Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
All macbooks that use the magsafe connector slow down when the battery is removed. As soon as the battery is removed, the processor clocks down to 1ghz. This is due to the magsafe connector not being able to provide enough "power", and the battery is suppose to complement it with spare power. So basically, you must buy a battery every 1-2 years from Apple.

MagSafe provides 85watt of power which should be MORE than enough power but Apple has decided to make it clock down. My 125watt HP power adapter is only slightly bigger than the MagSafe adapter, so I don't understand why they can't make a 125watt adapter.

So, is there a different power adapter we can use so it doesn't clock down?

nicfargo

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Nebraska
No, no other adaptor. And why the heck would you use your MBP without a battery in it? That's just being difficult to be difficult.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Well, a 125W adaptor is also heavier, and costs more. There is no point of owning something with the soul aim of selling it for as much as $20 more than it would have if you used it to it's full potential. Use the battery.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Well, a 125W adaptor is also heavier, and costs more. There is no point of owning something with the soul aim of selling it for as much as $20 more than it would have if you used it to it's full potential. Use the battery.

Please, let's get rid of the heavier myth. The magsafe adapter and the HP 125watt adapters weigh the same to me. Maybe you would like to throw your money at apple every year, but most people don't.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Please, let's get rid of the heavier myth. The magsafe adapter and the HP 125watt adapters weigh the same to me. Maybe you would like to throw your money at apple every year, but most people don't.

Are you kidding me? We love doing that! In fact, I go into the Apple store at least twice a month with a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills. I don't buy anything...I just love giving them money. ;)

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
That's not a proper solution, that's a workaround! A proper solution would be to update OS X so it doesn't clock down when battery is removed.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

lemme get this straight....you bought an apple laptop but don't want to shell out the battery for it when it goes bad? :confused: why don't you get an OEM or a refurb off Ebay to replace the bad battery, or better, why don't you get a desktop instead? i fail to see the point of you getting a laptop, running it off the Magsafe when the battery goes bad and then complain about it that Apple charges too much for a replacement.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
lemme get this straight....you bought an apple laptop but don't want to shell out the battery for it when it goes bad? :confused: why don't you get an OEM or a refurb off Ebay to replace the bad battery, or better, why don't you get a desktop instead? i fail to see the point of you getting a laptop, running it off the Magsafe when the battery goes bad and then complain about it that Apple charges too much for a replacement.

You're missing the point. The point is that I should be able to run my Macbook Pro at FULL specs using the included power adapter THAT is independent of the battery. There is NO reason that the macbook should clock itself down when the battery isn't used. 85watt power adapter is more than enough. Apple purposely made OSX clock down so you would pay them for a new battery every 1-2 years.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
You're missing the point. The point is that I should be able to run my Macbook Pro at FULL specs using the included power adapter THAT is independent of the battery. There is NO reason that the macbook should clock itself down when the battery isn't used. 85watt power adapter is more than enough. Apple purposely made OSX clock down so you would pay them for a new battery every 1-2 years.

Leaving the battery in does not do a thing to the battery. Keeping it out all the time can actually hurt it more because it's not exercised.

Batteries are like humans.
If you take a battery out and put it in a drawer for a year, it's like a human quitting their job and quitting all physical work and sitting in bed for a year. The human will get fat and not be able to work again. Same thing with the battery.

They need to be exercised! Leave it in, use it when you want. People who don't use their battery often have a bad battery in a year or less, while those who do use their battery often can keep a battery for a year or more with decent performance.

Leave it in, don't worry about it, it does not constantly charge. If it did charge all the time, it would blow up on your desk, which wouldn't be cool at all.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
There is NO reason that the macbook should clock itself down when the battery isn't used. 85watt power adapter is more than enough. Apple purposely made OSX clock down so you would pay them for a new battery every 1-2 years.

The reason is that not all outlets can or do supply enough power (ie, plugging in on an airplane). Apple can't guarantee that all outlets will supply enough power, so they underclock to ensure the laptop isn't damaged.

Time to take off the tinfoil hat...

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Why bother removing the battery? It would just lead to other problems like wear and tear on the battery door.

Even if you do need a new one down the road... You decided to spend 2K on a premium product, and a new battery costs $130, that's 6.5% the price of the base model MBP. As you can see, a new battery isn't expensive at all.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
The reason is that not all outlets can or do supply enough power (ie, plugging in on an airplane). Apple can't guarantee that all outlets will supply enough power, so they underclock to ensure the laptop isn't damaged.

Time to take off the tinfoil hat...

Yes BUT the magsafe is already supply the notebook with 85watts of power....why would it need to clock down?

skwirl341

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Boston
whitefang, best of luck getting refunded for your MBP. I'm sure you can find plenty of PC laptops that do exactly what you want.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
1. The battery doesn't degrade over time if you leave it in, WITH the magsafe conencted. My MBP has mostly been sitting on my desk for the last 2 years, it's at about 85% health.

2. Your computer will draw >85 watts when used to it's MAXIMUM. How many people use their computer to their max? And from that small % of people...how long do you use it at that point?

3. 5% of people will consistently use the computer >85 watts, of those people, it will be at that point say 5% of the computers lifetime. That's 0.25% of the time every computer will draw more power than the adaptor uses. Why, then, would Apple make an adaptor that costs 1/3 more, that no one will use?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
As for battery stuff, the battery in my PowerBook is nearing its fourth birthday, has 98% health, lasts over four hours, and is used nearly every day :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No, no other adaptor. And why the heck would you use your MBP without a battery in it? That's just being difficult to be difficult.

because people have their reasons.

Yeah using it without the battery is just dumb. Don't knock loose the MagSafe or else the MBP will simply shut off. Nice.

no it isnt.

That's not a proper solution, that's a workaround! A proper solution would be to update OS X so it doesn't clock down when battery is removed.

i wish there was a solution! i constantly take out my battery but it is sufficient for my needs, even when i am using parallels, converting videos and folding all at the same time...

OneBlueFire

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
Manila, Philippines
If you cant afford a battery every few years then im am super surprised you can afford a mac.

This just made my day... LOL!

You're actually right. Apple does cater to a more "affluent" market. Their (Apple's) devices DO have less expensive counterparts from other manufacturers, but we choose to go with Apple products because of the premium that comes along with the brand.

We're being "Forced" by Apple to buy new batteries every other year?!? Nobody twisted our arms when we were shelling out $2,500 to $3,000 for our new MBPs. It was a conscious choice. Even before we bought our Macs we knew that every accessory for it would also come at premium prices.

We also have to remember that Apple is in business to MAKE money. It's about the bottom-line, as with any other business. Hence, there will NEVER be an All-In-One-Last-Your-Entire-Life product from ANY manufacturer.

If clocking down the processor when the battery is removed is Apple's way of getting more money out of us so we're forced to buy new batteries every so often, I'm all for it. Remember, it's that very money we're paying them that enables them to develop new and revolutionary products.

$130 battery? Pffft... Most of us have spent more on a haircut... =P

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
pretty sure its also because the power adaptor cant supply enough power.. whether this is intentional or because the power adaptor ALREADY rapidly gives out massive amounts of heat..

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
@whitefang

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. There is no "conspiracy" to the MacBook Pro powering down, and to use Mac without a battery in is flat out stupid. I see no reason to do that, for it does not harm the battery for it to actually be inside the product it was meant to power.

Oh, one last thing, you do know that there is more to a power adapter than just weight..... right??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.