Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Was using it one day and it went to a grey screen.

Ended up trying a few things I got from forum searching but the only thing that solved it was a complete reinstall of OS X. Before this I did a complete backup and thought it would be a good time to completely erase my ssd and start again.

Everything was ok for a few days then it started freezing and playing up again.now it won't startup and it won't boot in safe mode etc and gets a progress bar which goes about ¼ of the way and then stops like this.

Any ideas or do I need to try and struggle to get a genius appointment?? image.jpg

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
And now I can't get in to disk utilities using cmd + r

What year is your MBP? also does it restart after trying to load and tell you that it had to force shutdown and press any key to continue?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… safe mode … progress bar which goes about ¼ of the way and then stops …

That symptom bugged some users, including me, for years. Whether the bug was properly fixed for all environments, I don't know.

Apple reference: 152162960

can't get in to disk utilities using cmd + r

Please be more descriptive.

Does Recovery OS start?

Can you open Disk Utility but not select the required volume?

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
It's a late 2011 brought in early 2012.

I have a crucial m4 512ssd.

I'm starting to think this is the issue? I have the original hdd at work which I will swap over tomorrow if need be.

When the progress bar stops it stays on this screen for ages until I turn it off.

When I press cmd r the progress bar goes very slow until about 1/6 of the way then the screen goes grey and stays here for as long as I hold this down. 5 mins or more.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
It also gets very hot on the back below the F3 key ish.

It's probably the graphics card failing or already failed and system can not boot. Mine had the same issue. All of a sudden it froze, restarted it and never booted up again. Specially since you have the 2011 model, could be radeongate.

Here's the link to a recall by apple. Take it in and see what they say. You might get a new logic board for free if the issue has to do with the graphics card.

Reactions: jamin00

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
It's probably the graphics card failing or already failed and system can not boot. Mine had the same issue. All of a sudden it froze, restarted it and never booted up again. Specially since you have the 2011 model, could be radeongate.

Here's the link to a recall by apple. Take it in and see what they say. You might get a new logic board for free if the issue has to do with the graphics card.

Think you might have got it! The screen did go funny a few times, distorted like!!

Will go this route. Thanks!

Suspended
Jan 27, 2009
Think you might have got it! The screen did go funny a few times, distorted like!!

That's it. You are lucky it didn't happen earlier before the recall. Mine died before the recall, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get Apple to fix it. Ended up paying $300 some odd dollars to get it fixed which was refunded after the recall.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014

Yeah then it could have been the graphics card failing when that happened and then finally it gave up. I called Apple to see if they would replace my logic board. They told me they would check it for free and if it was the graphics card, they would replace it for free otherwise tell me how much it would cost to fix. However once she put the data of my laptop into system, she informed me that the recall for 2010 MBP is over.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Thanks for the help guys. Went to apple twice only not to be seen so arranged today for Apple to collect it tomorrow and sort it as the first appointment I could get was Saturday and I don't have time to keep checking if I can get seen on a walk in.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Right, sent in to Apple and it was the graphics card that is failing so they are replacing that and the logic board? Also, my Crucial M4 SSD is failing too so I need to replace that. Brought it in 2012 so not too bad but what one to get to replace it?

I have the standard HDD that came with but SSD is soooo much quicker

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Right, sent in to Apple and it was the graphics card that is failing so they are replacing that and the logic board? Also, my Crucial M4 SSD is failing too so I need to replace that. Brought it in 2012 so not too bad but what one to get to replace it?

I have the standard HDD that came with but SSD is soooo much quicker

If you are paying for all that it would be a much better option to sell yours for parts and buy a new rMBP...

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Not paying for the Apple repairs but need a new SSD. So just popped a Q up asking for what SSD to get as not up to date with the best ones to go for.

Just on the phone to Crucial UK and its 1 month outside the warranty lol so now joy with them at all lol.

Or thinking now I could put the normal HDD back in and get myself and new rMBP :)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not paying for the Apple repairs but need a new SSD. So just popped a Q up asking for what SSD to get as not up to date with the best ones to go for.

Just on the phone to Crucial UK and its 1 month outside the warranty lol so now joy with them at all lol.

Or thinking now I could put the normal HDD back in and get myself and new rMBP :)

Yeah stick the old one back in sell it and use the money towards a new one. Could be a great option....

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
OK, how much would a late 2011 fetch nowadays? 15" Pro all standard apart from I also upgraded the ram to 16 I think.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
OK, how much would a late 2011 fetch nowadays? 15" Pro all standard apart from I also upgraded the ram to 16 I think.

Depends which country you live in, just check ebay for recently finished auctions for macbook pro's in your country and that will give you a fair idea. In england they go for about £500-£700.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Yea thats what I just see.

I just ordered a new rMBP off the Apple store app. Sod it. Will give this one when it comes back with the normal HDD in for my daughter. Thanks guys, just happy the repairs are being done under the recall :)

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I read it this way, if you paid for the repair prior to the recall then you can get a refund?

Im not paying for it to be done.

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
yup, if you paid for the repair before the recall, and you used an Apple authorised repair centre, you can claim a refund. If you have a dodgy logic board then they will fit it for nothing.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yea thats what I just see.

I just ordered a new rMBP off the Apple store app. Sod it. Will give this one when it comes back with the normal HDD in for my daughter. Thanks guys, just happy the repairs are being done under the recall :)

Excellent I pass all my old apple stuff to members of the family too.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Makes sense, we still have an original iPad and it still works spot on. iPods etc, still floating around and used by someone lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.