Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pro won't start??

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Ignore what i said, thought you meant the computer. not the ssd. If your ssd is more than 3 years old it's probably finished.

Comment

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Maybe failures are programmed into them. lots of companies do that according to the various news sites.
Just bad luck.....

Comment

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Yes, someone I work with was a programmer for Microsoft and said they do program it in!!! Said it today as was talking about it in the office. Wether that is the same for this company who knows but if things last for ages then companies would not do as well ;)

Comment

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
maybe updating the firmware booting from a cd might 'wake up' the drive. I know i would give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

Comment

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
You would need a good computer with a cd writer. Go to Crucial's website and the instructions should be there somewhere. Have never had to do it myself as i sell my stuff every six months or so.

Comment

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Ok, got anything for sale I can buy now ;)

Will go check it out. Don't even know if my mew rMBP coming has a cd drive let alone a rw lol. Never use CDs no more but will have access to one at the office somewhere. Thanks

Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Ok, got anything for sale I can buy now ;)

Will go check it out. Don't even know if my mew rMBP coming has a cd drive let alone a rw lol. Never use CDs no more but will have access to one at the office somewhere. Thanks
rMBPs do not have an DVD drives. And nobody uses them either these days, we all use bootable USB sticks instead.

Reactions: jamin00
Comment

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Bootable USB sticks lol?

And what would you use them for, anything you would use a CD normally? How do you get a bootable USB?

Comment

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Bootable USB sticks lol?

And what would you use them for, anything you would use a CD normally? How do you get a bootable USB?
You make a bootable USB by buying a cheap USB stick and flashing the ISO into the USB stick (use Disk Utility's restore function).

I have not used any optical media since 6 years ago.

Bootable USB sticks are for recovery purposes (like reinstalling OS X for instance). And who even installs software using optical media anymore? Just buy the license key online, download the ISO and install. Easy.

Reactions: jamin00
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.