other than the only other apparent solution: replace logic board $$$$.

Sorry :(

Comment

scratt

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Don't give up!

Seriously guys don't give up on your machine so easily.. ;)

I actually frequent other places on the web but joined today simply to add some feedback to this thread. It was very helpful to me.

I had the exact symptoms that many of you describe above.
My Core Duo 17" MBP is definitely a "Friday" machine.

USB has always been flakey on it, the LCD has a vertical line that comes and goes, and well, it's always been poorly. This particular machine is the only Mac I have ever used in the field for work in environments that are dirty and hot, and has more than paid for itself, so I put it's quirks down to it's relatively hard life compared to my other more cosseted Macs.

In a nut shell I was running Parallels, had gone to lunch, came back and the screen had gone to sleep. Which is strange as I don't actually have it set to go to sleep.

I use synergy to share a mouse and keyboard between this Mac and my almost 10 year old original 17" PB, which is still going strong as a home server. I tried to SSH in, and all the usual stuff but my machine was well and truly in the land of nod.

I ended up finding the exact same symptoms as everyone here.

Screen blank.
Lid light on full when lid closed.
Lid light dim when lip open.
No chime. DVD clicks. Won't boot at all.

I tried all the tricks I know.

In the end I was trying many different combinations of holding the power button down with no battery in, no mains attached etc.

Tried to boot with no battery.

And so on.. I spent a good 25 - 30 minutes doing that and reading horror stories on the web..

About a month ago I picked up a new Unibody 17" simply because I knew this machine was on the way out... So I was very happy that I had done that, but still sad to see a dead MBP sitting next to a brand new 17" and an original 17" from yester-year both screaming along happily.. The build quality on those first G4 17" PBs is something Apple should take a real long hard look at, and try to get back to.

I also have a lot of work from the last two days on the HD in this machine and did not fancy ripping it apart to re-house the HD.

So I persevered.

1. Get rid of the PSU.
2. Get rid of the battery.
3. Do the >10 second thing on the Power Button with everything off.
4. Take all the RAM out. (This was what made the difference IMO).
5. Do the >10 second thing with the Power Button again.
6. Have a cup of coffee.
7. Do the >10 second thing with the Power Button again.
(I have to wonder if whatever that does takes a lot longer to drain / clear the PMU than Apple thinks.)
8. Stick the RAM back in.
9. Stick the battery in.
10. Connect the power.
11. Blow on your fingers, and fire her up.. et voila: Your Mac is back.

Hope that helps some people anyway.

Peace.

Comment

buthidae

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Hope that helps some people anyway.

Hey scratt,

Great guide! I hope that it helps some people with this problem.

Unfortunately for my (ex-)Logic Board, I tried exactly as you described (to the letter!) and it still would not kick in to gear. By the time I had given up and arranged a replacement Logic Board it would not deviate from the following behavour:

* (Replace RAM, Reconnect Battery, Reconnect PSU)
* Press Power
* Machine powers up, sleep light turns on, after a few moments the drives start spinning. No screen display.
* After 10-12 seconds, machine suddenly powers off with a 'click'
* After another 5-10 seconds, machine powers up again, sleep light turns on
* Again after a few moments the drives spin up, still no screen display
* Nothing further from this point. Fans & sleep light remain on, CD drive stayed spinning (my OSX DVD was in there so I expect it would have spun down otherwise) but the HDD appeared to have stopped.
* Buthidae mutters various curses, calls his local AppleCentre :D

Now, there is a "gotcha" involved in my case which may have been the final straw for my poor SMC: I was using a 60W PSU when the battery was fully depleted, instead of the proper 85W PSU.

Do not ever do this!

Through some testing, it appears that if the MBP is partially charged a 60W (i.e. MB) PSU will be sufficient to operate and (slowly) charge the unit. It will not, however, provide enough power enough to boot (or start charging) on an empty battery. We discovered this while in the AppleCentre - after I got my MBP back with the new LB we went to boot it up in-store, and it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a 60W PSU being used there as well (the clerk and service techs had always used an MBP there and the three of us had thought it was an 85W PSU, evidentially not).

I suspect my attempts to do SMC resets and the boot with a flattened battery & 60W PSU may have been the final nail in the coffin. For clarity though, I had only used this PSU for the last couple of weeks before getting the unit replaced - all issues previously (where I'd need to do various 'tricks' as noted in this thread) were done alongside an 85W :)

Comment

bencracknell

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Memory replacement fixed boot problem

Hi, my first post,

I have exactly the problem described above with my MPB, light glowing brighter when closed but not even getting as far as a chime when booting up.

This was on a MPB that had been behaving oddly, I thought it must be the memory (2x512Mb), so I replaced it with two new 1Gb units from Crucial (uk), I then got the 'won't switch on' problem.

I tried all the things listed above to no avail until I started swapping the memory about. So, starting with the battery out and running on the power pack I did this...

1) I put the original Memory cards back in - nothing
2) I put the new ones in - nothing
3) I took the new ones out, blew in the slots (this felt so wrong!) to remove 'dust' and put one card back in - bingo! It booted properly
4) I put the battery back and booted again - still good
5) I put the second 1Gb card in - it booted just fine

I then shut down and booted up as a test, and restarted, it all worked fine. That was 12 hours ago, I'm using the MPB now and it's all going well.

I hope this works for you!

Ben

Comment

brewingup

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
same symptoms

ugh kill me.

I have exactly the same symptoms on my mbp. less than year old. I've been removing / readding memory, rebooting, etc. have tried everything else posted here also. nothin, nada. zip.

Comment

brewingup

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
working!

holy moly i finally boot up!

After many failed attempts at removing / adding RAM, resetting pram, resetting pmu, trying all different modes of booting, etc i finally said screw it! I left my mbp plugged in overnight in this annoying 'sleep mode' it wouldn't come out of. in the morning i tried resetting pram 2 more times and the second time i booted up it awoke!

How weird and annoying. Hopefully this will help someone else too.

peace out

Comment

eaimees

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Quick fix!

I had every symptom each of you mentioned and was prepared to go through all the steps everyone tried (often to no avail.) I removed the battery, but decided to look up directions on removing the hard drive, etc. I happened to have a disk stuck too, so when I saw directions for removing that, I figured a little more info couldn't hurt. Fortunately that post saved the day!

Here's the bit: I inserted a small piece of thin cardboard just above the disc and twisted it (the cardboard) a little so the disk can’t spin when starting up. I turned the computer on and held down the trackpad button. I could hear the sound of the optical drive inside, not the spinning sound but rather sound of something moving ever so slightly. I heard it only two times and the third sound was a well known one - the offending DVD came out. The computer then happily booted the OS X.

MAGIC!

In case it's helpful, here's the link:
http://www.silvermac.com/2006/dvd-stuck-in-macbook-pro/

Comment

sardonicexpress

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
This worked for me.

I had similar problems on my 15" MBP, and tried all of the steps recommended on Apple's help page with no success. What finally worked for me was taking out the battery and RAM and holding the power button down for a rather long time. After putting everything back together and reconnecting the charger, the computer booted up like normal. I tried shutting down and powering back up several times, and everything is working fine.

Comment

ssbeltran

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
tak

So I just got back from the Apple store, where, miraculously, they solved my problem.

I was having the exact same issue as discussed above (by those staying on topic), and tried the various remedies suggested to no avail. So I took my computer to the Genius Bar for a diagnostic. They informed me of this issue:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...6-engadget-reporting-faulty-nvidia-cards.html

and that NVIDIA would replace the faulty graphics card free of charge. So I'm laptopless for a week :mad: , but it's a free fix that will restore everything back to normal :D

**Note**

If you bring your computer in for this problem, make sure that the "Genius" uses the NVIDIA diagnostic boot disk. It bypasses the normal boot process and runs a diagnostic specifically designed to ferret out this issue. If they don't do this, your MBP will not boot and they will get no information (meaning you will get no results)

Just

Hope this helps.

So I just tried ALL the tips here, in random and posted order... and nothing, nie, nada, zip, kaput.

my symptoms are:
-i get a startup chime, every single time.
-the computer screen stays black, never get the gray screen or anything.
-my sleep indicator light stays dim and does not wax or wane, although it becomes more intense if i close the lid.
-i wait for the login screen (at least i wait until i guess it should already be there) and type my password
-everything seems to work fine, the volume keys make their proper sounds, i even hear the new email tone everytime Mail receives something.
-if i use the "shut off screen" shortcut (control+function+option+shift+eject), which isnt that much of a shortcut, but very useful the sleep indicator light will turn off as soon as I release the keys... yes, weird, but it happens.
-i can even shut the computer down properly by pressing the power button and then enter.

Turns out I called Apple Mexico (I live in Mexico city) and told them about the nvidia geforce 8600 gt issue, and though surprised to hear about this, (they even checked the apple support website) they were very helpful and even offered to vouch for me if I was challenged about having this fixed for free at the local authorized service centers (there arent any apple stores with geniuses here).

so ill take my macbook pro 17 in, 4GB RAM, 2.4 ghz for a checkup tomorrow, and hope to get my logic board (which has the graphics card welded to it) replaced...

ill keep you guys posted.

Comment

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
To everyone on this post having the black screen fo death check this notice from apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

If your computer has the Nvidia 8600GT you'll get the logic board (why don't they simply call it motherboard) replaced for free. Even if your computer is out of waranty.

Mine died a few days ago. I got the computer back at home after 3 days for free. Wonderful.

Comment

emheenan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

**Note**

Hope this helps.

I've just come back to this thread after some time away and have re-read Phylodome35's post.

It seems to me this is not the same problem that those of us staying on topic have had. My reading of the linked Apple Support page indicates that the computer operates normally, there is just no display to the screen when this defect arises.

I understand the thread of this topic to be that the computer turns on but absolutely nothing happens - significantly there is no boot chime. Whereas if it's a nVidia card problem there is a boot chime, you just can't see what's going on.

Is this right?

Comment

ssbeltran

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
I've just come back to this thread after some time away and have re-read Phylodome35's post.

It seems to me this is not the same problem that those of us staying on topic have had. My reading of the linked Apple Support page indicates that the computer operates normally, there is just no display to the screen when this defect arises.

I understand the thread of this topic to be that the computer turns on but absolutely nothing happens - significantly there is no boot chime. Whereas if it's a nVidia card problem there is a boot chime, you just can't see what's going on.

Is this right?

True but some of us are so confused as to why our fricking computer won't boot that we get confused... sorry if my post was off-topic.

I thought this was for people whose MacBooks:
-had a black screen
-had a steadily glowing sleep indicator light
Anyways, I promised I'd get back, and my logicboard was replaced, I am now a happy man.

Comment

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
The nVidia card problem, specifically the 8600GTm model macbook pros (15" and 17") is known to apple and nVidia. If your computer does experience this problem, you can take it to an apple store, and they will replace the board inside. (as a reminder, this is where the screen goes black, with a pulsating, glowing light on the front- essentially the GPU overheats and kills itself)

The other one, (where the computer doesnt even chime) is a new one to me at least. Although sounds like it might be a logic board problem as well, seeing as the computer is totally unresponsive. Simple test would be to take out the internal HDD, try booting from an external HDD with leopard installed on. Can try to take the ram out, theres a manual PRAM button in the laptop, somewhere on the logic board, cant remember where though :s-this might be a feasible option if people know where to look.. lol.

If nothing else happens take it to the store!!

Thats a summary of the last 2 pages, 3 years of thread lol :-D

PTP

Comment

madhukarah

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
India, Kerala
even i got the same problem yesterday.. :( :( :(

i have Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz (T9300)

My question is, weather they will replace the same Nvidia 8600M GT logic boards or new 9600M GT boards ?

can anyone help me !

Comment

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
even i got the same problem yesterday.. :( :( :(

i have Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz (T9300)

My question is, weather they will replace the same Nvidia 8600M GT logic boards or new 9600M GT boards ?

can anyone help me !

You'll get a 8600M GT board.

Comment

madhukarah

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
India, Kerala
Im Located at India and my uncle sent me Macbook pro 17" last year, and i dont have any warranty ...and i just have a MPB and its charger ...!:D

Can my MPB repairable from this logic board problem without warranty.. ?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.