Macbook Quite A Capable Gaming Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by manhorse, Nov 17, 2008.

1. manhorse macrumors newbie

I recently purchased one of the new Macbooks. One aspect of this which I haven't seen a lot of people talk about is how it does in real world scenarios for us gamers. I installed Windows XP on the machine and installed some game demos for the newest games out as well as some I have which are within a year old. After doing some testing I've been quite surprised with how well the video card handles everything. I'm not going to sit here and post benchmarks and framerates (thats what the professional reviewers are for), but I wanted to see what other people thought.

I installed the new Tomb Raider Underworld Demo. I was expecting the video card to choke quickly, but to my surprise it handled everything really well. I ran the game at full settings and 2XX Anti-aliasing in the Macbook's native resolution. I did notice from frame rate drop when I played a scene that involved me floating in water, but it wasn't the to the point of being unplayable. Considering this is a brand new game with bleeding edge effects I think the shared video card proved quite capable. :)

2. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Tomb Raider demo runs like crap (to me) on my macbook pro with the 8600 GT......it cant possibly run good on the mac

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

Tried running Fallout 3 on this thing, terrible frames at low settings.

4. DRIVAR macrumors newbie

picky much?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I run VMware Fusion and virtualize Vista Home Premium. Try to play Rise of Nations and the graphics card does quite well. Also performance wise its very very very smooth. The only problem is that Vista will randomly crash at any point during the game and I have to force quit Fusion. Once it even made me Hard Reboot the whole Mac.

6. manhorse thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, Really. I don't know what to tell ya. I've been throwing some games at mine and it seems to be holding up well. Maybe I just have terrible standards for what I consider decent gameplay. (Shrug)

7. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Picky? 30fps is acceptable on a console on a TELEVISION....but on a computer display 30fps is downright awful IMO. (Thats how slow it looked like it was when i was on the boat to start the demo, maybe even slower)

Picky? Maybe, if all I played was the occasional game....but when you've grown up playing Quake on the PC (1,2,3 & 4) multiplayer competitively....you can really start seeing where the differences in framerates lie.

8. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

how can you complain about 30 fps?? if i could even squeeze out 15 fps on a new game on my crappy gma 950, i'd be happy.

9. pw1388 macrumors member

Here is some games i played on my macbook
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4ABDCCA05FF04E38

I think i will make an updated videos of all the games + left 4 dead since it just came out today and i have been playing the demo on my mac. and take some request for other games.

10. darienphoenix macrumors member

The Source engine runs quite happily, I played TF2 on my AlBook under Bootcamp, with decently high settings, without problems.

TF2 is no Crysis, to be sure, but it's a hell of a lot better than the piss-poor excuse for graphical ability my BlackBook had.