MacBook Pros not coming out any time soon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BetaPro, Jan 31, 2011.

  1. BetaPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    #1
    Just saw this from AnandTech

    Wait Longer for those MacBook Pros
    Have you noticed a lack of dual-core Sandy Bridge based notebooks on the market? Intel wanted to but couldn’t launch every last SNB SKU at the same time, so the dual-core notebooks got pushed out until mid-to-late February. Unfortunately, that was pre-bug. With this latest delay you shouldn’t expect dual-core SNB notebooks until a few weeks after their original launch date, at the earliest.

    If we assume fixed chipsets are available in the last week of February, they can be put into systems the first week of March. Then expect at least a week of testing and validation if not more. Add another week to ramp up production and we’re looking at late March or early April for dual-core SNB notebooks. Those of you waiting on Apple’s updated MacBook Pros fall into this category. I’d say April is a safe bet if you’re waiting on an upgrade.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

    we're ****ed
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    Forum Spy is a good resource to actually see what threads and topics are hot and active: http://spy.macrumors.com/

    For instance: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11818956#post11818956, a thread discussing something about Intel's lack of commitment when it comes to the new Rockwell microarchitecture, as it has been delayed again for another two days or so.
    Let's hope the 386 CPUs will finally be available in 1/8 core units, or the mighty balls of that dog will suck the Sid cussingly dry.
     
  3. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #3
    Why? The Macbook Pros now have Intel's latest chipset again.
     
  4. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #4
    You didn't hear? This is all over CNN. They even raised the terror threat.
     
  5. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #5
    Let's all panic that everyone can't buy a chipset that's not on the market!

    :rolleyes:
     
  6. altecXP macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    #6
    ?
    It's on the market. How do you think PC builders are making the i7 SNB systems? Just look on Newegg.
     
  7. laser71 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    There are a lot of variables and unknowns at the moment which makes this thread inaccurate.

    It looks like the problem is for controllers with >2 SATA connections. MBP likely only has 2. It's possible that they will not be impacted as a result.

    Let's all just cool our jets until more info comes out. If delayed, it will probably be about a month. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
     
  8. Arinoth macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    It's the desktop chipset, not the laptop ones. iMacs will be delayed, MacBooks will not.
     
  9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2010
    Location:
    Athens, Greece
    #9
    so is this chipset problem for dual cores only, or quad too? but there are already many laptops with SNB quad out there, i don't think they'll send them all back :O
     
  10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #10
    Thanks to intel. These cry babies are going to cry more about when the MBPs will be updated.

    Time to switch to AMD.
     
  11. raymondthimmes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #11
    powerbook G5
    FTW!
     
  12. Filipek macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    #12
    It's such a waste and such a shame that even on these forums people are too egocentric and lazy to read the forum first before posting a new topic and realizing that there is already a topic with 5 pages going on about this subject.
    Too bad I thought Apple users were different....
     
  13. jreuschl macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #13
    Switch to AMD.. with a 3rd party chipset.. sure..
     
  14. Pentad macrumors 6502a

    Pentad

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    Location:
    Indiana
    #14
    That is incorrect.
     
  15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Location:
    South Pole
    #15
    I bought an Acer TimelineX 3820TG to tide me over. It has a Intel arrandale CPU, 2 kg, 7 hour nattery life and a RADEON 5650/6550.

    The 13" MBA I had was not powerful enough for my purposes :)o games). So it went back to the store.

    For $660 CDN I can live with the Acer's limitations - notably a poor-contrast LCD and no OSX.

    When the new pro comes out I'll sell the Acer and junp back on the Apple bandwagon.
     
  16. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #16
    Certainly not on the market anymore...
     
  17. Pair macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
  18. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #18
    soon, well were past that. soon is not 80+ days past normal cycle, so fail there. Soon for now means not April, aka another quarter.
     
  19. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #19
    Nope, Macbooks will also be affected.
     
  20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #20
    Please read carefully before you make posts. All the laptops and desktops are due for recalls.

    Those of you who are waiting for MBP updates, better hope that apple doesn't update it anytime so soon. Intel said these fixes won't come into play until March/April.

    So, if they release the laptop in Feb/March, then obviously, apple will not put sandy Bridge processor in.

    Who cares about Sandy Bridge anyway...

    Stick in Core 2 Duo and nice graphic card. I don't want to fight with apple or intel on returning and exchanging my product.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.
     
  21. vipergts2207, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

    vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #21
    Hey, why stop there? Let's just drop in a Pentium III, amiright? :rolleyes:

    Thankfully you don't work for Apple.
     
  22. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #22
    I'll take a Pentium II if it won't break like Sandy Bridge! :p
     
  23. greamelexon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    #23
    There are many variables and unknowns at the time, which makes this thread accurate. It seems that the problem of automata with SATA connections with 2 SATA HDD. MBP probably only secondarily It is possible that they will not be affected thereafter. Let's all just cool our jets until more info comes out. If delayed, it will probably be about a month. Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things.
     
  24. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

    ThaDoggg

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2010
    Location:
    Peterborough, Canada
    #24
    Yup, this is correct. Maybe Apple will stick with the current CPU's and make SSD standard across the board. :D
     
  25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

    nateo200

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    Location:
    Northern District NY
    #25
    Guise! Therez no moar macbooks at apple!!! Everybody dig holes and hide your macbookz there worth more than gold!!

    /sarcasm
     

Share This Page