MacBook refresh means iMac refresh?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theking79, Feb 25, 2011.

1. theking79 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely with the new high end MacBook pro being faster than the iMacs apple will be forced to upgrade the new iMacs sooner rather than later.

The iMac has now lost it's appeal and selling point over a MacBook of being more of a powerhouse, the only thing going for it is the screen, surely Apple will have to change this?

2. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. Something has to happen in the coming days or weeks. Maybe a joint announcement with the new iPad on the second of March? Yes, I'm dreaming, but really, Apple must update their whole lineup to Thunderbolt very, very soon. I'd wager that they're going to announce a Thunderbolt-port in the new iPad next week, so I can't imagine anyone going out and dropping 2000$ on a new Mac sans Thunderbolt. This puts a lot of pressure on Apple's most popular desktop - the iMac.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm sure that's coming.

What I don't understand is the fact that they kept the white Macbook in their selection. Wouldn't someone who wants a Macbook just go with an Air? And then someone who wants a CD drive would go with the Pro? Of course, it adds another option, but I would never go with the Macbook seeing how there are so many better options.

Anyway, yes, I think there will be an iMac refresh soon and it will probably be a re-design (maybe not though - look at the new Pros).

4. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's puzzling. When the 13"-MBP leaked yesterday, I was sure it was going to be the replacement of the white MB. I really don't understand that part of the mobile lineup anymore.

5. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just think the iMac has lost everything it had going for it for me to buy one.

the iMac now feels very stale

6. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Well, obviously, it's at the very end of its cycle whereas the MBP was only just updated.

7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

What are you guys talking about? The Quad-Core iMacs have higher clock speeds, bigger hard drives, and most of all, a much more expensive 27" LED backlit display with a 2560x1440 resolution. This IPS panel alone costs $1,000 if you were to buy the Cinema Display.

Now I realize the entry level Quad-Core iMac is an i5 that can be upgraded to an i7, but the new MacBook Pro's are only faster than the dual-core iMacs at this point. So yes, the iMac is due for a processor spec bump and Thunderbolt ports, but the design of the iMac will remain the same for at least another year.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm sure the next iMac will overtake the MBPs in great strides :)

9. rugox macrumors regular

I completely agree as well. The new MBPs have trumped some of the iMac models. I actually recently purchased the core i3 27" model and of course I know it's not as fast as the quad cores, but the benchmarks on the new MBPs are amazing...it made my i3 obsolete. So, I decided and requested to return the iMac and will wait for the refreshed one in the near future.

10. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Knowing my luck. They wont release the iMacs for ages.

I want a refresh so i can get one!